Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best method to corner pick Radius ??

tim_h

I'm looking for suggestions on the best methods to finish cut these corner radius'.

I've been experimenting with "Flowline" and "Waterline REST" referencing to a stock model.

So far I haven't come up with the greatest looking toolpaths.

This is on a Horz, rotating so flat areas can be faced milled.

Part is oriented long in Y axis.

I am thinking I may follow prior suggestions to create surfaces and use flowline toolpaths.

It appears to be very tedious however.

I was hoping for an EASY BUTTON here...

Any suggestions ?

THANKS !

post-42383-0-77837200-1485258427_thumb.png

My Pencil paths are not coming out very well... They are cutting perpendicular to the corner radius instead of along the corner... and cutting up the side walls. (Bitangency angle maybe?)

Definitely some room for learning / improvement...

post-42383-0-58316800-1485262849_thumb.png

I would pick that out with Optirest after the flats have been finished, then try pencil.  If you get crappy results with the HST pencil try the standard surface machining pencil.  In my experience the flowline works well with simpler radii but that part looks like it might take 6-8 flowline toolpaths to run efficiently where the cut direction isn't changing 20 times.  Another thing I like about pencil it is will collapse reducing the need for perfect roughing.  With some finessing you should be able to finish that entire part with 1-2 pencil toolpaths and it will run very well (smoothly).  Another dark horse is the multi-axis morph between curves.  Maybe Ron will chime in on this.  It really is amazing what that can do though it is a little work to get it going if not familiar with it.  How many of these are you producing?  Repeat job?

It was a WHOLE LOT EASIER when I had Power-Mill for this kind of cornering...

We are only making 8 pcs.  Repeat job... maybe

Lots of different ways to do this, yes.

We have multi-axis available, i just haven't explored using it much.

Thanks for the input fellas'

Don't get discouraged brother. I come from another top level software and I was hating it at first. Now you couldn't get me to go back.

Can you share a file? Is it the pocket or the others that are troubling? What is your desired finish, cycle time and what is the material?

My biggest hurdle is that I know smoother tool paths are possible, i just don't know the best way to get MCX to do it. It would be great to do it without a ton of geometry creation...

I work in a programming dept of one. So I really appreciate the help that I get here !!

Here is what i'm going with. It's a combination of Flowline, Water line, and Raster(for leftover cusps).

I don't think I can share.

It's aluminum.

Finish is not specified.

post-42383-0-03368200-1485435496_thumb.png

post-42383-0-47124800-1485435504_thumb.png

• Like 1

How about a simpler solution?

I will finish the walls and floors til where the rad starts then do the rads like in the example attached. I would also add some multipass cuts to just remove the most of material on those rads 1st leaving let's say 0.01, then a finish cut like in the file.

You can have comp on the cutter and control the size also and plus less code.

See attachment

ajmer_ihs_CORNER RADIUS.mcam

• Like 1