Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Used VF2 ss buying advice.

Looking to upgrade my basic xxxx Carl 2001 VF0 to a 2003 VF2ss I see for sale.

In my quick research I've found some people complain about the courser pitch ball screws, and others don't notice a thing. It says it has probing as well, so curious what I should be on the look out for there, if anything. Also waiting to find the hours. Looks like it has seen a fair amount of use.

Would love to hear of other things to look out for with these early SS's. Also do they use brushless 4th axis servos? 

Asking price is $32500, and will have to ship from So Cal to Oregon.

Thanks!

00u0u_gdRSpQ7DdGy_1200x900.jpg

01717_gpqe1N2gkeI_1200x900.jpg

00101_362EgUNtf21_1200x900.jpg

00J0J_g0AK2z7sfRO_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_5fJvQzvdta8_1200x900.jpg

Yeah, I could get an inspection. I think Selway does one for about $500 plus travel time. Not sure how much extra the ball bar would be. Debating just flying down there with an indicator and getting a feel for it myself. I have heard bad stories about Haas tech's saying a machine was good to go when it wasnt.

This vintage could be a crap shoot on brushless 4th drive or not. My 2002 is brush rotary. better call Oxnard with the serial# to be sure?

better budget for a spindle replacement if it hasn't been done ever.

looks like the original screen. My CRT went bad. $700 for a crappy monochrome panel from haas.

Judging by the paint wear, including around cycle start buttons, it seems they got their money's worth out of it.

• Like 1

my used Hass buying advice???

Don't do it !!!! :o

on the serious side, the SS models get their high speed by using long pitch lead screws

this yields blazing rapids, but also causes inherent accuracy issues 

Glass scales are an option for these machines.. but who knows if this machine has them

or if they are working properly.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

My VF-3SS does great on surfacing, but then it's only two years old.  Regarding the spindle; if there's an issue at least they're cheap and readily available.

after about 40IPM it will not follow a surface, you will see it if you use multiple ball endmills.

we did a lot of testing with our haas tech and ended up trading a SS in for a moldmaker

For now I"m just doing basic prismatic parts, but I suppose if I cant even turn a corner at over 100ipm, that wouldn't make me happy.  And it would be nice to be able to surface stuff at a reasonable feed someday as well.

For the money, what other options do I have in a 30 x 20 ish sized machine?  I really am hooked on the fact that this machine has the probe option, which I hear is either difficult, or expensive to add after the fact on 2006(?) and older machines.

29 minutes ago, kunfuzed said:

For now I"m just doing basic prismatic parts, but I suppose if I cant even turn a corner at over 100ipm, that wouldn't make me happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing dynamic ops at 200-300 IPM wih 833 IPM back feed in those materials quite successfully.  I'm just running final finish passes slower, and I'm not doing aluminum.

• Like 1

We are getting a new Doosan DNM4500 and we are GIVING our 2005 Daewoo DMV 3016L to the dealer. It only has 3000 hours on it, had a spindle replaced about 5 years ago so it might be due for another soon. The only reason we are giving it to them for free is that they have to disassemble it to remove it from our shop.

• Like 1

The Doosan machine is a much more rigid machine then a Haas IMHO, look at the gross weight of the machine. They are a Mori clone.

I had a relatively great deal lined up on a Robodrill (demo machine) but Fanuc refused to even remove a button on it to get it in here.

The problem with buying any used equipment is the same regardless of the make....you don't know what you are getting unless you know the machine and how it was used and maintained.

• Like 1