Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath Sheets

sls450

Hi.  I am looking for toolpath sheets ideas.  We use to program by hand and would lay the toolpaths out in cad point by point.  These sheets were part of the packet the operators got.  They are complaing the mastercam setup sheets aren't enough.  Is there any addons to dimension the toolpaths or a seperate program that I can run the code through to do this.  I'm considering puting the free backplotter I use to use on their computer. 

sls450 sorry, but you want what? Please help me understand this correctly. You back plotted all of the toolpaths and saved them to a tool list so the operators could review every tool and every cut that was being made in the program? I have a part right now that has ad several millions lines of code. I would need to cut down a few Forrest to do that if I understand you correctly. Hopefully I have just misunderstood what you are asking for.

The active reports will show toolpath motion related to a tool and you can get a couple hundred pages from them if that is the desired output. Personally I think it a waste of valuable time having an operator looking over the back plotted toolpaths if I am understanding you correctly. 

If they program by hand, chances are they aren't doing parts as complex as what you and I see.

There is no easy way to dimension the toolpaths inside Mastercam. One way you can do it is to backplot your toolpath inside Mastercam, then save that toolpath as geometry. Then you would have to plot out each dimension using the dimension tools.

Or you could, you know, use the Mastercam program to write the program like it's supposed to do... :guitar:

By hand I've done 1000 lines max, must being in the 200-300 range.  I could normally layout the toolpaths in 5 to 10 sheets.  The operators needed the sheets the work the bugs out of the program to first time around.  The free backplotter was good for being free but didn't help catch everything.  I was good for a transposed digit or two.  The time to generate these sheets and then write the code made it easy to justify mastercam.  I personally don't think they need the sheets with the mastercam programs, but if I could figure out how to whip them up something like they are use to in a few minutes it would make them happy.  

I may not be completely understanding this question but ill try to help anyways. Perhaps you can go into backplot, and while backplotting hit the save toolpath motion button which will save all the motion of the toolpath to a specified level where you can then apply dimensions and / or then use the analyze contour function under analyze to have it spit out all endpoint and arc center locations.

if I am understanding the question correctly this would be fast and easy. 

I use x+ free tool sheet and give tool name, holder name, tool length(stickout), coolant, rpm, xy feed, Z feed, corner rad, max z, min z and cyc time.

Why do they want to see the entire path points? Hope you don't do any surfacing.

If you program well and use clearance on every path with good comments they should have plenty of info.

You haven't pissed them off just so they want to make life hard have you? I have several guys who are golden with what I give then I have a couple that I even sit down with at my computer and walk them thru the program and they still complain. I think most of it depends on how good your machinists are.

There is a big difference between a machinist and an "operator" and every one knows what I mean.

I also post t#, tname, holder, stick out at the beginning of every program so that they have the minimum required to run pending they can set it up.

• Like 2

All they Need are the X + set up sheets with tool info. I use the pic with all the tool paths on so you can see profiles before you print the x+ set up sheet that way you can see the part outline. Just leave the stock on or solid and then run the tool pats thru and you get a nice pic with the set up sheets.

X+ is a great free app and it works very well for the price .

Thanks To Gunther.

If they program by hand, chances are they aren't doing parts as complex as what you and I see.

There is no easy way to dimension the toolpaths inside Mastercam. One way you can do it is to backplot your toolpath inside Mastercam, then save that toolpath as geometry. Then you would have to plot out each dimension using the dimension tools.

Or you could, you know, use the Mastercam program to write the program like it's supposed to do... :guitar:

LOL. It sounds like someone who might push their car to work everyday.