Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probably doesn't matter what SOP you come up with you'll probably still have a group of folks with the "not my responsibility" attitude.

I would always clean out the chips

wash down the machine with coolant

spray the vises with WD-40

take the tool out of the spindle and wipe it with WD-40 ( leave it out till morning other wise you'll create a vacuum )

all of our machines were assigned to us, so if you wanted to live like a pig it was on you

more often than not the ones livin' like pigs needed the most maintenance

around here it's like this;

Make sure the enclosure is filled with chips up to the door

The coolant tank should be low enough that the pump is sucking air

DO NOT add way oil until the machine alarms out.

Pins and gages from the previous job should be scattered across the workbench

Pins and gages for the current job should be nowhere in sight.

If your parts are on a cart, make sure they are accompanied by several empty potato chip bags and Monster energy cans

And always remember to leave dirty rags EVERYWHERE

• Like 4

CJep,

Our machines are not assigned to individuals. That would be nice, but it's not practicle here.

Desert Guy,

I'm glad I don't work there.

Common sense is to keep the machine free of debris, way covers, pallet, table, clean. Chip auger and bin clean. The location pads on the pallets clean. Back in the day when I ran a machine the thing looked showroon new all the time. What happened to the talent pool out there.

around here it's like this;

Make sure the enclosure is filled with chips up to the door

The coolant tank should be low enough that the pump is sucking air

DO NOT add way oil until the machine alarms out.

Pins and gages from the previous job should be scattered across the workbench

Pins and gages for the current job should be nowhere in sight.

If your parts are on a cart, make sure they are accompanied by several empty potato chip bags and Monster energy cans

And always remember to leave dirty rags EVERYWHERE

Don't forget the empty coffee cups...

Worked at a place once that had the lower cost janitorial kid cleaning up. He used to leave his coffee cup anywhere and everywhere. One day a co-worker and I hung it up in the rafters after telling him to stop leaving it lay around. Took him about a week and a half before he spotted it. After a couple of tosses with a broom to get it down he finally hit the bottom of the cup which poured out all over him. He never left the cup sit around again. 

Also you get what you pay for even with a janitorial service would you really want them messing with one of your CNC's?

I bought a few Rousseau tool cabinets to put at each machine to help keep things clean. Those suckers are expensive and if I walk by and there are items on them that aren't used every cycle (gage pins, vise wrench, etc...) the operator hears about it every time. Nothing wastes more time than looking for calipers, wrenches, pins, etc... The most expensive measuring tool in my shop was the calipers because we wasted to much &^%$ time looking for them. After buying the tool boxes and a few more sets of calipers they are easy to find if they are put away properly. I don't worry so much about chips in the machines as long as they don't back up the coolant flow but keeping the coolant and oil levels topped off is important. We check both every morning and twice a day if we are running hard. It never fails that the machine will alarm in the middle of a 3 hour surfacing toolpath that needs a perfect finish...

Pretty much everyone is responsible for their own machine and the floor around it.

We take the last 10 minutes of the work day to sweep up and clean the machine.

I have a small garden hose fitted with a locline and snap that onto my coolant line to wash the interior of my VMC.

Of course there's always that one guy that is a disgusting pig and his coolant looks like watered down coffee and stinks to high hell.

Control is filthy, I refuse to touch that mill, and I can only imagine what his house looks like. Gross!

Of course there's always that one guy that is a disgusting pig and his coolant looks like watered down coffee and stinks to high hell.

Control is filthy, I refuse to touch that mill, and I can only imagine what his house looks like. Gross!

I know it's not CNC machining but I worked in a diesel repair shop when I was in HS. We had a garbage truck come in that require a transmission rebuild. The mech climbed in the truck and had to step lively to avoid the chew piles on the floor. He dammed near hurled by the time he got the truck into the bay. He was locating the bolts for the trans and ended up with a hand-full of maggots. We promptly moved the truck to the wash bay, opened both doors, blasted the inside out with the high pressure washer and emptied 1/2 case of Lysol into the truck.

The owner come to pickup the truck and was so impressed he said he had three other truck to clean out as well,... :crazy:

dang! cjep that reminds me of a place i worked at as a setup operator, and there was this small open bed style mill in the shop that always had tons of oil dry all around the front and i finally figured out why, it was because the day guy would chew cut tobacco and spit it in the oil dry!! :thumbdown: NASTY!! 

but our ethic on the keeping the machines area clean is this, if anybody has time to bs talk or play with the cell phone they have time to clean up, this includes all employees, we bring current and potential customers in the shop so its gotta look impressive

same thing goes with inside the machine, i put valves (its not that hard to do and its relatively inexpensive)on all the machines flood coolant pumps so they can shut the flood off to the spindle and hose the inside off, and be sure to caution operators not to use air guns or you'll end up with chips jammed in places they shouldn't be or piled up under the waycovers