Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

oscillate tool along contour?

Ripper3785

We'll be doing alot of straight cuts in wood, and here's the scenario. One of our flat cutters has about 5" height of cut and the edges that we'll be cutting most of the time is 1.75". So, other than drawing a curvy contour under the edge of my stock, is there a setting in MC somewhere to make the tool oscillate up and down along the contour so that the inserts on the tool all get even wear, thus eliminating the possibility of creating ridges when we use the tool to cut taller stock?

Ripper teh run-on sentence masta

You mean you are side cutting and want to use full flute for even wear ? Could ya do a ramp with a steep angle and lighter cuts. Might get a funny squiggly finish , but smooth. Done it with releived cutters with flute length shorter than edge that is getting finished.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the ideas all.

It's a CMS 5ax mahcine with a 16 pos toolchange magazine. The tool in question is in fact an insert cutter tool, 58 inserts. dia is about 4.5"

My other issue with this is, on the table we're gonna have retractable ref. stops to position the parts, and I don't know what the height of the retracted ref stops are yet(machine gets here next week), so I may not be able to do this anyway.

Hi Rick, sorry I'm a little late on this one but yes you can do it by playing with tabs by putting a ramp motion (in tabs settings) instead of vertical moves and you put a small angle like 5 deg. and it gives you the exact result you need. No I didn't think to this by my self, a customer asked me the same thing once and after playing with it, I founded that and it worked.HTH!

Simon! cool.gif

quote:

So, other than drawing a curvy contour under the edge of my stock,

OK Here is my .02;;

Make a cury surface the size of your table.

Make a 2d wire shape (a four leaf clover??)

Make a program and use project onto a surface.

ok it works,,, Now save it

so now when you want to use that tool , you will import your existing operation with tool speed feed and surface already to go. (as if it is a MC feature)

Rechain the new 2-d ,,,and regen.

Scott

Ramp isn't the answer as there will always be an even amount of material length of engagment and the wear will not be distributed properly as the user is requesting. If this is added to the wish list for future versions - this type of technology would be applicable to high temperature turning profiles as well. Anyone from Marketing lurking??