Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix Bore~ Finish only?

jeff

i have had to do something similar for a underside C-Bore. Last time i needed this i just created the helix bore downward, then when you are using Classic Backplot there is a button in that window called "save toolpath Geometry to a level". I hit that, saved the toolpath motion to another level, then applied just a simple contour back up that helical toolmotion and ran it with a 3d contour.

Some of the problems with doing this, you dont get to use comp (since the contour path needs OFF comp) and the other crappy part about doing this is once you save the geometry, any change to the helix pitch will require starting from scratch.

But ultimatley if your ok with losing your comp and already know your pitch that you want to do its pretty simple.

hope that makes sense, but if it doesn't just picture chaining an upward helix and running a 3d contour, the reason for the saving of the geometry is to build you the helix accurately.

Just a though

• Like 2

i have had to do something similar for a underside C-Bore. Last time i needed this i just created the helix bore downward, then when you are using Classic Backplot there is a button in that window called "save toolpath Geometry to a level". I hit that, saved the toolpath motion to another level, then applied just a simple contour back up that helical toolmotion and ran it with a 3d contour.

Some of the problems with doing this, you dont get to use comp (since the contour path needs OFF comp) and the other crappy part about doing this is once you save the geometry, any change to the helix pitch will require starting from scratch.

But ultimatley if your ok with losing your comp and already know your pitch that you want to do its pretty simple.

hope that makes sense, but if it doesn't just picture chaining an upward helix and running a 3d contour, the reason for the saving of the geometry is to build you the helix accurately.

Just a though

I have done this.

I use cc on 3d contour frequently, why can't you use it?

I have done this.

I use cc on 3d contour frequently, why can't you use it?

well you can use comp for 3d contours, but not if you have comp set to off. that's what I meant, if you save toolpath geo from mastercams backplot, this geo is tool center geo so that's why I mentioned off comp. Hope that makes sense, sorry for the confusion.

well you can use comp for 3d contours, but not if you have comp set to off. that's what I meant, if you save toolpath geo from mastercams backplot, this geo is tool center geo so that's why I mentioned off comp. Hope that makes sense, sorry for the confusion.

if you use control in your dummy path it will be where you want then you can use cc on the money path.

I TOTALLY JUST FIGURED THIS OUT BY ACCIDENT JUST NOW!!!

Just set your "Top of Stock" to the bottom of the hole, and your "Depth" to the top of the hole.

Boom. B)

I thought you were joking, but you're right!

:cheers:

edit: Although the first pass is a helix, so if the bottom needs to be flat it won't work, but for thru holes that will work!

• Like 1

I still don't understand why you would want to do this though... won't you get a tapered hole?

Only if you do it in 1 pass, but if you take a finish pass or air cut it usually comes out ok.

I ramp a lot of holes, but anything that has a close tolerance I will ream or jig grind..

• Like 1