Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A little late

TERRYH

In X9 right click in the top bar area, click on customize

Hit the context menu tab

That import button in the center..you can import your mtb file from there

I have X8 on my system also but we never used it, and only had it open one time to look around, so I figured if I followed your process from 6 to 8 and then 8 to 9 it might work. When I did it in 8 the only thing I noticed it changed was my right click on my mouse the drop down window changed to how I have 6 set up but nothing changed on my tool bars. 

Terry, I reccomend Mastercam 2017. It is still in the beta stages but will be released somewhat soon but I would hate to see you get X9 all setup and the way you like it when there Mastercam 2017 is anticipated to be released so soon. 2017 is awesome to say the least and you will have to get used to some newer icons with 2017 but i have a feeling this interface will be here for a while so I think in the long run it would be worth learning 2017 rather than x9 since thats the interface and direction Mastercam is going.

If you want to try that give your reseller a call and they can set you up with the latest beta and then once the full version comes out its easy to remove the beta and install the full.

• Like 1

MC2017 is targeted to be released in late June

Anyone with current maintenance can down load the current beta and run it

Personally, I'd wait till next week as the first Production Candidate is due out any day.

It makes no sense to install Beta5 only to uninstall next week when the PC is released.

I agree with Josh's assessment. If you are new to Mastercam, start with MC2017

MC2017 has changed to a new interface that is completely different than X9

If you don't know X9, there is no point in learning it as the MC2017 interface will be

what we have going forward.

Personally, I'd wait till next week as the first Production Candidate is due out any day.

Personally, I'm waiting until at least the first update is released. I will use this forum as a gage to determine if I wait for the second update. A couple things a little over a half century of life has taught me. 1) Never buy a new model of a car the first year it is available. 2) Never use the first major version release of cad and cad/cam software. I create enough headaches myself, don't need any outside influences helping me along. :lol:

• Like 3

Yeah, not for money parts. Usually.

However, after X9 and 2017 Beta I am doing all of my 3 axis and lathe work in 2017 Beta 5. I have zero issues with workflow or output. The only issue I have is that Beta 5 is slower than the last one and I can't point at any reason why.

Aside from the new interface people which have to get used to, I think MC2017

will be the best new release to date.

It's rock solid and very few bugs.

I've turned in several involving the import of V9 solids, but I'm told these

are working properly in the upcoming PC release.

Josh Fastech is our re seller and I believe I have spoke to you thru email and on the phone a couple times in the past.

But the thing is we are still currently using X6, 3 versions behind X9 and we are using it like our other guy who went to school for X2, I believe, and we are all self taught and have learned thru OJT as our company refuses to send any of us to school or have them come here. So for now the reason we are making the jump to 9 is that we found out MC only has to support 2 versions back and since we are 3 they technically don't have to support it even though we pay the maint. fees. It's just a mess here the way they do stuff, and we are used to the format of X6/X9 where as I believe we would be totally lost going to 2017 when released end of June is what we were told as a target date. However we are not new to MC but even with gong to 9 we will at least be familiar with the format, and there will be so many new functions we still will not know how to use or utilize correctly. I totally understand and agree with what you guys are saying and wish they did it that way here. Hell it took forever of me bitching and pushing to get them to jump from 4 to 6.

Ok I understand Terry, and yea I recognized your name and location so I thought I had spoken to you in the past for tech support issues or something. Its too bad they don't send your team to occasional training. 

Hopefully ill see you at our upcoming rollout for Mastercam 2017 that you should get an invited to. It'll be a free event and if you can spare the time it should be very informative and give your team a good understanding of working with 2017.

Terryh, are you using, or have you used other cad and/or cam packages? I am not on maint so I am stuck with X9 (not that I find it bad), but I have watched a couple vids on 2017. The interface looks very similar to Inventor if that means anything to you. 

If all else fails, you should be able to open up X7 and X9 and you could just visually try and make them match if that helps you in any way....

Yes I have used NX8.5 a little for CAD and had a collage course for AutoCad but other than that I have only used MC for programming and those 2 CAD systems. And Josh if I do get the invite I might come depending on when it is as long as it does not interfere with work as I don't believe they will give s time off for it or pay us to go.

... as as long as it does not interfere with work as I don't believe they will give s time off for it or pay us to go.

This always seems like such a financially horrible idea to me..  Who decides that they don't want their employees operating more efficiently? 

Training is one of those things that makes an employer such a better place to work, too.

• Like 4

(This always seems like such a financially horrible idea to me.. Who decides that they don't want their employees operating more efficiently?

Training is one of those things that makes an employer such a better place to work, too.)

That's because the owners 2nd house, sport cars, boats are more important then putting money in the shop.

• Like 2

Also it's a family ran business, and there now are grand kids working here and spouses of the grand kids so have to keep them in the life styles they are entitled to.

as a rule working for a family owned business sucks... unless it's your family

• Like 2