Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Arc Filter/Tolerance Settings for 3D surface toolpaths?

Move your cut tolerence slider all the way to the right. Re post and see how the machine reacts. (move you "z" up 5" or whatever it takes to not hit the part)

I have time to play with a VM-3 on those settings. Much smoother, So far

I started at .010 total tolerance. Worked fine.

Changing to .005 total. I'll let you know

Machineguy

Total tol of .005, .002 worked. Cut tol slider all the way to the right.

This is what I'm testing.

Scallop finish. Part is a pully with 15 spokes. I'm cutting the top of the spokes, about 1/8 wide, at a 15 deg angle.

Stepover .005", 3/8 ball EM. 100 ipm.

second slider at 70%, 30%.

Machine runs smooth at all spoke angles.

Flipping the second slider and reposting. Runs smooth

Machineguy

we cut 3d molds all the time in aluminium, with sliders set all the way to right on our hass machines.We found that sometimes in dnc mode the machine would use up program faster than being sent which caused machine to wait for program.Found out is was baud rates not the same.WE also found that if feed rates to fast machine servos had hard time keeping up(not high speed machine).I think that when sliders are all the way to right it creates a much longer program for machine to keep up if feed rates to fast.

A VM3 only has a 50 block look-ahead ( to the best of my memory ), so if you tighten the tolerance, the machine will eat up code faster than the machine can execute, which will cause jerky movement and decreased feedrates. Setting 85 ( tolerance control ) will also have an effect on the accuracy as well as performance. G187 allows you to adjust the tolerance within the nc program.

Carmen

We've had some similar issues with older HAAS machines. One thing that helps was to have the majority of moves in 2 axis at a time and not 3 (X,Y - X,Z - not X,Y,Z). When the machine tried to process 3 axis it slowed the feed rates down to much lower than programmed.

A setting that I love is "One Way Filtering" This will combine any lines of code that follow the same linear path instead of splitting them into small segments. This can dramatically reduce program lengths depending on the part. "Minimize number of points" will try to figure out a way to create your toolpath while reducing the number of nodes that are very close to each other. This setting can reduce code as well.

I have played with creating arcs in XZ and YZ but I sometimes get tool comp on an arc instead of a line which causes an alarm at the control of course. You can post code with certain settings on and then post a different program with other settings and compare them using a file compare program (usually already in your NC editor) and see differences that way as well.

Please let us know what you find out. :laughing: