Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

It FINALLY Broke

guitar

Dynamic optirough milling with a 3/4" Swiftcarb Rampmill with 3.0 extension. 

40% Rdoc

1.25" Adoc

11000 rpm

350 ipm

7 deg ram at 170ipm @ .72rad

Alum 6061

Pocket size 20" x 5" x 2.4"depth

We ran hundreds of parts with this 1 end mill over the past 7 months. Yesterday I said, "sounds like your end mill is getting dull". Operator said "no way". Today, it finally broke.

I love these Swiftcarb end mills :)

• Like 2

nice

I used to hear things from my office while programming that the operators didnt (or ?). I would come down on the floor and tell the operator. they would just shrug and a few minutes later they would be changing out a broken end mill.

after a few months of that all I would have to do is stand outside my office on the messazine and look at them and they would stop machine and check things out.

and no I never ever beat them up over it and they respected my senses.

I love this trade

• Like 2

1970 holder running 11k. would not the engineers of that day like to see that success story.

your doing good. I have seen many shops spend huge money for the latest greatest hold only to see it beat to crap in the machine.

my best estimate is some where over 12k harmonics and balance can really start destroying spindles. of course tool life etc can be extended using latest greatest balanced holder tool assembly's in any machine.

its cost to production to profit ratio's. usually we just run what they brung. lol

Dynamic optirough milling with a 3/4" Swiftcarb Rampmill with 3.0 extension. 

40% Rdoc

1.25" Adoc

11000 rpm

350 ipm

7 deg ram at 170ipm @ .72rad

Alum 6061

Pocket size 20" x 5" x 2.4"depth

We ran hundreds of parts with this 1 end mill over the past 7 months. Yesterday I said, "sounds like your end mill is getting dull". Operator said "no way". Today, it finally broke.

I love these Swiftcarb end mills :)

Cool and glad NX was able to give you that type of toolpath finally. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• Like 1

Cool and glad NX was able to give you that type of toolpath finally. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And, while we are on that subject. This form of milling process was NOT designed by Mastercam. This was an add on created by a 3rd party vendor...Nexion who initially created this to work within Surfcam. This process has been sold to may other Cam companies, including NX. So, don't go claiming some great achievement by MC for "creating" these paths.  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

And, while we are on that subject. This form of milling process was NOT designed by Mastercam. This was an add on created by a 3rd party vendor...Nexion who initially created this to work within Surfcam. This process has been sold to may other Cam companies, including NX. So, don't go claiming some great achievement by MC for "creating" these paths.  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

These toolpaths were not created by Nexion/Celeritive. They´re originally invented by Julian Todd and Martin Dunschen and enhanced by other companies, including CNC software.

It´s fair to say that although many of them look alike now, companies that are NOT licensing the technology, and CNC Software is part of this club, have added their own stuff and exclusive functionalities.

Siemens is one of the companies that don´t own this technology: They license it from Celeritive.

See there you go again making the narrative fit your mind set. I never said they designed it from scratch I simply stated NX currently does not have the same abilities with HST Toolpaths out of the box as Mastercam in it's most current release. Is that correct yes or no?

Mastercam or no other company created the computer and if I want to start creating my own narratives to fit my story then I should be talking about how they created the computer. Kind of like someone created the whole internet right by themselves. Either way HST technology is a game changer in today's manufcatruing and I use tools I never deigned or created, but I am glad to have them to use when I need them and not upset or unhappy that I have those tools to use. Whatever allows me to do the best job I can do I use that I have. I am very happy to be able to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. If I had to go back to using a shovel and rake as the tools to do it I would be glad I could and hope I would not complain if had to.