Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"Repaired NCI"? Why?

jaydenn

Morning,

What are some possible causes of the "Repaired NCI" I keep seeing in my files.

Literally, every time I open a file, I get at least one. There's never anything wrong with them, just locked and the name is changed.

It happened today on a "Manual Entry". What could possibly go wrong with a manual entry tool path?

Is this normal, Mastercam behavior?

J

What version?

They still happen but the frequency has been much, much less in X8 & X9

Typically these cause no issues with toolpaths and the note can be removed and the path regenerated.

Why?? it's something internal that goes a little haywire...

I'll bet you're using tools updated from a previous release.

Review you tool definition in operations that get the repair NCI issue

Pay particular attention to the "non cutting geometry" fields and the three buttons

defining the shank shape.

Inconsistencies with these setting can cause this.

For example, you may have a straight shanked tool that runs OK and back plots OK

yet the tapered shank button is enabled

Its not enough to blow the tool up, but causes trouble when opening the file.

If you find a tool that gives this error frequently, blow it out and rebuild it from scratch

Gcode,

No updated anything. Everything is pure, clean X9 mastercam.

Like I said, I get these on "manual entry" paths...There's no tool associated with them!

And if it were a bug with a tool def, shouldn't the NCI fail predictably?

I'm just not used to a CAM software being so unpredictable. I don't like it. I don't feel like I can ever trust the software.

If it's user error, that's fine; but this is totally random.

J

• Like 1

It not user error, its a bug they've been chasing for 3, maybe 4  releases

During the MC2017 Tech preview beta effort I turned in a problem I was having with a tool definition

I was told the report gave them the clues needed to kill this bug..

I have not seen in in MC2017 lately, so maybe it's finally dead

I have gotten this ones often, but now that I think about it, I don't recall having gotten it in mcfsw yet. But from X6-X8 it was a common issue, I always thought it had more to do with copied or imported operations. Like Gcode, I've never had it actually ruin anything, just an annoying message and locked op.

I've never had this issue until X9 but I get it daily now.  Doesn't seem to affect anything, more so just a huge annoyance. Drives me nuts opening up proven files and seeing that. 

Need to get a hold of your reseller and have them work with CNC to figure out what is going on. This is not normal and something odd is going on in your case.

• Like 1

Gcode,

No updated anything. Everything is pure, clean X9 mastercam.

Like I said, I get these on "manual entry" paths...There's no tool associated with them!

And if it were a bug with a tool def, shouldn't the NCI fail predictably?

I'm just not used to a CAM software being so unpredictable. I don't like it. I don't feel like I can ever trust the software.

If it's user error, that's fine; but this is totally random.

J

Ha! Try hsm if you want unpredictable!!!

I can't remember ever seeing it (repaired nci) in X9, but I don't use X9 much, still using X8 mostly. I don't see it in X8 either, so I would conclude it is something in your pc/network/config, etc that is causing it.