Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What do you use for vibration damping?

So not a Guru

I guess I was under the impression that a waterfall would allow you to take 2 cuts per Z level (like semi finishing and finishing) before moving to the next Z level.  I have been looking for this for the longest time but even under HST Waterline I cannot find that option.

I guess I was under the impression that a waterfall would allow you to take 2 cuts per Z level (like semi finishing and finishing) before moving to the next Z level.  I have been looking for this for the longest time but even under HST Waterline I cannot find that option.

Well on Ti parts and most Aluminum parts you will rough to a semi finish size. Leaving anywhere from .02 to .5 depending on the part. You will semi finish using one operation and then finish using another operation. One operation that will rough and then finish is possible with some of the HST toolpaths, but you will be using the step up method for each depth of cut rough and not the step down which is where I go back to traditional finishing methods to finish down which can be HST toolpaths or Surface finishing tool paths.

You can do it with regular 2D-Contour (2D or 3D cut pattern), using geometry, by setting your maximum depth cuts to your desired Z step, selecting "By depth" and setting your rough & finish Multi Passes, with "All depths" selected. That is actually what I am doing on this particular job.

If the geometry is 3D, you'll need to set your linking parameters to "Incremental"

if I'm following correctly, you have a part with pockets on one side, and on the back/bottom side of those you have a 3d/curved surface?

Not taking into consideration part size, and your exact geometry/fixturing method here is what I have found useful in Ti and Aluminum structural aerospace parts. Wall thicknesses ranging from .04" to .125".

I typically adapt the waterline method to the surfacing of poorly supported 3d features. I rough the 3D contour side (pocketed side is finished), then do a coarse semi finish to .05 ~.08 with a ball to get rid of the roughing steps.

For 3D finishing, I then hit the surface with a morph style pocket starting from center (I don't use Mastercam, so whatever your equivalent toolpath is). The idea here is that by starting from center, with .05 ~ .08 left, and working towards the outer edge of the part, the thicker floor stiffens the part. For the parts I deal with, as I near the outer edge/end of the toolpath I have thicker ribs underneath so I don't run out of material.

Obviously, success or failure here is dictated by your parts geometry. With regards to the Titanium specifically, you will lose some cycle time as your ball endmill now is using a larger effective cutting diameter. Typically when I have as little as .02" for 3d finishing, I can cheat quite a bit and kick the SFM up pretty high (for Ti). With the added finishing amount, I have to slow back down a bit or else I start burning up the tip of the ball endmills.

I used to fill my parts with wax or clay, but this became far to time consuming, and honestly, a pain in the xxxx. While i can't cut the surface as fast, it now runs unattended.

It can be quite a finicky approach but it hasn't failed me yet on the geometries I work with. You might need to drop the tool size to reduce the cutting pressure, which further increases cycle time.