Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4.0" HSS TICN coated slitting saw

Metric

Hello Bro.

Thank you for help. The job only 12 pcs. Slot at .25" width  X .312" deep X 16.0" long and 11 slots per part.

I did want to end mill them. But boss says it will take for ever to finish the job. I found Niagrara had T15 supreme slotting saw with TIN coated. I will try with the speed & feed from Hardmill hope it will work.

Thank you all helping.

MDT

Now if you are stacking 11 blades and cutting all of the at the same time then he is correct, but if you are doing them one at a time I think he is wrong. I would get a 6mm endmill and rough them and come back with a .25 endmill with a .375 flute length and finish them. 340-400 sfm verses 60 sfm. I would be real curious to see how long that saw blade holds up. We are talking about 2112 liner inches of cut.

Using a 6mm Endmill with 4 passes at 400 sfm and .003 per tooth feed rate I show you can feed at 80imp. it will take 1 minute a slot to rough each slot. I would be conservative on the finished and maybe run it at .002 per tooth feed rate. Will take 30 seconds a slot to finish. Total time with 2 carbide endmills I would estimate 18 to 20 minutes per part.

Using the slitting saw at 4 imp it will take you 4 minutes a slot to cut each slot. it will take you 44 minutes to cut each part and I am going to say maybe 4 saws to do the job complete almost 8 hours verses 4 hours. More expensive tooling and maybe even more complex setup. This is why I was never a good employee I would go buy the endmills and get the job done. Then have the owner mad at me for making him more money than he originally thought. Yes been there done that many times. Please let us know how it turns out.

• Like 2

Ron beat me to that. No deeper than you're going I honestly would not even consider the saw. Then throw in that it's HSS vs. 304. You'll go thru a bunch of saws as opposed to maybe 2 or 3 rough endmills and 1 or 2 finishers. That sounds a little aggressive rough feed at full depth but I'm guilty of being conservative any way.

• Like 1

Good morning all,

Thank you for yours help. Let me explain what is part. It is core heat sink, with .0625" width fins and the base thickness is .0625" too. We plan to set up at 4.00" tall up the saw will slot along 16.0" long side. I did smell terrible to do this way. But Boss wants this way!!!. May be I will have plan "B" for end mill if saw cut fells.

MDT

post-1276-0-00183700-1457620453_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning every body,

Again I would like to thank all for input. Finally I have this job going. with 3.0" diameter 18 tooth slotting saw TIN coated.

SFM = 115 (S=146), .024" rev (around .0013" per teeth). I did machine 8 pieces  the saw still good..... part got bend a lot but we are able to straightening it out.

Best regards.

MTD

• Like 1