Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface conversion

JAMMAN

Do you mean create surface curves off of the surface? Create,curves,all edges, surfaces (perhaps all surfaces), done, do it.

Or am I misunderstanding you? If you need splines on just a single surface to get more detail, I usually create some lines and then do a create, curve, projected.

I hope that helps.

Create

Curve

All edges

All

Surfaces

Done

Do it

Simple process tho I would like to add. Change your Primary layer before you do this so the lines will be on differnt layer then surface. After you lines are made you may want to do a delete all duplicate and delete all splines. Splines might delete stuff you need but it is easyer to work with non-splines.

Just my Opinion tho

I recall a function in Unigraphics that allowed the creation of "surface curves" basically replicating the "mesh". You could create them in the U and V directions on the surface.

Mastercam doesn't have that function, but I think the suggestion of projecting lines onto the surfaces, in whatever direction you desire, would be a good solution. (Would sure beat buying, and then learning, UG too smile.gif )

The problem with projecting lines onto your surface or create/curve/slice is that if you try and recreate your surface from these curves, you'll most likely have a real hard time duplicating it exactly. Yes you have geometry that exactly mapped your surface right? Well somewhat. You have some geo that fit to your original surface, but it doesnt follow the "flow" of the surface.

If you just want a representation of your surface in horizontal and verticle wireframe, the create/curve/slice or projecting lines will work just fine. If your using this geo in hopes to recreate the surface then go with create/curve/flowline.

Personally, in this situation I'll bring the surface(s) into rhino and extract the UV curves from the surface from there...rhino makes this very easy to do