Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Running out of room 5 axis

loraxian

I've been working on a program to run in a HAAS VF2 (or something I'm not at work) it's about the smallest machine you can put a trunion in. Despite my many attempts I keep running out of room in either the Z or Y axis.

Basically the program rotates the trunion about X (A axis) and then does most of the machining by rotating B with slight moves on the the other four axis.

I think it would work if I could rototate the trunion the other way. How do I do that?

I've never worked with a Haas trunion machine before so I have no idea

if this will work on not.

Check out the attached screen shot of the Misc page of the Haas VF-TR post

Be very careful and review your resulting code.

My Okuma trunion post would sometimes output the desired initial

moves , then immediately spin the saddle back the wrong way

resulting in a violent ( virtual) crash.

I finally gave up on MPGen posts and purchased one from ICAM

I've been working on a program to run in a HAAS VF2 (or something I'm not at work) it's about the smallest machine you can put a trunion in. Despite my many attempts I keep running out of room in either the Z or Y axis.

Basically the program rotates the trunion about X (A axis) and then does most of the machining by rotating B with slight moves on the the other four axis.

I think it would work if I could rototate the trunion the other way. How do I do that?

There are a couple values you need to change in the post. I use the generic Haas 5x trunion post for a trunion with the tilt axis along the X.

With a trunion mounted 90 deg. (which is what I think your trying to do), I use the same post, but with the following changes to the post

• rotaxis1$ = vecx

rotdir1$ = -vecy

rotaxis2$ = vecz

rotdir2$ = vecy

I've never worked with a Haas trunion machine before so I have no idea

if this will work on not.

Check out the attached screen shot of the Misc page of the Haas VF-TR post

Be very careful and review your resulting code.

My Okuma trunion post would sometimes output the desired initial

moves , then immediately spin the saddle back the wrong way

resulting in a violent ( virtual) crash.

I finally gave up on MPGen posts and purchased one from ICAM

Hey Gcode, Could you give me a little more details on how those misc values work. I program a DMG DMF 260 but have never messed with those cause I'm not really sure what they do. Thank you.

Per Gcode's picture, if the secondary axis misc integer is set to 1 it tilts the work piece toward the operator, if it is set to 2 it tilts the work piece away making it damn near impossible to see what is going on. Tilting the work away is safer however because there is much less chance of smacking the A-axis with the spindle at extreme angles. If you want it to default to 2 simply edit your post or machine definition and make that misc integer 2 by default. Before Vericut I always wanted the work indexed toward me so I could clearly see what was going on and check for issues. With Vericut I prefer to tilt the work away and go get a cup of coffee.

I have two parallel cut tool paths on two different surfaces (I'm using one for roughing) If I change the misc parameters as described above I can get the trunion to rotate on one of the operations but not the other.

I also edited the post as described by guyinthedesert and saved the file with an alternate name but now I can't figure out how to swap post files.

Anybody?

5AXIS_FORUM.MCX-6

I have two parallel cut tool paths on two different surfaces (I'm using one for roughing) If I change the misc parameters as described above I can get the trunion to rotate on one of the operations but not the other.

I also edited the post as described by guyinthedesert and saved the file with an alternate name but now I can't figure out how to swap post files.

Anybody?

I'm not sure what the proper way to do it is, but here's what I do. Change the extension on your old post to something else, like .pstxxx

When you go to post the file, now since the old post file doesn't exist, it will say Invalid Post File, and now it will allow you to choose a new one.