Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mill/turn lathe w/Y axis post processor

BenzB

Not yet as I am not looking for a custom post. Just looking to see which generic post that ships with Mcam would be best to start with. Thought I'd use the knowledge base of the users first.

Guest MTB Technical Services

MacroBMan,

These are Korean Machines that are essentially copies of Doosan and Samsung.

I would take a good look at the new Miil-Turn app from CNC Software.

You'll get the synchronization that you won't get with the standard MC Lathe.

Single Turret, Shouldn't be any anything to sync.

Oh really? What do you do with the sub-spindle for part transfers or long part support?

MacroBMan,

Really? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist Tim :)

• Like 1

MacroBMan,

Single Turret, Shouldn't be any anything to sync.

Tim I have to agree here. Single Turret with Dual Spindle doesn't need sync codes. Dual tutter or Triple turret would need that and we would also have to cosndier the turret sync process as well if we want Upper Left and Lower Left Sync or Upper Right and Lower Right Sync or all 3 turrets to sync is doing triple turret balanced processes.

Colin good work there. Now all you need to do it make the snyc code process and give us stream output and life will be great. :unworthy: :unworthy:

Oh really? What do you do with the sub-spindle for part transfers or long part support?

Never seen wait codes on a single turret machine before... :headscratch:

Tim I have to agree here. Single Turret with Dual Spindle doesn't need sync codes. Dual tutter or Triple turret would need that and we would also have to cosndier the turret sync process as well if we want Upper Left and Lower Left Sync or Upper Right and Lower Right Sync or all 3 turrets to sync is doing triple turret balanced processes.

Colin good work there. Now all you need to do it make the snyc code process and give us stream output and life will be great. :unworthy: :unworthy:

You still need to sync both spindles for part transfer/cut-off or stock pull out and turn/mill between spindles. Some machines can get somewhat complicated when it comes to using thier own codes.

You still need to sync both spindles for part transfer/cut-off or stock pull out and turn/mill between spindles. Some machines can get somewhat complicated when it comes to using thier own codes.

Dan I will say my experience with Hwacheon, Nakamura, Okuma, Mori and Mazak that were this configuration did not require sync codes to transfer parts with a single turret. You have a part in either spindle you then move the sub spindle to the main spindle. You clamp the part and you release it. You make your program in the order it should do things again on a single turret machine you should not need wait codes. Are their machine out there that require I have no clue. I cannot say evey single turret machine does or doesn't. With my limited experience with these machines the singles turret machines I have programmed with 2 spindles didn't.

Yes it get complicated, but in all reality a transfer is a pretty basic set of instructions. Either stuff is in the way or it is not. Either. Chuck is open or it is close. You are gripping the part or you are not. Do you have a part off process or a simple single pick off? Do you have a multi-step pull? I have made a sleeve for a live center to diameter of a shoulder on the part I will be holding. I face the part turn about 6" of the part and then pull it out to. Dowel pin in the B head. I then bring the sub spindle up with the live center and then turn the part and do all milling needed. I then back the sub spindle away and remove the live center. I then put the whole part inside of the sub spindle and do all the work I need to do on the other end. Part comes out complete. Many ways to machine a part and really just comes to what a programmer needs to do on the machine to machine the part.

While this is true, some machines do require a Sync code for things like parting off a workpiece while both chucks are engaged (Okuma, I'm looking at you!), this is typically done via a M-code.

Ever since X7 was released, there is a very handy "Pickoff/Barpull/Cutoff" utility that was created as a Lathe Miscellaneous Operation. While it does take a little work to configure the post to be setup properly to use it, the utility makes it possible to control both the main and Sub Spindle for just about any Dual Spindle, Single Turret machine.

There are some idiosyncrasies in X7 and X8 when using the "Pickoff/Barpull/Cutoff" utility. Namely, when you use the utility, you can see the operation sequence in Backplot, but the sequence of events isn't 100% displayed correctly. This happens when you have a Cutoff operation, and you are "parking" the Cutoff tool prior to engaging the Sub Spindle. Backplot will show the tool going into position, but then shows it retracting and going home. In reality, the post has been setup to suppress this retract movement, and keeps the cutoff tool in position. All of the rest of the operations  (moving the chuck, clamping, unclamping, pulling, ect.) are supported.

