Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unique work offset for only one toolpath

jaydenn

Morning,

As the topic suggests, how do I get a G55(for example...) on just one operation that shares a workplane with another op?

I've tried duplicating the plane to give it it's own offset but for some reason, the planes remain linked. If I change the output on one, every similar plane changes.

If I add the offset to the planes page of the op, it changes globally as well.

I feel this should be really simple, and I just can't find it!

Jay

You should be able to set it in the toolpath itself. You might have to set all others to 0 (G54) instead of -1 (Match previous offset). 

One thing to note is some posts lock on to the first offset. If this is the case you will need to change your post to allow for it.

BenK,

You're right...You SHOULD be able to change it, but you can't. As soon as I change an offset from within the toolpath, the global offset changes in the plane manager thus changing every path associated with it. They are linked and I can't break that link.

I tried copying the plane(so it's unique) but that's a no-go as well. Any similar plane is treated as identical and linked; update one and they all change.

Basic, basic, basic functionality like this should be easy!

Jay

I tried copying the plane(so it's unique) but that's a no-go as well. Any similar plane is treated as identical and linked; update one and they all change.

In the copied plane, put a small value in the Z zero like .00001

It won't change any outputs, but it will make it unique.

BenK,

You're right...You SHOULD be able to change it, but you can't. As soon as I change an offset from within the toolpath, the global offset changes in the plane manager thus changing every path associated with it. They are linked and I can't break that link.

Basic, basic, basic functionality like this should be easy!

Jay

Changing the setting in the toolpath shouldn't be updating the global setting, you might want to contact [email protected] to get that sorted out. Without seeing the file that is all I can suggest.

Copied planes are not linked. I use copied planes all the time.

This is basic functionality and it is easy, sounds like you are seeing some issues where it isn't working correctly. 

• Like 1

Changing the setting in the toolpath shouldn't be updating the global setting, you might want to contact [email protected] to get that sorted out. Without seeing the file that is all I can suggest.

Copied planes are not linked. I use copied planes all the time.

This is basic functionality and it is easy, sounds like you are seeing some issues where it isn't working correctly. 

I have to agree I may have over a 100 planes in some files and don't see this. I always get a question do I want to have the operation act independent of the others or do I want it to update them all. Are you maybe getting in a hurry and not paying attention to the question?

What Version are you currently running? Do you have a sample file you can share? I would suggest doing a gotomeeting with QC and they can help you sort out this very odd behavior you are having.

In every tool path in your file, you must enable the "Work Offset" button. And the value must be set to '0'.

All of your paths should have the same WCS, and the same T/C Planes.

Then, in the one "unique" path, you need to make a "copy" of the T/C Plane. Set the Work  Offset value to '1'. Change that Operation to use the same WCS, but the new "T/C Plane" only.

In the Work Offset field, you need to have '1' set.

The Work Offset in Mastercam controls the output of the G54/G55/G56 ect.

The T/C Plane controls the "rotation". You can have identical planes, with different Work Offset numbers. That's all you need to do.

Colin,

This is exactly what I'm doing, and it's not functioning.

My WCS is "Top" for every operation. No offset listed.

I have 8 T/C planes, each with an different offset listed 0-7

Every single operation has the checkmark, and shows the correct number.

Up to here, everything works perfect...

When I copy the T/C plane, and define the new offset, the plane that I copied from changes too. Everytime.

If I rotate the new plane 1 degree, everything works. If it "shares" the rotation with another plane, both become linked.

I know how it's supposed to work, it's just not.

I think I have found my mastercam bug of the day!

Jay

Duplicate planes CAN be offset# linked, it depends on how you create them.  IIRC if you use "Copy" they will be linked, if you use "Create From" they will not.  I've had this happen and it's frustrating.

Yes, I agree, me too.

The solution is to put .00001 in either the X Y or Z origin for the copied plane.

10 millionths won't affect the code output, but it solves the linking problem because it becomes unique from the plane it was copied from.

Colin,

This is exactly what I'm doing, and it's not functioning.

My WCS is "Top" for every operation. No offset listed.

I have 8 T/C planes, each with an different offset listed 0-7

Every single operation has the checkmark, and shows the correct number.

Up to here, everything works perfect...

When I copy the T/C plane, and define the new offset, the plane that I copied from changes too. Everytime.

If I rotate the new plane 1 degree, everything works. If it "shares" the rotation with another plane, both become linked.

I know how it's supposed to work, it's just not.

I think I have found my mastercam bug of the day!

Jay

I've had this problem several times as well. Moving it 10 millionths gets you passed this bug.

Morning Everyone,

I just got to work and confirmed the "Create From" option. It works.

So, in summary;

if you "COPY" a plane, it is linked to the original(unless you alter its angle or position).

if you "CREATE FROM", it is not linked in any way.

I couldn't find this behavior mentioned anywhere in the help file. Hard to say if it's a longstanding bug or "working as designed".

Thanks again,

Jay

• Like 1

Morning Everyone,

I just got to work and confirmed the "Create From" option. It works.

So, in summary;

if you "COPY" a plane, it is linked to the original(unless you alter its angle or position).

if you "CREATE FROM", it is not linked in any way.

I couldn't find this behavior mentioned anywhere in the help file. Hard to say if it's a longstanding bug or "working as designed".

Thanks again,

Jay

Hi Jay,

I'll submit this to the Tech Docs department. It will take a release or two, but I'll see if I can get them to update the Help file to document this behavior.

For what it's worth, the "Planes" function has gone through a significant overhaul over the past couple releases, and much of the underlying code has been written "from scratch", to fix a ton of issues with the Planes functionality. So it's hard to say if this was "designed" that way, or if there was a behavior that was present in prior versions, that got "wiped out" when the Planes code was updated...

• Like 1

Another option: instead of "Create From", use the "Relative" button. This allows you to create "relative" planes, including "Top"; which is a "duplicate" of the original plane, but it is not "linked".

This option is nice because all you have to do is "rename" the new "Top" plane, and you don't have to mess with the "Create From" dialog.

I'd just add "G55" to the name, (take off the " - Top" at the end of the Plane name)...

• Like 1