Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Going to lose it on Mastercam Missing Drive Curves

ahaslam

I'm using Multi axis tool path - Curve to deburr a part. First tool path looks amazing. Just what I wanted. So I moved on to the second path. Copy... Paste... Re select 3D Curves. I noticed that It says zero curves selected right after I selected curves. So I try again. Still nothing. I deleted the tool path and just started with a new one. Still, same issue. So I shut down mastercam and restarted.... Same issue... To heck with it, I restarted My computer... Still I can't select Curves unless I start a completely new file.

Some one please tell me I don't have to completely start over. It's an easy program but I'm not used to 5 Axis and I don't want to keep having to restart my program. Any ideas?

(sim already verified with emastercam, I'm legit. As for asking my mastercam guy, my re seller is... A good guy... lets just leave it at that)

• Like 1

If I had to guess I'd say you are not really selecting new curves

when you click on the geometry tab the geometry window opens up

you need to right click in the window

select rechain all geometry

this will open the chain manager

chain your new geometry and close green check out

I have this happen to me on Surface-Blend toolpath. I copy the toolpath, then delete and re-select the the curves. Everything appears fine with no errors, but upon regenerating the toolpath, I get an error about needing two curves.

Yes that is the difference.

my biggest issue with using solids fro drive geometry is the

"Only display associative geometry" button in the Toolpath Manager

does not work with solid curves.... or am I doing something wrong??

CNC has put up some really nice mutilaxis sample files on their website

http://www.mastercam.com/en-us/Support/Sample-Files

but they are all solids driven and I can't tell what is actually driving the toolpath

That makes them great eyecandy, but useless for learning how to create these toolpaths

my biggest issue with using solids fro drive geometry is the

"Only display associative geometry" button in the Toolpath Manager

does not work with solid curves.... or am I doing something wrong??

CNC has put up some really nice mutilaxis sample files on their website

http://www.mastercam.com/en-us/Support/Sample-Files

but they are all solids driven and I can't tell what is actually driving the toolpath

That makes then great eyecandy, but useless for learning how to create these toolpaths

No you are not missing anything. Hard to train and show customers what you are doing when they can't open a level or see what you are driving something to. Part of the reason why I still use wireframe or surfaces for a lot of my toolpaths. That and the fact Mastercam still doesn't know you are working with solid when solids is the only thing on the screen. If I have to go tell the system I am programming to solid when solid is the only thing on the screen then why not use the process it is looking for? Wireframe and surfaces. I have label my levels and color everything and then someone can read the levels and see the who, what, where and why things are done they way they are done. I am not saying I don't ever used solids for programming, but find myself still using wireframe and surfaces for the reason you just mentioned.

• Like 1

I never use solid chains and never have any problems like this....takes seconds to create a window or boundary and the upside and payoff is just what Ron says.  You have a visual for later... priceless.

Ya solid chains are cool...they give you neat automatic pics in the active reports instead of just a back plot...but that is the only reason I could see ever using them and it's not worth it for me.

When's first started using mcam on X7 as demo then we bought x8 I used solid A LOT. When X9 came out I drifted back towards geo/surface for everything and find I have way fewer frustrations and find myself happy with the Toolpath on the first green check most of the time. With solids I had to regen and regen to get the path I wanted.

• Like 3