Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hosting posts on network

dan.w

Hi All,

I'm trying to host a post file on a network server and I've run into a new problem.

I'm unable to save a file with a .pst extension since the server identifies this as "is in the "E-mail Files" file group, which is not permitted on the server".  

There is no chance I'm going to get the server settings modified.  I started looking around and I see there is an additional choice ".mcpost".  The server doesn't mind this so I get everything linked up (shout out to Colin - I think i almost understand this process now) ,  pat myself on the back - hit post ....

"STARTBIN was found but the binary post file is missing......."

The psb name already matches the post name?  I'm guessing the binning process only works with the .pst extension.  

What exactly is a .mcpost?  I was hoping the extension was for this issue.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi All,

I'm trying to host a post file on a network server and I've run into a new problem.

I'm unable to save a file with a .pst extension since the server identifies this as "is in the "E-mail Files" file group, which is not permitted on the server".  

There is no chance I'm going to get the server settings modified.  I started looking around and I see there is an additional choice ".mcpost".  The server doesn't mind this so I get everything linked up (shout out to Colin - I think i almost understand this process now) ,  pat myself on the back - hit post ....

The psb name already matches the post name?  I'm guessing the binning process only works with the .pst extension.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Your .mcpost and .psb must have the same name. It could be that the .psb is looking for a .pst extension. It may have to be binned with the new extension you are using.

Your .mcpost and .psb must have the same name. It could be that the .psb is looking for a .pst extension. It may have to be binned with the new extension you are using.

They currently have the exact same name.  I'm hoping that the binning process is the answer.  The current post was binned by the vendor so  I'll try and bin my own and see if it works.  

Just don't use the server since it seems to be improperly configured. Create a new "shared mcamx9" folder on your computer and then share it. Have everyone else map that share.

I'm sure our IT staff could offer a bunch of reasons on why they have it that way and one size fits all in their minds  -  I've given up arguing.

Where does the mcpost extension come from?   

Hi All,

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

The default file extension for a Post file is: PST. The alternate file name type is still ".mcpost".

When a PST file is encrypted, there are two files that must have the same name: a PST portion, and a PSB portion. The PSB file is the "binned" or encrypted portion of the post processor.

When a normal "PST" file is encrypted, most post writers start with a ".PSM" file. This is the "Master" file, which gets split into the encrypted and unencrypted portions.

When performing a "binning" process on the new file extension, you should name the file ".mcdpost". This stands for "development" post. This will split the file into a ".mcpost" and a ".mcbpost" file extensions.

All you need to do is take your original post file, and name the extension ".mcpost". Then take the ".PSB" file, and rename the file extension to ".mcbpost". Make sure the files share identical "file names", and only the extensions are different.

That is the reason you are getting errors: you have a 5X post that is missing the "binned" portion...

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

The default file extension for a Post file is: PST. The alternate file name type is still ".mcpost".

When a PST file is encrypted, there are two files that must have the same name: a PST portion, and a PSB portion. The PSB file is the "binned" or encrypted portion of the post processor.

When a normal "PST" file is encrypted, most post writers start with a ".PSM" file. This is the "Master" file, which gets split into the encrypted and unencrypted portions.

When performing a "binning" process on the new file extension, you should name the file ".mcdpost". This stands for "development" post. This will split the file into a ".mcpost" and a ".mcbpost" file extensions.

All you need to do is take your original post file, and name the extension ".mcpost". Then take the ".PSB" file, and rename the file extension to ".mcbpost". Make sure the files share identical "file names", and only the extensions are different.

That is the reason you are getting errors: you have a 5X post that is missing the "binned" portion...

There you go again with that secret decoder ring.  :turned: :turned: :geek: :geek:

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

Thanks Colin. I learned something new today.

Anyone looking to expand their post knowledge should look into Colin's post classes on Eapprentice. I haven't even finished the mill class and it has already helped me significantly. I plan on taking the lathe and 5-axis classes next.

• Like 1

the key to this,

whether you're using

*.pst and *.psb

or

*.mcpost and *.mcbpost

is that both files have EXACTLY the same filename on the left side of the "."

Even an extra space will cause trouble.

The 2 files must also reside in the same folder

Back in V9 days having a different PST  and PSB filename would lock up your machine

so bad even the three finger salute wouldn't clear it ... 

you'd have to cold boot by pulling the power cord to get the machine out of an endless loop

looking for the missing psb file :laughing:

Its funny now, but it was a hard lesson back in the day

• Like 1

Dan, sorry that is not what he said.

.pst = .mcpost

.psb = .mcbpost

HTH(hope that helps)

Then I reread it and see it different sorry I posted it than what I was thinking. I see what you were meaning by the way you put it up and I just saw it differently than what you meant Dan. Again great information and glad you got it working.

How about this:

In the directory containing your encrypted post file you need to have:

file_name.psb  and file_name.pst

or

file_name.mcpost  and file_name.mcbpost

No worries Ron - this isn't the first time I've written something confusing.  

Just like program comments - I usually have to rewrite them a couple of times to make everyone  happy.  :)

Hopefully the next person working under the thumb of their authoritarian IT dept can make sense of this thread.

Thanks again to everyone for the help,

Dan