Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to learn mastercam?

Live_Wire

I am a senior in high school. I want to start to learn mastercam but there are no classes on that sort of thing at my school. Should I just start buying books on the program? I am a complete novice. I do have a demo version of v9 from my aunt who uses mastercam. I could work out some time with using actual machines with my aunt, but she lives like an hour and a half away so I cant go out there for instruction very often. Do you think just learning the program on my own at home with books will give me a base good enough to go and semi know what I am doing when I do visit a real work area? Thanks for help.

If you have a demo version, you have all you need to start learning stuff.

Like Tony said there are tons of sample files.

Get in there and start messing with things.

Just when it asks you to save, don't. Say no for now so the sample files wont get changed.

Especially observe the way in which things are done.

Mastercam is so user friendly, that since your mind has not been corrupted by using other Cad-Cam packages, it should make learning very easy.

The help menu is outstanding. When you come to a problem you need help on, check the ?

Having basic machining and or drafting knowledge is important, and you should seek to learn in both of these feilds as well.

Have fun and welcome to the Forums.

Live wire,

Welcome to the best place for knowledge. wink.gif

quote:

Mastercam is so user friendly, that since your mind has not been corrupted by using other Cad-Cam packages, it should make learning very easy.

+1 on that Murlin cheers.gif

The books offered here on this site are a good place to start.

Ask your Aunt if you can borrow the books that came with her software.

If she is proficient in mastercam,these books are only collecting dust anyway. biggrin.gif

They are great to start with.

Also there are cd's you can purchase that will show you step by step.

And remember,you can always find answers here. cheers.gif

Check here:

http://www.tipsformanufacturing.com/

[ 10-13-2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: BUCKET HEAD ]

Welcome Live_Wire,

If you can get your hands on the "Handbooks" Volumes 1-3, you will have an even better source for learning on your own. wink.gif These manuals contain alot of great information. biggrin.gif I wish they had been available when I was just getting started. My compliments cheers.gif to all who help with the creation of these manuals. Then when you need some more help or input, come back here, because this is the best place to get the right answers. wink.gif Good luck!

I would not even spend much time learning Mastercam until you've had a chance ( a few years) to run some machine tools, preferrably starting with manual machines. Once you have learned the basics of workholding, tooling, metal characteristics, etc., you will be a far superior CNC programmer compared to someone who jumped straight to CAD/CAM.

Live Wire,

I recall reading and watching something about Mastercam getting involved in alot of highschools and community colleges who can offer classes to "pre-graduates".

Maybe theres some training you can get in the evening at a local comm. college ? I know some highschools trade students so they can take course only offered at a particular school, kinda like a local "exchange student".Definately get some drafting adn manufacturing knowledge to go with it(if you haven't already)

Anybody else hear anything about this...don't remember much more about it.

Good Luck

quote:

I'm a Live wire,LIVE WIRE !!

Bon Scott

biggrin.gif Heh,heh classic(remember the Crue's tune Live Wire ?)

Sorry to Hear that Live_Wire i was 14 when I got started. I had a negibor who had a knee mill and a lathe and he use to race go karts and make things all the time. I got to help him make all kinda of things. I then took three years at high school while also taking my AP classes at regular school. I was arogant enough at your age that I pissed everyone off that took about 7 to 8 years to wear-off. I went to one place and they had a CNC-mill I applied and they asked me if thought I could run it. I told them hell yeah give me a book and I will get it done. I was lucky cause i had learned alot about programming and what they could do back in highschool so I was lucky enough to be given a chance. I kicked xxxx they were doing production on part and I showed them what soft jwas were for holding odd ball parts. It just made sense to me and clicked, but the big difference was I took the books home stayed after on my time and gave it 150% while all my freidn were off at the Bars drinking and doing stupid crqap I was learning and doing alot on my own time. I did that for about 7 years and befroe I knew it I knew more than most and been in about 12 places in that tiem span. Most people say this is a bad thing to do but If I didnt go after what I thought I shoudl have out of life I would still be runnign that same machine I started on making $9 to $10 an hour wishing I had taking so chances in life. I say find a school close to you or far from you and take soem classes but I promise you show soem inrest and your willing to put up with soem crap and people will show you.

I also tell you this ask intellgent questions and stupid question keep notebooks on everything you do and everymachine you run. Dont be affraid to walk if the place isnt right or you are not getting anywhere. This is a dying profession and glad to hear you want ot get into it. Oh yeah one otehr thing I did from your age till about 26 was buy tool and more tool and more tools. I have about 5 toolboxes full of Machinist and handtools. I have my own Starrett GRade A surface plate as well as Gauge Block, to Andvil Thread Mics to 4" and Starrett outside,inside to 12" and a whole alot more. This was my motto If I had to borrow it I bought it. A real good place to look is in Pawn shops and olny pay 15-20% of book cost. Well I hope I have given you food for thought and wish you all the luck in the world. It is great you want ot learn mastercam but there is more to this job than just learning how this program works. I have some rocket tips right now that are over 42" long and will end up having a .09 wall thinkness customer want them machined on the od and held to a true position tolerance of .005 which is about .0007 in x and y and flatness tolerance of .005. If that sound like a lot that is a typical job around this place lately. Of cousre they dont think I am crazy for no reason.

Crazy Millman whewwwwww did I type that. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

[ 10-14-2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Live wire !

Welcome to this board ! cheers.gif

You must learn general machining !

Get some books about shop theory .starting from how to hold file while filing a part and to sharp a drill , to use a caliper and micrometer ,and ending with milling ,lathing and grinding .

Find some shop they`ll be ready to take you even as a chip sweeper !

Practice is important thing in life and you can not success in this trade only with theoretical knowledge .

Most good programmers have a practice in machining !

Start to learn Mastercam parallel to your work experience and if you are not afraid of dirty hands ,noise,overtime ,underpaiment,nerve attacks,

stupid bosses,always work in haste doing some $$$$$ parts you must never scrape ,dumb operators,crazy designers ,and all the world agains you - you `ll succeed if you`ll learn after working 12 hours shift ,learn every day of your life ,thinking about your work while talking with your girlfriend ,learning from this man ,from here,from there, learning all you life !!!

And you`ll be proud of your profession and your deeds ,doing real things ,feeling that you worth something in this life disregarding all the bad things in this trade !

This trade lacks young man !

If you looking for a nice cool work place you better become a lawyer !

Iskander teh CNC crazy moldmaker

[ 10-14-2003, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

quote:

Sure I spent almost as much time re-programming what he did, but hey, no biggie right?

LOL ,Matty !

I had such experience 2 !

This man as a rule have huge imagination , or simply NGAF for operators .

If he wish to rewrite this ,who cares ?

Never saw good programmer without machining experience .

Iskander teh dirty hands frown.gif