Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis & simulation software

Yes, and No. Sure, having Vericut to check your actual NC code is amazing, and awesome. BUT... Vericut is only as good as it was setup to be. It takes a lot of work to configure both the Machine and the Control file in Vericut to work properly and simulate all aspects of your NC code output. You can pay CGTech to develop the files for you, but it does cost a fair amount of money to get this done. (Or, you have to learn it all yourself, and set it up.)

Coming from a Multi-Axis world, I've done plenty of 5X work without the benefit of using Vericut. Since you are new to 5X machining and programming, getting some good training on how to setup and drive Mastercam to output 5X code would be my first priority. The Machine Simulation in Mastercam won't verify your actual NC code, this is true. So you won't be able to catch things like your "axis unwind" moves. However, it is much better than "nothing", and can often be used just to check for things like fixture design, or tool clearance.

So the first thing is actual Multi-Axis training, and making sure you know how to manipulate the Gen Fan 5X Mill Post, before you worry about Simulation software. That said, Vericut is the ultimate tool in terms of proving out your NC program. I would hate to work at a place that didn't have it. (I use it daily!)

• Like 2

We got our first true 5axis Matsuura before Camplete was available. (V-Max800 5ax). Yes it is possible to run without simulation. Yes it is scary. Yes when we got a MAM72-63v it came with Camplete. Yes life was better and my sphincter relaxed after doing so.

You are looking at a head/head style machine correct? That rules out Matsuura and Camplete...as Camplete has decided to team up with a limited number of builders.

One option...and I don't know how valid it is...I have heard that Postability does simulation inside of mastercam. They get all the crazy shiz set up for you. (to what extent the simulation is done I have no idea...just another avenue worth looking into) Its still not simulating the actual G-code, but its infinitely better than nothing. Plus the guy from Postability is somewhat in your neighborhood. Just a thought......

One option...and I don't know how valid it is...I have heard that Postability does simulation inside of mastercam. They get all the crazy shiz set up for you. (to what extent the simulation is done I have no idea...just another avenue worth looking into) Its still not simulating the actual G-code, but its infinitely better than nothing. Plus the guy from Postability is somewhat in your neighborhood. Just a thought......

I recently helped a customer with some testing of the MP Postability 5x post/simulation for an Okuma MU. When you run the simulation it posts the program first. You can go into the post and change things like retracts and see the change in the simulation. If one were not going to spend the money on Vericut I would feel pretty confident with the results from the postability simulation. 

• Like 1

They're looking at a different machine now. A Mitsubishi (MC Machinery) LU-800. It's a gantry type machine with a trunnion. Heidenhain control. 32" table. 2200# workpiece capacity. We have an excellent working relationship with MC Machinery and their service and support has always been top notch.

Management is fully aware that training is of paramount importance. Machine training. Multi-axis training. And Muli-axis custom training using our parts (molds). They're all onboard with that.

However, management is split on the need for Vericut. I'm not. It's not a necessity per se, however it is HIGHLY recommended by you folks already doing it.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

They're looking at a different machine now. A Mitsubishi (MC Machinery) LU-800. It's a gantry type machine with a trunnion. Heidenhain control. 32" table. 2200# workpiece capacity. We have an excellent working relationship with MC Machinery and their service and support has always been top notch.

Management is fully aware that training is of paramount importance. Machine training. Multi-axis training. And Muli-axis custom training using our parts (molds). They're all onboard with that.

However, management is split on the need for Vericut. I'm not. It's not a necessity per se, however it is HIGHLY recommended by you folks already doing it.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

We have no 5ax here. We don't and never have used 5ax.

BUT reading the forum, all I'd say is one crash costs waaaay more than one seat of Vericut...

The postability option sounds very neat.

About two years ago, we took our first dive into 5 axis machining. We purchased an Okuma MU500V-II 5 axis. I went to the Thinc facility, and dialled in the post, and dialled in the Vericut machine and control files. I had built the Vericut machine and control files before ever having access to a machine.

It worked out really well, and Vericut has proven to be rock solid. To the point, that regardless of the software we use to programme the machine (TopSolid mainly, sometimes Mastercam), the posted code is put through Vericut. I like having a standalone g-code simulation software.

To date (that is two years later), it hasn't proven us wrong. I routinely programme parts with the toolholder coming within .5mm of the part, based on Vericuts calculation of minimum tool length.

CGTech/Vericut technical support is amongst the best I have ever experienced too.

• Like 4