Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Ramp Milling

Hi guys,

I am needing to 3d mill a 6 degree angle on a 3 axis cnc milling machine. I have never done this before and have been told I am better doing it bottom of the anlge to the top. Not sute how to tackle it.

Any advice would be grateful. I have attached an example of what the part is hope it helps.

post-71778-0-70262700-1472077308_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

So sorry for the late reply have been busy with assessments for Worldskills UK. 

The material is Mild steel. Its an open tolerance of +/- 0.5 degrees for the ramp

Here is the link for the file which I placed on my one drive (I have attempted a ramp but not sure if its correct): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8NaxduLlxIQSW1sNUVuNE9VODQ/view?usp=sharing

I have the following available for general cutting:

• 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm Rippers (Carbide)
  • 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm Endmills (Carbide)
  • 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm Slotdrills (HHS)

Another yes for flowline. Create surface from solid onto another level. Turn off your model level so you just have your surface.

Extend your surface by 3/4 of your cutter dia and flowline rough. Finish using flowline. You can play with your settings to get the start and direction you want.

For mild I'd use a bull nose to rough and ball to finish.

10 or 12mm dia to keep the surface speed up.

Since you do not have a 3d model created I am not fully sure what you are trying to do. From the looks of your file you created a wcs parallel to the ramp surface you created, this really is not ramp machining. Assuming you are using a 3 axis mill you would have to tilt your part on this angle. Set your wcs, tool plane and construction plane to top. Then create your tool path for the "ramp" using one of the suggested tool paths listed above by Reko.

I would first create a solid model, in your drawing you have no way to add check surfaces. If you can send me a pdf or a photo of the part I can create the solid model for you.

This is from your file so everybody can see how you have the planes set currently.

Capture_zps3h0ygjq3.jpg

Assuming you are using a 3 axis mill and the part is laying flat this is how the planes should look, this is a "ramp".

Capture2_zpsnozkqe9q.jpg

Is this for competition in Gcode programming or using mastercam? If the first I would recommend use of a subrogram or macro and trigonometry. If it's for mastercam, sorry kid the minimum you will have to create is a surface. You could do 2d contour with angle on the depth cuts page but that's not going to be ramp milling.