Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horz Programming... Center Line or Individual Work offsets

tim_h

Back to the original question. I normally program a HMC from COR. It is not the only machine I program so I have in my mind developed a common process for programming. Is it the right way to others no, but does it work and make a good part YES. I tell everyone my way is not the only right way to make something. At the end of the day if the part is made correctly and meets the requirements of the print and you have made money making it then good job. I jump from Mills and Lathes VMC, HMC, 3 Axis to 9 Axis and I can program any machine anyway someone wants it done. Funny people people say part Zero, but could have a macro in the machine that references back to COR they use or use COR but have a offset for each part. In my mind that is still COR programming. When you stick a vice on a HMC and have no clue where it is and make parts then that is not COR. Mapping and understanding where everything is from the COR is COR programming to me no matter how you want to slice it or dice it. Having it in space with no clue where it is is not COR programming. I think that is where a lot of the confusion comes into play. Perspective is everything and none of us work side by side day in and day out. We have no clue where any of us have worked and the different types of work we have done. The people I have worked with have taught me things and I hope I have taught them things. Process is part of what we do as programmers, setup people, operators and etc... Not sure why it has to always turn into a bash Mastercam session with some but it does. I am here to help Mastercam users get their job done plain and simple. I have my complaints and I air them the correct way not at people trying to help others solve their problems. I didn't make the software and to go around saying it is not good at it only adding to the problem not helping.

You want me to go around shooting myself in the foot like some of you do sorry I got more sense than that. Hello my name is Ron Branch. Yes the Crazy^Millman off the forum. Do you use only use Mastercam? YES Oh that software you think sucks? Again not sure why it always turn into bash Mastercam on a Mastercam board, but it does. I have a family to feed and people who work with 5th Axis Consulting I consider family. I do my best to look out for my family and them as well. We have worked hard to build a solid reputation in the Manufacturing industry. Are we perfect no, but do we do our very best YES.

Learn and try things and push your abilities is something we all should strive to do. I don't have any paper hanging on the wall. I only have close to 30 years on the floor with hands on experience to draw from. As an employee I worked for over 40 different companies. As a Contractor I have done work for well over a 100 different customers. Every experience has taught me something and I have tried to learn from those experiences. Sometimes I still do the same stupid things part of being human.

I only want what is best for Manufacturing. Mastercam has helped me to go and do things I would have never thought possible. I still remember the day Jim Gamble the Mastercam dealer in Florida walked in the shop I was running. I was pulling my hair out having spent a 120 hours with Autocad, Pencil and Paper to realize I messed up. He came in took one look around and said I am not giving you a demo I am going to program your part for you. 4 Hours later I had a program and was making the part. I have not looked back sense. Mastercam is a good solid product and I have no problem saying it is. Call me what ever you want, but again until you have walked day in my shoes and see what I have done with Mastercam then you can say it is not good. That is not everyone's story and others have different experiences than me. I can say it helped someone who came from pretty much nothing accomplish what I have.

• Like 3

I have used 2 other softwares professionally. I was a bit angry over my company changing to mcam. After letting go of that and deciding to make the best of it I truly feel that I can program anything with mcam. I am currently programming a 6 machine with a knuckle head. I also feel I have more power over the post. In less than a year of using mcam I have learned the software, learned the posts well enough to take the generics and tailor then to 4 different machines. One of which has Anilam 3000m on it. I never second guess my post. I can get any path I want even if it takes some poking. I still prefer some things from Esprit in the 5 axis world but I can efficiently get what I want out of mcam. I believe given a reasonable amount of time I could program anything.

If you or your company has spent money and invested in mcam, choose to make the best of it. If it has limitations, that will make you better as you overcome them and succeed.

Like Ron, I'd like to help others as I've received a great deal of help here on emc.

Focus on going forward, not looking back.

BTW, my two cents on horizontal programming is case by case. I have programmed many many horizontal machines using many methods. You have to evaluate every situation uniquely, after all this is your job as a programmer. If you do not, you have failed. In my opinion there is never a right way, every way that gets a part to print is right. However, the most efficient is the best and as a programmer finding that way is the core of your job.

I program both ways.  If I am setting up a project to run on all four sides of a tombstone I will program COR and use the same tool on all sides to minimize tool changes and break check routines.  Running this way typically shortens cycle times by 10-15%.  If I am running one side at a time I will run either way.  The program sets the work offset vie G10 commands and if I need better accuracy (2nd operation, etc...) I will have the probe come in and reset the offset.  With indexing parts that need to be super accurate (molds, etc...) I will have the probe find the B-axis location AND set the offset.  We run DFO (G54.2) so two offsets are set.  One tells the machine where the B-axis is and the other tells the machine what the delta is for the part offset location from the B-axis.  Anyways, this is all fully automatic so we don't need to rely on a rocket scientist operator to figure things out.  It is all programmed into the part and posted with the program from Mastercam.  My machines are newer Makinos with DD 4th axis motors which makes it pretty easy.  The 4th has an encoder on it so it is super accurate and backlash will never creep in and screw things up.  This was a big reason I went with Makino over some of the others (Okuma).  I wanted the DD rotary for this very reason.  On the molds with parting surfaces that are cut with indexing we are holding better than .0005" and it couldn't have been done without extensive probing.

• Like 1

My apologies !

I missed the last thread on this topic and failed to do a search on it !

It wasn't my intention to aggravate the Beehive...

:fun:

Tim you didn't and I was doing my best to stay out of the topic since I knew what it would turn into. I am here to help/learn and whatever I or others who want to help/learn can do please post up and ask questions and someone will do their best to help. They always have and hopefully they always will. Have a great day.

• Like 1

with some exceptions I do not think there is a right or wrong answer to this question?

some good points have been made in either direction to help one decide what fits for them.

something to be said about standardization but boxing oneself into a corner (not allowing appropriate exceptions) is a bad move IMHO

Doug

• Like 1