Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plunge Milling in Mastercam

I use plunge milling quite frequently.  Does any one here use the plunge surface path in mcam?  I have not quite figured out how to get it to work...  is there a way to input both X and Y stepovers?  It seems to me that it outputs about eleventygabillion extra points compared to old schooling it and using a drill path.

Does any one have an example they would share that makes good use of this toolpath?

Plunge Milling has always been a little 'wonky' in Mastercam, since the regular plunge Milling surface tool path doesn't allow you to move off the wall before retracting. Many times I've had to disable "rapid retract" and set a "retract feedrate" to avoid ripping the inserts out of the pockets.

But, there is a new feature available. In the ModuleWorks paths, they have a Plunge option. And they allow you to move off the wall before retracting! So I'd recommend using the "triangular mesh" paths and using the Plunge option.

3D contours, all the way! :laughing:

But my typical application usually only involves 5-10 plunge cuts, patterned around a radially symmetrical part, and the parts are designed with a 1 degree draft angle so the rapid retract works fine.

If you didn't have a draft angle, you could always add a perpendicular wire entity .01-.02 long or so to move away from the wall before retracting, only needs to be enough to account for any deflection you may have plus a hair or two.

LOL, I like drill because we set our rapid on 10% for plunging and have a spring pass on the way back.  We use Iscar Tang Plunge and H490 most of the time and the cut on retract keeps the cut consistent.  Both tools made to cut on the side so the retract is no problem.  I have done it with 3d contour but if you have to change anything.  The last time I did we had hard spots in the material and I ended up having to edit about 40,000 plunge points.  Which sucked.

• Like 3

Also, for the record the tang plunge is 2.5in, 5 inserts, 0.0045ipt, 0.4in plunge step on 2in pattern and 2.5in H490 is .385in plunge step and 0.0075ipt. The only thing I change is surface footage to match the material. 4140 you'll get about 1hr life on H490 and about 1.5hr on tang plunge.

For any one interested. I'd be interested if any one would post what they plunge.

The real world is metric. (Claus Terp)

:D

Is anything outside the US really the "real" world   :p

I don't think so   :)

:plays the Storm Trooper/Darth Vader March:

The world should be Imperial....you will all bow to the power of the Imperial measuring system