Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SOLID HELP

mirek1017

well done..... and you are welcome....I hope you learned something....

I hope you see the wisdom of extending the helix's past part...

Glad to help and good luck.  BTW I used a 1.32 solid face to face fillet and it worked good for the valley radius.......

One last note to everyone:  This was my first real modeling job in X9.

I will have to say that I was very impressed with how well everything works now.

The new NX solid  kernel is really easy to use and one does not have to use the C-hook for creating helix's.

I would say this is the best version of Mastercam so far and I can't wait to see what future improvements are made in 2017.

well done..... and you are welcome....I hope you learned something....

I hope you see the wisdom of extending the helix's past part...

Glad to help and good luck.  BTW I used a 1.32 solid face to face fillet and it worked good for the valley radius.......

One last note to everyone:  This was my first real modeling job in X9.

I will have to say that I was very impressed with how well everything works now.

The new NX solid  kernel is really easy to use and one does not have to use the C-hook for creating helix's.

I would say this is the best version of Mastercam so far and I can't wait to see what future improvements are made in 2017.

Murlin ,sorry for bother you i have a problem, firs  i can make flat boundry on the bathom end and second  if I make solid  I can not make filets  rad between 2 faces .I tried to do it again from the beginning and every time I can not make close curve chain on the bottom of the part . :wallbash:

post-48800-0-28035200-1456520135_thumb.jpg

Murlin ,sorry for bother you i have a problem, firs  i can make flat boundry on the bathom end and second  if I make solid  I can not make filets  rad between 2 faces .I tried to do it again from the beginning and every time I can not make close curve chain on the bottom of the part . :wallbash:

Your geometry was different from mine.

Your last helix was longer and so the tangent numbers used were not correct for the fillet size.   And I broke all my wires into 180 degree segments for that reason...

I didn't try to put a fillet on your solid but I knew there was a 50 50 chance yours would not work but I was in a hurry...

I can get a 1.36 fillet to go most of the way down on yours,  but there is a problem somewhere.

These are the things you run into and it is normal...

Remember same same??

post-5941-0-47280900-1456533542_thumb.jpg

I tried to make everything same same for this reason on my model.

See how my wire frame was broken? the lines on the surfaces give it away.

See the small fillet segment in between each in red?

I broke up all the chains so  the fillet would not have to be calculated the entire length of the part, it could start over at each section due to inconsistencies...little trick I know...

I could also use these shorter segments to create a variable fillet of some sort in the valley by non conventional means.

Let me see If I can come up with a fix for your model.

Master80, without spending alot of time going back over your model, I cannot get a solid fillet to work on your geometry, I can get a 1.36 to go all the way down to

the last turn on the auger, but it wigs out and stops there.

So the easy fix button here is just put a surface fillet on before you turn it into a solid....

It works just fine.  I used a 1.36 also for the surface fillet but you can try a different size just start at 1.32 and keep increasing .01 until you get one to go...

This is what I would have had to do if for some reason my solid fillet did not want to work either....Sometimes, no matter what you do or how hard you try to make something one way, it just will not work the way you

want it to when working with solids...especially fillets...This is why, on complicated parts like this we go with surfaces and solidify it in the end.

Nature of the beast... as a general rule, surface fillets will ALWAYS build easier than solid fillets....in ANY software package. 

You had so much leeway here this fillet was real easy...however if we were required to actually hold the 8" dia valley like the print, and called out valley radii, it would be an entirely different, complicated issue...

There is one thing I would change though.... Each turn on this auger gets smaller to give it more power at the end and your last turn gets bigger... l would shorten it up more like the print...but that's just me I am picky. 

But since you appear to have wide open engineering leeway here, just rebuild your top and bottom surfaces so they extend above and below part so the fillet has enough room to extend past the trim lines so you get a full trim, rebuild your flat boundaries, and turn it into a solid again.

Another reason why I extended my surfaces so far above and below.....method to the madness....

This is your model.

post-5941-0-23640200-1456536982_thumb.jpg

I know , but look at the lower part ,when i trim the surface i want make flat boundry show mi the chain is not close .Well then extent

well then extend the splines and trim them and if your flat boundary function ask if you want to close chain say yes...

Post up your file with the surfaces extended past all your trim lines when you are done getting the file straitened out. 

Master 80 I am looking at the last file you sent me and you have not broken your chains on the same quadrant.

All the trim lines should line up in a row. You will get gaps in your surfaces if they are not all in a row.

Do it over until your file is clean and you have all your ducks in a row....you just cant go break everything anywhere you want.

See how my surface breaks all line up?  That is because all my splines are broken on the same line.

post-5941-0-16580200-1456762264_thumb.jpg

Master80 I have fixed your file so you can do the fillet.

After putting on a 1.36 surface fillet with the TRIM button checked, delete all unnecessary surfaces in the model after trimming to your upper and lower trim curves....

There cannot be any surfaces inside the model that don't belong and that are not trimmed correctly....

Once trimmed.....remake the flat boundaries and turn  into a solid.

augerfix.mcx-9

Murlin, if they haven't offered you a dealers license yet they should. I can't think of a better spokes person from what I just seen.

For all it's worth, mine was just pulled.

So this and $2 will get you a cup of coffee

Master80 we seem to be having a real communication problem and for that I apologize.

The reason your file will not boolean the top flange is that your solid is not clean....

You did not trim the fillet, there are numerous other non wanted surfaces.

post-5941-0-31825300-1456776602_thumb.jpg

post-5941-0-63430600-1456776613_thumb.jpg

post-5941-0-54135100-1456776630_thumb.jpg

post-5941-0-68116500-1456776639_thumb.jpg

post-5941-0-11772400-1456776649_thumb.jpg

As we all can see here the secret to success in modeling in any software package is knowing your Software....

• Like 1