With that kind of machine, there is very little reason to consider switching over to the new Mill-Turn product. Especially since there are so few machines that are fully supported in the new Mill-Turn module. The new Mill-Turn does great for B-Axis Lathes with a Horizontal configuration. The currently don't support VTL based Mill-Turns, Steady Rests, or Tailstocks. Also, I'm not sure if they have done anything with the Dual Turret or Triple Turret machines that Ron has mentioned. Anyone know if support for these machines is on the horizon? 

Never seen wait codes on a single turret machine before... :headscratch:

Who said anything about wait codes?

What I said was to to at least take a look at the new Mill/urn app as you get the synchronization you don't get in the regular MC Lathe.

• Like 1

Ron, please read what I actually wrote.

What I said was to to at least take a look at the new Mill/urn app as you get the synchronization you don't get in the regular MC Lathe.

Positioning the secondary spindle for long part support and all transfer ops is much easier in the Mill/Turn app

and you get the benefit of actually seeing it in the simulation.

I'm fully aware of what to consider when synching turrets.

• Like 1

I have not experianced the new mill/turn module. We purchased 2 Takasawa 4000/don't remember, nor can I spell it. It took about 20 lines of code, 2 sub spindel collets and a buch of scap parts. This was pretty simple when we did it with our (6) Moris'. The new Tak's use fanuc controls also. I guess what I am saying your (with all do respects) blanket statments can't aply to all.

PS. I would have thought that after many years of paying maint on the lathe module and not getting squat when it comes to updates, the milll /turn would have been part of lathe.

PS. I would have thought that after many years of paying maint on the lathe module and not getting squat when it comes to updates, the milll /turn would have been part of lathe.

That was always my thought as well. Having been a long time loyal user of Mastercam with a lathe, mill level 3 and multi axis licence, and putting up with the sub standard sub spindle/mill turn operations for so long, I would have thought that would qualify for some kind of upgrade. But no, it was just the sound of a cash register ringing.

While this is true, some machines do require a Sync code for things like parting off a workpiece while both chucks are engaged (Okuma, I'm looking at you!), this is typically done via a M-code.

Ever since X7 was released, there is a very handy "Pickoff/Barpull/Cutoff" utility that was created as a Lathe Miscellaneous Operation. While it does take a little work to configure the post to be setup properly to use it, the utility makes it possible to control both the main and Sub Spindle for just about any Dual Spindle, Single Turret machine.

There are some idiosyncrasies in X7 and X8 when using the "Pickoff/Barpull/Cutoff" utility. Namely, when you use the utility, you can see the operation sequence in Backplot, but the sequence of events isn't 100% displayed correctly. This happens when you have a Cutoff operation, and you are "parking" the Cutoff tool prior to engaging the Sub Spindle. Backplot will show the tool going into position, but then shows it retracting and going home. In reality, the post has been setup to suppress this retract movement, and keeps the cutoff tool in position. All of the rest of the operations  (moving the chuck, clamping, unclamping, pulling, ect.) are supported.

With that kind of machine, there is very little reason to consider switching over to the new Mill-Turn product. Especially since there are so few machines that are fully supported in the new Mill-Turn module. The new Mill-Turn does great for B-Axis Lathes with a Horizontal configuration. The currently don't support VTL based Mill-Turns, Steady Rests, or Tailstocks. Also, I'm not sure if they have done anything with the Dual Turret or Triple Turret machines that Ron has mentioned. Anyone know if support for these machines is on the horizon? 

I can say with first-hand experience that yes, it's coming. I'm currently working with CNC to get our Okuma LT2000EX-MY twin-spindle twin-turret lathes up to par. There is actually a part running right now that was programmed with it. I'm not sure how wide the field of supported machines is, though, and I'm inclined to believe it's not much more that one. ^^^^