Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t Christmas Shopping

kathy

How many of you are done with your holiday shopping?

This year I'm doing the 'guy' thing; I'm stoping at BestBuy right after work and doing the bulk of it all in one fell swoop!

Remember - two teenagers. Very hard to shop for without breaking the bank. They want a car, CD's, a car, Movies, a car, PC games, a car...

Kathy

biggrin.gif

I used to wait till the last minute to do the x-mas shopping.

Since I got married, I have been shown the error of my ways and get it done a few weeks before.

(it's more fun to torture everyone if the presents stay under the tree for a couple weeks)

My daughter especially smile.gif She begs to open up some every day biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

Murlin

[ 12-22-2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

We decided this year to only buy presents for the small children in the family. Everyone else is planning on having dinner together.

We just started thinking that it didn't make sense for the retired and young people to feel obligated to buy trinkets for others (quite honestly, most of which ended up in the dumpster or Goodwill after a year or two).

Much better to just spend time together which is all I really want this year.

I'm on a mission to make Christmas "Thanksgiving Redux" and cut out all the silly, wasteful and obligatory gift-giving.

Call me Scrooged.

quote:

We decided this year to only buy presents for the small children in the family. Everyone else is planning on having dinner together.

We just started thinking that it didn't make sense for the retired and young people to feel obligated to buy trinkets for others (quite honestly, most of which ended up in the dumpster or Goodwill after a year or two).

Much better to just spend time together which is all I really want this year.

I'm on a mission to make Christmas "Thanksgiving Redux" and cut out all the silly, wasteful and obligatory gift-giving.

Call me Scrooged.

My wife and I have pretty much decided to do this exact same thing. We both got tired of the stress , and wanted to teach our kids that Christmas is really about giving, not getting.

We both talked about the Christmases we remembered when we were kids, and it was mostly the fun we had running around with the other family kids at a relatives house, and just seeing the whole family together,that once a year. Aside from really special gifts like a bike or Atari 2600 (O'yeah!!) I couldn't even remember what I had got all those years.

Anyway,At least this year, I'm taking my familys Christmas back from Toys R Us, and Wal-Mart!!

redface.gif Merry Christmas Everyone redface.gif

John

Actually - we are heading in that direction also. That is why I waited to the last minute. Than the mom guilt started to creep up. So I did I filled out the edges a bit.

Mike does have a car – the 62 T-bird. But he is beginning to understand how impractical it will be to drive when he gets his license in Feb.

Kathy

miketbird.jpg

The good news: I finished my shopping for my wife by Halloween cool.gif . The bad news is I haven't wrapped a single thing and her stuff has sat next to my desk for close to 2 months eek.gif . A quick suggestion: my wife and I save our money for Christmas in a credit union account (Christmas Club) and we have agreed that we only spend $100.00 MAXIMUM on the 4 of us and $50.00 on each parent. Everyone else gets cards. Call me crazy but going into debt for a bunch of gifts and some will not even last till next Christmas, bah humbug! OK, now you can call me Scrooge biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Have a great holliday everyone cheers.gif

Kathy,

If they really, really, REALLY want a car, give 'em one that requires batteries or kinetic energy (push power) to move. Hot Wheels come in all different gift sets and you can even build a few tracks to race them on. biggrin.gif My nephews love those cars.

jspangler,

quote:

Aside from really special gifts like a bike or Atari 2600 (O'yeah!!)

I still have my Atari game system. Can't quite figure out how to hook it up to my entertainment center though, alongside the PS2, X-Box, JVC 3 tray DVD, JVC VCR, and JVC surround sound amp/receiver. (Gee, think there's any bias towards JVC?) There isn't even a way to plug it into the TV. Oh, wait. I just had a brain fart. smile.gif I should have the proper connector somewhere... rolleyes.gif

My wife and I did a combination of things. We bought gifts for the youngest kids, and our parents in both our families and sent cards to everyone else. We bought gifts for both of us, limited by the same dollar amount, and we're hosting Christmas dinner at our house. Everything is wrapped except for the stocking stuffers. Now it's just down to the stress of cooking the traditional Christmas Dinner of Lasagna with breadsticks and sides of meatballs and steak tips. biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas Everybody!! biggrin.gifredface.gifbiggrin.gif And a Happy New Year!! cheers.gif