Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2017 Dim issue bugging me

jlw™

No need to unlock it.

You will never be able to set a drafting dim on a print where it needs to go the first time..

You must wait until you get all the drafting on the print and then move them around where they need to go...

so I just throw my dimensions in there any old way I can then click smart dimension and finalize my print and move/format all the drafting entities.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Müřlıń® said:

No need to unlock it.

You will never be able to set a drafting dim on a print where it needs to go the first time..

You must wait until you get all the drafting on the print and then move them around where they need to go...

so I just throw my dimensions in there any old way I can then click smart dimension and finalize my print and move/format all the drafting entities.

Hahaha !!! You'd have never got a job in a drawing office in the pre-cad days then :rolleyes:

From a clean piece of paper on the board, you'd have to think where what view was going where, and how many dims (roughly) to the left, to the right, yada yada.

Mind, that was the days when prints had a bit of 'skill' to lay them out - nowadays default dim text with 3 or 4 decimals so parts are tighter tolerance than they need to be etc.

It annoys me like an irritable nose hair. J-el-Dubbya will know what that's like...

:D

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

I'm not doing a production dwg here Morlin, I just want to throw a dim or two on setup sheets or make quick 2d for work supports.

I treat it like a tin roof and nail it.

Good luck with that :)

This is one of the reasons I so prefer SW's for design & layout work......the CAD side of MCAM still leaves MUCH to be desired 

Edited by Guest
10 hours ago, Müřlıń® said:

so I just throw my dimensions in there any old way I can then click smart dimension

This is how I do it. Also I find that the leaders are usually too long when the dimension is initially placed, and then when I move it, it shortens up correctly.

9 hours ago, newbeeee said:

Hahaha !!! You'd have never got a job in a drawing office in the pre-cad days then :rolleyes:

From a clean piece of paper on the board, you'd have to think where what view was going where, and how many dims (roughly) to the left, to the right, yada yada.

Mind, that was the days when prints had a bit of 'skill' to lay them out - nowadays default dim text with 3 or 4 decimals so parts are tighter tolerance than they need to be etc.

It annoys me like an irritable nose hair. J-el-Dubbya will know what that's like...

:D

I used Mylar and had a case of erasers for my electric eraser.... :blink:

Been there...done that.....

Now I just keep 2 versions of a print...one that has live entities...and one that I broke all the drafting....

Sometimes you have to break dim lines, delete sections to some editing to make it all work.

I can create a print a thousand times faster now with today's tools...

Even throwing up a dim and clicking on Smart dim to move/format it where I want it to go only takes a second or 2.....

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Müřlıń® said:

I used Mylar and had a case of erasers for my electric eraser.... :blink:

Been there...done that.....

Now I just keep 2 versions of a print...one that has live entities...and one that I broke all the drafting....

Sometimes you have to break dim lines, delete sections to some editing to make it all work.

I can create a print a thousand times faster now with today's tools...

Even throwing up a dim and clicking on Smart dim to move/format it where I want it to go only takes a second or 2.....

Electric Eraser!?!

You were spoilt :D

5 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

Hopefully there's going to be a general "scale factor" for the dimensioning sometime soon. I rarely do dimensioning but every time I do, the fonts come up too big and always have to change every one of them individually.

Not sure I follow you here. There is a scale I use it all the time so please explain better.

3 hours ago, Jay Kramer @ Precision Programming said:

Jeremy,

I do not have a way to keep unlocked. but do you know if you create for example at Horz Dim and select your points for the Dim and that's when locks it. At that point select the letter "K" key and it will lock and unlock at that moment so you do not have to go back later.

Thanks Jay, I didn't know that little trick.  That unlocks the "horizontal" but I want to be able to keep that association but move the numbres around.  You could in X9.