Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Manually hand wheeling on a fixed angle?

The workload at my job has switched and we have been seeing longer parts. Usually just a few inches longer than our largest vmc or having to been put in the largest vmc because the middle of the pack vmcs are a hair too short. Normally we slide parts to accommodate this. However, we are now trying to angle the parts and do operations in one shot. On the programming end its fine. But, trying to get vises lined up on a certain angle provides an added nuance. Can work offset rotation be applied to the mpg function? I was told it could be, but have not found anything online. Putting a bar in the vises and calculating the change in x and y is going to be too difficult for the mathematically challenged. Any input would be great, thanks.

Guest MTB Technical Services

G68 Coordinate System Rotation needs to be active.

Once it is, you'll be able to use the MPG wheel for X and Y and have it follow the angle.

Just MDI the G68 command and it will be active until you MDI G69 or hit reset.

The reset behavior is totally controlled by the machine builder.

Once it is, you'll be able to use the MPG wheel for X and Y and have it follow the angle.

Learn something new everyday. I never knew that good trick thanks.

I found that this is machine/controller dependent. it works on some of our machines...not on others. Most machines we have the G68 does not work while in MPG mode. Works fine when running a program tho.

I found that this is machine/controller dependent. it works on some of our machines...not on others. Most machines we have the G68 does not work while in MPG mode. Works fine when running a program tho.

That will always be the case as it's the MTB who control the implementation of the MPG in the PMC.

That said, you shouldn't have any issue on most FANUC controlled machines using an Oi-MC or greater.

Bummer, this does not work on our Makinos :(

That doesn't surprise me.

Makino's bragging about their Pro-5 is all hot air.

They use FANUC hardware and then try to claim their implementation is more accurate.

Smoke and mirrors.

Unfortunately, this functionality is all under the control of the builder and their PMC.

No but use the old school way. Make a G1 Increment move from your start to your end. Then do the move back to the start. Use M99 so it is a loop in MDI and good to go or make program on the control as a macro for the operators that does this. Put in Single block mode and then the can do it just like they were running the machine. Hit the cycle start to run back and forth across the angle. Adjust the Y axis till you come in contact with the Jaw and repeat the process till dialed in. I would also use a TGP shaft to help align many vices in a line very quick. Was good since I would take a hook and grab under the center of 4 or 10 vices and pick them off the table pretty quick as well.

• Like 1

YCM with MXP200 and Mighty VIPER with 16/18i (don't recall). Both work when programmed, not in handle, sad face. Maybe a parameter that automatically turns it off when changing to handle??? Personally just putting a bar in the vises and checking a few points is plenty fast. But I see tears and long setup times ahead. When it take five hours to indicate two vises straight and cut jaws, I can only imagine.

If I am understanding this correctly you could you not just set a sine plate at the angle clamp it in or to the vice and indicate it? This would allow you to hand wheel in x or y to a zero reading on your indicator and end up with the angle you want.

I like the Fanuc WEDM for this. I just need to do 2 edge finds along the length and enter a 4 digit code and it tells me the angle part is on. I then just enter that angle in the axis rotation and all moves run parallel to x and y.