Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Setting curves on a solid

Hertz

Is this possible? I get solid models a lot and usually end up converting to surface, then creating curves so I can pick geometry. Is there a better way that I'm missing?

I have a part that has multiple holes that need drilling and some contour milling. I can't select a chain or an entity.

From the Menu use - Create - Curve One Edge, or Create - Curve All Edges - these both work on solids

One Edge will do only one edge, whereas All Edges will do all the edges of what you currently have selected, ie all edges of one or multiple faces, or all edges of the entire solid..

I cannot attest to whether or not this works if you don't have a license for solids, but it definitely does work if you have the solids option.

Is this possible? I get solid models a lot and usually end up converting to surface, then creating curves so I can pick geometry. Is there a better way that I'm missing?

I have a part that has multiple holes that need drilling and some contour milling. I can't select a chain or an entity.

This is why I like Esprit. I can work right off the solid.

From the Menu use - Create - Curve One Edge, or Create - Curve All Edges - these both work on solids

One Edge will do only one edge, whereas All Edges will do all the edges of what you currently have selected, ie all edges of one or multiple faces, or all edges of the entire solid..

I cannot attest to whether or not this works if you don't have a license for solids, but it definitely does work if you have the solids option.

Even without a solids licence you can create curves on the edges and use the edge as toolpath geometry. You just cant move or modify the solid itself.

Even without a solids licence you can create curves on the edges and use the edge as toolpath geometry. You just cant move or modify the solid itself.

I don't have solids on Mastercam, but if I did can you do wire edm work from solids on mastercam? 

I can select one edge at a time no problem but there is a lot of edges I need a curve on. I'm probably doing it wrong, but when I select a curve to be on all edges, I cannot select anything. Nothing highlights, and I can't even do it with a window selection.

If I have a face that has 20 holes for example, I want every hole to have a curve, how do I select just that face, without selecting each hole?

I do have the solids add on by the way.

EDIT - By the way I cannot create a curve on all edges, it just refuses to allow me to select anything.

I can select one edge at a time no problem but there is a lot of edges I need a curve on. I'm probably doing it wrong, but when I select a curve to be on all edges, I cannot select anything. Nothing highlights, and I can't even do it with a window selection.

If I have a face that has 20 holes for example, I want every hole to have a curve, how do I select just that face, without selecting each hole?

I do have the solids add on by the way.

EDIT - By the way I cannot create a curve on all edges, it just refuses to allow me to select anything.

I think you need to create a surface from a solid first and then create the curves.

Hertz, you need to activate solid selection (brown box with a green check mark X8) than you can select the options, face or entire solid.

Select "create curve on all edges". Mastercam will prompt to select the solid body or face. You need to click on the "Activate solid selection" button before you can select anything.

Perfect, that was it. Appreciate the help fellas.

If you're importing solids from .prt, parasolid, and other formats, just tick the option to create edge curves on import from the options window. Better yet, you can set MC to do this in the config and then it will always do it.

Creating curves from surfaces should be your last resort. Surfaces have mating edges and each edge has it's own curve. You end up with a bunch of overlapping crap. Creating curves from the solid eliminates this headache. Same goes from selecting multiple solid faces...select the whole body to get the cleanest geometry.

Even if you forget to create new levels first, it's nothing to quick mask All-Wireframe and change levels/colors. Same with quick mask solids, surfaces, etc. To automate things even more, save a CSV file with all of your level names. Open the levels manager->right click->Get named levels->select your .CSV file->Open. You now have all of your standard levels named. Then, quick mask each type and move to the appropriate level.

• Like 2

one more thing to do.

Start a different level, make it active before you create the curves. Now you can turn off the solid as needed.

Oh and use a different color then the solid also.

Machineguy

This is an old habit already. Do it all the time with Surfaces, and it did not change when I did it with the solid. Automatic habit :D

• Like 1

If you're importing solids from .prt, parasolid, and other formats, just tick the option to create edge curves on import from the options window. Better yet, you can set MC to do this in the config and then it will always do it.

Creating curves from surfaces should be your last resort. Surfaces have mating edges and each edge has it's own curve. You end up with a bunch of overlapping crap. Creating curves from the solid eliminates this headache. Same goes from selecting multiple solid faces...select the whole body to get the cleanest geometry.

Even if you forget to create new levels first, it's nothing to quick mask All-Wireframe and change levels/colors. Same with quick mask solids, surfaces, etc. To automate things even more, save a CSV file with all of your level names. Open the levels manager->right click->Get named levels->select your .CSV file->Open. You now have all of your standard levels named. Then, quick mask each type and move to the appropriate level.

Thad I always advised against setting it this way in the config. Reason is all the extra entities that come into a file that may not be needed. A part with 30000 faces on it could produce 500k in entities. You are going to go in and pick that many features for machining? I think the create them as you need them has always served me well. Hertz turn if on for now, but I have always taught people to do what you need and the create curve on edge or all edges then using Solid Selection allows a programmer that level of control without having to sort through 1000's of entities to see which one is really they one they wanted. Hopefully you find the balance you need and get it going in the direction that does not create to much extra work for you.

HTH

Thad I always advised against setting it this way in the config. Reason is all the extra entities that come into a file that may not be needed. A part with 30000 faces on it could produce 500k in entities. You are going to go in and pick that many features for machining? I think the create them as you need them has always served me well. Hertz turn if on for now, but I have always taught people to do what you need and the create curve on edge or all edges then using Solid Selection allows a programmer that level of control without having to sort through 1000's of entities to see which one is really they one they wanted. Hopefully you find the balance you need and get it going in the direction that does not create to much extra work for you.

HTH

Same here, I create only what I need. Most of the time it will be harder to sort through all the entities than to just create them as needed.