Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Samsung Lathe

We recently bought a Samsung lathe, but not the model you mention. It's the SL-35.

Very nice machine, the tech support people in our area are about as smart as a bag of hammers though.

One major design flaw on the SL-35 that you might want to look for on other models is the location of the glass window. It's directly in-line with the fricking chuck!

So,you know those big drill slugs that pop out when using a 2-1/2" indexable drill?  Yeah, it only took 4 of those slugs to shatter that window.

The guy came out to pop a new one in, and refused to believe it was a drill slug that busted the window. He said the part hit the window and shattered it. :rolleyes

Complete incompetence. The new glass one shattered 3 days later, they installed ANOTHER one, this time plexiglass, which of course gets scratched up in no time.

But for quality, it's right along the lines of the old school SL-35 that I used to run back in the early 90's. Very stout, no complaints at all.

• Like 1

They did look pretty nice. The only downside I saw was that service was though Ellison and from what I gather that company is like the plague.

That's the 1st time I've heard anything negative about Ellison. IMHO you can't beat Ellison service here in the SoCal area, no other distributor even comes close except for maybe HFO but that's for Haas machines. Doosan machines offer great value if you're not going with a high-end machine, they've been around quite a while now, have a broad product line and they buy more Fanuc controllers than any builder now too. I'd be leery of relatively new machine tool builders thou. How long has Samsung been making lathes? And they haven't figured where to put the window? Don't they make phones that need the optional fire extinguisher?

I can see how Brother got into machine tool building because they bought so many machines it would be better in the long term to develop their own. However their product line is very narrow most likely just machines that they use themselves.

Cheers!

Len Dye

• Like 1

DMG Mori would be my second choice if we had extra money. I would hope the service would be decent considering we have a manufacturing plant about 2 hours away from here. They don't make any of the machines we want but at least we would have someone local to yell at.

This year is going to see some stuff improve in our shop hopefully.

Looking into getting Cimco or Predator PDM, Verisurf CMM programming and maybe an arm, Jobboss, hopefully some new tooling and more seats of Mastercam.

We have to prioritize but you got to hope.

DMG Mori would be my second choice if we had extra money. I would hope the service would be decent considering we have a manufacturing plant about 2 hours away from here. They don't make any of the machines we want but at least we would have someone local to yell at.

This year is going to see some stuff improve in our shop hopefully.

Looking into getting Cimco or Predator PDM, Verisurf CMM programming and maybe an arm, Jobboss, hopefully some new tooling and more seats of Mastercam.

We have to prioritize but you got to hope.

Predator PDM now that's a plague I would avoid full-on.. what a kludge! Unfortunately some Jr engineers bought into this package about the time I returned to work here. I had written my own PDM database that included form based set-up sheets and work instructions but it was too late. The biggest mistake other than buying a POS software was the entire emphasis was getting the documents in PDM with total disregard to the content that was being put in PDM or the value thereof. We totally missed a golden opportunity to re-visit the way we document jobs. After 3 years I wouldn't even call it 1/2 way implemented yet and its' a major cluster-f @ck to maintain.

Documentation of the machining operations is one of my pet-peeves in this trade and I'm a firm believer this is best way to address the current skills gap. With solid standard operating procedures and comprehensive work instructions it addresses so many factors in the shop like setup reduction, scrap reduction & training needs.

Len Dye

• Like 1

That's the 1st time I've heard anything negative about Ellison. IMHO you can't beat Ellison service here in the SoCal area.

Cheers!

Len Dye

That is ONLY because your shop is a platinum partner or whatever they are calling your status these days. Regular shops DO NOT get the level of service you do. I know that for a fact. You and Thomas CNC and a few others breathe rarified air.