Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to Slice a Wheel

Ok guys...Is there an efficient way slice a wheel (solid) to obtain the geometry needed for a turning profile? I have read the other post---done the c/curve/slice thing. The problem is, the wheel has so many "non-uniform" interruptions to the profile....I can e-mail the file to anyone who is interested.....

Thanks,

Gail

Well the best thing I have found with crazy soilds is to create a soild that is a rectangle bigger that that half of the part. I then do a boolen soild remove for that side of the solid. In the trget tool you have 2 opitions I just turn them to n and you will end up with have your soild gone if you set them to y then you get everything left there is all.

I'm sure there are a variety of ways to deal with this.

What is the source model from? If possible, I'd go back to the model and suppress the milling cuts B4 creating the .MC9, then you won't have them to deal with at all for turning.

Otherwise, you can rotate Cplanes to a variey of angles, slice, then rotate the slices to the DZ plane and then sort out the mess of overlapping geometry segments. banghead.gif

Now that you've heard from a rookie, maybe one of the pros will hop in. wink.gif

Hello

You could try and copy the file then create a rectangle over half of the wheel. Then use it to extrude cut the wheel in half. That should give you the profile you need. It you just want the outline you could the create edge curves in that face. Just a thought

smile.gif

Eric

gplush and others,

Lathe can now apply turning toolpaths directly to solid geometry in V9. If there is a hole or other feature which breaks the "slice" profile, rotating the part from the Right Side Cplane will allow you to find an unbroken "slice". If there are no areas which are clear of breaks after rotation, try the "find features" function in the solids menu to locate, and suppress, features that interfere with the toolpath profile. HTH biggrin.gif