Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping 0-80 in 303 Free machining SS

mike561h

We have been tapping by hand or with a tapmatic 0-80 threads.  I'm drilling the hole .052 so they don't break.

I'm going to just start tapping on the machine if i can get them not o break.  Only going .150 DP. I know if guys who use RPM of 1000 for Titanium

for 6-32 4-40 etc..  We are using standard taps nothing fancy. Any recs on speeds and feeds  303 free machining. these are a bitch to remove after they snap.

Thanks,

mike

I would try to find a form tap.

We are tapping a m1 thread in fee machining invar which machines similar to stainless.

It is an emuge form tap and was 70 bucks each but its worth it. 

I peck tap at 2mm peck I believe. I can get the EDP number tomorrow if you wish. They should have an inch selection.

1 minute ago, Leon82 said:

I would try to find a form tap.

We are tapping a m1 thread in fee machining invar which machines similar to stainless.

It is an emuge form tap and was 70 bucks each but its worth it. 

I peck tap at 2mm peck I believe. I can get the EDP number tomorrow if you wish. They should have an inch selection.

Would you say that $70 tap will last.  How deep are you going. what speeds and feeds.  

4 hours ago, metalmansteve said:

We use TiCN coated roll tap OSG 1400100108 on 49% nickel parts all the time.  $14.20 from Western Tool.  It never occurred to me to peck tap a form tap but maybe that works.  We go 1500 rpms.  Drill #54.  We can do a thousand holes (or more) per tap...typically about .100 deep.

I told the guys here to order a couple. 1000 holes sounds good to me...

thanks,