Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

export level names

Tim Pruett

I'm exporting x_t files to guys using solidworks and cimatron and neither one of them are getting the info for the level names. Is there any way possible to fix this. This is a HUGE issue for me. I just recently started designing molds using mastercam x9 and I have to export the files to them. The solidworks guy makes the drawings and the cimatron guys machine all of the components for the mold. My boss isn't gonna be very happy if they don't get the level names. Please help.

Thanks, Tim

I'm exporting x_t files to guys using solidworks and cimatron and neither one of them are getting the info for the level names. Is there any way possible to fix this. This is a HUGE issue for me. I just recently started designing molds using mastercam x9 and I have to export the files to them. The solidworks guy makes the drawings and the cimatron guys machine all of the components for the mold. My boss isn't gonna be very happy if they don't get the level names. Please help.

Thanks, Tim

Not to take you off your initial question but just out of curiosity why don't you just use Mastercam for everything. to me it sounds like you model your part in Mastercam, then send it to Solidworks then ultimately send it to cimatron. Mastercam is more than capable to handle all of your CAD and CAM needs and to me it sounds like you are causing additional work and headaches when you can simply just use Mastercam for all of it.

we have a guy here at the shop that designs in solidworks, he makes all our drawings. When I get done designing it goes to him to make the drawings. He expects to see the name of the solids come in correctly but they don't. The guys in the cnc department use cimitron to make the molds. They expect to have the level names come in like they do from the solidworks guy. Mastercam is the only one that neither imports any info or exports any info. The step file exports the info but it's junk and they can't open it. I reopened it in mastercam and several of the solids were turned into open sheets and really screwed up bad. My reseller is looking at this issue as we speak. Hopefully he can give me some advice as well. I will try exporting the levels as an asci and see what happens. Thanks

"...When I get done designing it goes to him to make the drawings. He expects to see the name of the solids come in correctly but they don't...."

So it's the names of the solids he's after, not the levels. Thanks for clarifying.

Feel free to either send me, or have your reseller send me, an example of the STEP file problem you're describing. It'd be best to send the original MC file (or a roughly equivalent one if you're leery about sending parts that you're working on).

we have a guy here at the shop that designs in solidworks, he makes all our drawings. When I get done designing it goes to him to make the drawings. He expects to see the name of the solids come in correctly but they don't. The guys in the cnc department use cimitron to make the molds. They expect to have the level names come in like they do from the solidworks guy. Mastercam is the only one that neither imports any info or exports any info. The step file exports the info but it's junk and they can't open it. I reopened it in mastercam and several of the solids were turned into open sheets and really screwed up bad. My reseller is looking at this issue as we speak. Hopefully he can give me some advice as well. I will try exporting the levels as an asci and see what happens. Thanks

Thats wierd about the Step files, Step is the most reliable translator Ive worked with.  Even better than Parasolids IMO

• Like 1

Ok my reseller told me to try regenerating the display list, combine views, and ram saver then save as a step. I tried all of the above and it didn't help. Cimitron still locks up trying to open the file.

I opened the parasolid file in solidworks and then saved it as a step and cimitron still wouldn't open it.

Ok my reseller told me to try regenerating the display list, combine views, and ram saver then save as a step. I tried all of the above and it didn't help. Cimitron still locks up trying to open the file.

I opened the parasolid file in solidworks and then saved it as a step and cimitron still wouldn't open it.

Sounds like the problem is with Cimitron. What other file formats do they support?