Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Funny we were doing this by hand on boring mills with the rotatory dial types back in the late 80's and early 90's, but it was being used back as early as WWII by places doing different things for the Military.

I think you are talking about a boring mill. Those have been around since the early 1900's. This is different in that the X&Y axis interpolate while syncing with the spindle C axis.

Funny been in front of all 3 of those machines and watched the GROB do it recently on some parts for a customer. I still think a true turning process is superior to this approach in the long run. Time will tell if the machine can hold the .002 profile day in and day out for the next 5 years.

Good point. I think if you're doing production, lathe to mill is gonna get the job done faster and better. But if it's a low volume item... no reason not to do it.

JM2CFWIW

Good point. I think if you're doing production, lathe to mill is gonna get the job done faster and better. But if it's a low volume item... no reason not to do it.

JM2CFWIW

We know the people who see things like this and then want to do it day in and day out for the next 5 or 10 years and sorry on the best machine this is added wear and tear that is really not needed IMHO. Once a day maybe or once a week or in a pinch okay, but that is a lot of mass moving quickly that if you had a true spinning axis designed to follow the laws of physics you keep the wear curve heading in a better direction. I have done my share of crazy in a pinch things, but I want to see a machine doing this day in and day out for 5 years and the ball bar test throughout those years and see how that machine compares to one not taking a beating like the machine doing it will. Then 10 years and if it is holding tenths I will say okay I was wrong and a very well designed piece of equipment.

• Like 1

Yeah, the travels on that last video are pretty short.  I've heard of people destroying their lead screws with short surfacing paths.

We blew a leadscrew on one of the machines.

I believe it was due to a job that always went on that machine (we have 4 the same make/model but this job for some reason always went on #2 machine).

Cheap repair - just got x+y reballed.

But I'm sure it was down to peel milling and small movement and high feed/combination.

I've been doing HFM on 17-4 and Ti and the paths seem to work just fine without microlifts.  It doesn't seem to shorten the life of the cutter or anything, and it executes faster.  I do have a part coming up where I have to cut some .040" wide by .275" long slots in the end of some thin walled tube; I'll have to keep false-brinelling in mind.

• Like 1

Can't find any discussion of it online, but I'd guess that a linear motor machine would handle this sort of thing much better; no ball screws to false-brinel, you'd only have to worry about your ways / guides if they have rollers that might false-brinel.

I loved the idea of the Moog Hydrapoint design. Hydraulic linear actuators so no screw or backlash. Slap glass scales on it and away you go!

• Like 1

I loved the idea of the Moog Hydrapoint design. Hydraulic linear actuators so no screw or backlash. Slap glass scales on it and away you go!

Until you had to run one with two layers of ear protection.

Those puppies musta had the loudest hydraulic pumps on the planet. Not to mention they consume more power sitting, than cutting. Servo -valve...maybe not the best design choice....maybe. wink.

now a closed loop electric servo motor to hyd. pump to linear actuator... that might be a workable.

You're still going to have bearings in your electric pump.

I'm thinking pure torque reversals would be relatively unfelt to motor bearings compared to using a screw to swing a table around.

correct me if i'm wrong.

edit: oh yeah, in the pump. gotcha. wonder what the better pump design would be? Vane/swashplate variable/ piston/....

All about application and ROI. The gig I had where we used this...we cut annulus grooves at 10-12X dia's deep in hydraulic manifolds using devib boring bars. No way could these parts be chucked in a lathe efficiently. Saved countless hours on machine time & custom tooling that used to be used to interpolate the grooves. Sure the potential for machine wear is there. Tho by the time you count the hours and days and months saved...machine wear becomes a minimal cost (till the day comes where ballscrews have to be replaced & the job was due yesterday...yea that never happens)

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

We are getting new machines that support orbit machining (Mazak HCN). I would like to hear numbers based on actual experience about attainable tolerance and roudness for "easy-to-machine" steels (finish cut). For example, the hole diameter is 5" (120mm) and SFM is about 820FPM (250m/min), what IT tolerance grade should we expect regarding diameter and roundness?