Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Right click step file, 'open with' (browse) X7

Thee Rickster ™

I'm trying to remember how I fixed this one a while back. There is a setting in the registry that is still pointing to X6 instead of X7, change that to point at X7 and it will be fine. I know it's a registry setting but since I don't have X6 on here I can't verify the path. As suggested below search the registry for "Mastercam.exe" and check for any "shell" type of entries that are pointing towards X6 and not X7.

Please be cautious when editing the registry and back it up beforehand.

• Like 1

www.nirsoft.net

FileTypesMan - File Types Manager for Windows

It's free, has no adware or other cr*p and It works,

Thanks Roger, i'll see if my IT guy will allow this.

Cheers

Rick

:Edit:

My It guy says this is a Software issue not a windows issue

and a patch (.exe) from CNC would be a more desirable remedy.

Roger, will this software allow Mc to add the X7.exe to this window.?

Solidworks is my default dbl click for most all file types, that's why its not in there.

openwith_zps765af27c.png

I uninstalled X6 and this fixed my system

SWDocumentMgr.DLL needs to be registered. It is located in the X7 "Common\SWorksData" subfolder.

It can be registered by right-clicking on it and using "Open With..." and browsing to choose \Windows\System32\regsvr32.

It can also be registered via the Mastercam Advanced Configuration tool - which is McamAdvConfig.EXE in the X7 root folder. Launch it, make sure the dropdown at the top says "Mastercam X7", then click on "Components" in the left-hand pane, and then browse to C:\Program Files\McamX7\Common\SWorksData\SWDocumentMgr.DLL (or wherever you have X7 installed), right-click on the .DLL name, and choose "Register Component".

SWDocumentMgr.DLL needs to be registered. It is located in the X7 "Common\SWorksData" subfolder.

It can be registered by right-clicking on it and using "Open With..." and browsing to choose \Windows\System32\regsvr32.

It can also be registered via the Mastercam Advanced Configuration tool - which is McamAdvConfig.EXE in the X7 root folder. Launch it, make sure the dropdown at the top says "Mastercam X7", then click on "Components" in the left-hand pane, and then browse to C:\Program Files\McamX7\Common\SWorksData\SWDocumentMgr.DLL (or wherever you have X7 installed), right-click on the .DLL name, and choose "Register Component".

Thanks Wes, I'll show this to my IT guy.

Once I prove X7 on my machine, I will set my programmer up

with it.

Rickster - I've seen this before, and unfortunately your IT guy is wrong, it's a windows-being-stubborn thing... But if you have access to the registry (AND ARE COMFORTABLE DOING THIS!), you can fix it by changing the path in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<FILE EXTENSION>\shell\open\command\ and edit the Default key. There may be a duplicate entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead, I can't remember. Fill in <File Extension> with whatever you're trying to load, like .stp. That's what Rogers' app does for you.. As always, back up any changes, etc..

I'm trying to remember how I fixed this one a while back. There is a setting in the registry that is still pointing to X6 instead of X7, change that to point at X7 and it will be fine. I think it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/CNC Software, Inc./Mastercam X7 --> Directory. But I'm not positive. I know it's a registry setting but since I don't have X6 on here I can't verify the path.

Please be cautious when editing the registry and back it up beforehand.

the way i found it was to searching the registry for "mastercam.exe" and when you find the one listed under the applications folder, open up all the drop downs till you see "command" then simply change the directory to 7 instead of 6, after i did that it now gives me the option under the "open with" to use x7 or x6 when opening up x6 files from explorer

this also worked for cimco opening up with the old version despite repeatedly selecting the open with program

• Like 1
I think it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/CNC Software, Inc./Mastercam X7 --> Directory

Yikes!!! - Don't mess with that!

You can check this "Directory" entry under that key to make sure that it points to the "proper" folder where Mastercam X# is installed.

It will point to the correct folder unless someone has changed it after the Product was installed.

*** But do NOT change this in an attempt to "adjust" your Open With preferences!!! ***

Wish you could drag files into MC like our other Softwares.

In X8 => YES

Drag 'n Drop onto the Mastercam graphics area to Open

Hold [Control] and Drag 'n Drop onto the Mastercam graphics area to Merge/Pattern

• Like 1

That should work. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem?

the X7 icon opens X6 when I use 'open with' method

(i have to get any software approved through

It these days).... X7 seems to be the only software that wont work

with, open with. I think he is going to invetgat Wes's method tomorrow

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'll let you know which solution

he uses

Wes, this particular "step file" was created in Pro E, not a Solid works 'native' file.

I just tried a 'step file' created in Solid works and it still wants to open the X6 file

I also just tried the open with in Powermill 2014, and i have 2013 installed,

it open in PM 2014 with out a hitch.

You created a file association to .STP (or .STEP) file extension and when you click on a file of that type it opens in the “wrong” program.

As Aaron mentioned – “it's a windows-being-stubborn thing...”

* Don’t un-install/re-install the application, as the chances of that actually making a positive difference is slim to none.

If you don’t want to use an “external” utility such as NirSoft’s (free) FileTypeMan.

And you have access to the Registry,

it’s fairly simple to alter the program Windows uses to open a .STP (or other file type) file.

Under the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive of the Registry,

Window’s will have created an entry for “.STP” files when you created file original file association.

You’ll find the key for the extension here (FYI: Windows added the “_auto_file” onto the extension name) ->

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\STP_auto_file

Expand the sub-keys: -> shell->open->command

Under the command key you’ll find the program Windows will use for this extension.

Just edit this (Default) value to point to the desired program.

Say I want to have X6 open these .STP type files, but they are opening using X7. ;(

*** Before making this change, Export the contents of the STP_auto_file branch. ***

Right click on the STP_auto_file key and select Export to save off a backup of this Registry branch - just in case :)

Then change change the application you want to use to open this file type ->

"C:\Program Files\mcamx7\Mastercam.exe" "%1"

To ->

"C:\Program Files\mcamx6\Mastercam.exe" "%1"

Close RegEdit and test it out. (No re-boot or system restart is needed.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may never encounter the following, but just in case, it's worth a mention.

If after making an Open With change within the Registry, the Windows Installer fires up when you double-click on your file type. :crazy:

You've run into the Darwin Descriptor.

What you do here is up to you.

What I do is rename (or delete) the command (Name) value that is under the command key.

The command (Name) value has the Data (of type: REG_MULTI_SZ) that looks like gibberish.

This will kill the "self-healing" functionality of Windows Installer for this file type <-> application.