Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

needing a library of 40T and 50T holders

danielm

They come with every install of Mastercam since about X7. Your issue is probably the fact when you use the standard library of tools there is a hodgepodge of holders in there that make no Rhyme or Reason as to their their names and cover BT30 to HSK-100.

What I have done and recommend to customers for years now, (Yes years and seems crazy you still can't right the process, but such is life) is to open two Tool Managers. Copy the tools out of the library you are using the most. I have been using the Big-Inch along since it was removed from the install process. A better tool library with a lot more selection of tools, but what do I know I am crazy right? So I copy the tool from the tool library into the holder library I will be using. I then assign the Tool Holder as my tools library to use in the Operations manager. Now I can go to any operation and pick any tool and any holder without having to go pick my holder library every time because they are not combined in the traditional install.  I figure this one thing saves me 20% to 30% in programming time not having to keep going back and picking my holder library. When I am programming I get into a groove and having to stop that and go to tell the software what holder I am using just breaks my train of thought.

• 5 months later...

bump...

Ok, for those of you on the off topic side, you may remember that I got our company to stick with Mastercam. Part of the promise from our reseller was the promise of downloading exact copies of our CAT 50 holders, shrink fit and other extensions and tooling so that we can properly define everything in our simulations to minimize collisions and such...

I've been on the Machining Cloud and read the frustration of others here about that and Coroplus. And the Cloud doesn't even seem to have the holders/extensions that we use the majority of the time...

So what is an intelligent way to begin building our holder, extensions and tooling library? I've read Ron's suggestion and will try to look into that tomorrow as I'm walking out the door now...but just curious if anyone else has any good ideas.

Thanks,

Scott

5 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

I prefer creating and modifying in the external tool manager.  Much easier, faster and you can stack components as well as tweak length.

Problem is you cannot add solid through the stand along you must do that through the internal one. This was covered on the official Forum in great detail and if you need to build assemblies with different holders you must follow a specific process. The assemblies cannot be built without a tool so you must know before hand what tool you want to build holder assemblies for. I have one project where some of the holder assemblies are being used on 10 different tools. I cannot grab that holder for an operation assembly unless I have build the complete tool and assembly in the outside tool manager.

13 hours ago, JParis said:

I have and have shared on the forum Techniks, Briney & Lyndex CAT40 shrink fit holders .....

If those will help

hmmm John, I hate this search function...couldn't find what you were referring to...got a link? Sorry...Trying to figure out how to do this intelligently so we can grab holders...extensions..and tooling...we use a lot of Precision Component holders...Hy Pro shrink fit holders/extensions...amongst others...just not even sure where to start so that it doesn't become complete chaos...

1 hour ago, sharles said:

just not even sure where to start so that it doesn't become complete chaos...

Check their website for holder/component models....if they aren't available on the website, contact Tech Support, I have found companies will provide them if you tell them what lines you're looking for.....

You can use either wireframe or solid models to create them....which there is several ways to do, I prefer working in the standalone Tool Manager and creating the libraries...

Briney

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t9stuzn7i5197w/Briney CAT40 Tool Holders.tooldb?dl=0

Lyndex

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6m6lva68ejnrff/LYNDEX HOLDERS CAT40.zip?dl=0

Techniks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijs3l7ahugazz5c/Techniks Holders.tooldb?dl=0 

The Briney & Lyndex I believe are 2018 files, the Techniks is 2019

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the help...however, I got yanked off the situation almost as soon as I was asked to figure it out🙄 I was told they want the independent consultant they hired to do this...but I was in the meeting when he clearly told everyone he expected US to do it...oh well, I'm just a peon and will go back to keeping my head down and hoping for the best...:sofa:

13 minutes ago, sharles said:

Thanks for the help...however, I got yanked off the situation almost as soon as I was asked to figure it out🙄 I was told they want the independent consultant they hired to do this...but I was in the meeting when he clearly told everyone he expected US to do it...oh well, I'm just a peon and will go back to keeping my head down and hoping for the best...:sofa:

Hum well tell you independent contractor he better have gotten everything in writing.

3 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Hum well tell you independent contractor he better have gotten everything in writing.

I dunno, Ron...I started the 'campaign' to keep mastercam in our company instead of switching to Tebis on the off topic forum with your help and some of the other guys...but then I got told I was no longer in charge...and any time I ask too much now, I get told, "you don't need to worry about that...that's why we hired the independent consultant..." So I'm not completely sure what is and isn't happening anymore. I think they are just paying him by the hour, but from his attitude in the meeting, he kind of acted like WHY would we waste his time paying him to do something we could do on our own...so like I said...back to keeping my head low and staying out of things where I'm not wanted...

• Sad 1
On 8/1/2018 at 4:29 PM, sharles said:

bump...

Ok, for those of you on the off topic side, you may remember that I got our company to stick with Mastercam. Part of the promise from our reseller was the promise of downloading exact copies of our CAT 50 holders, shrink fit and other extensions and tooling so that we can properly define everything in our simulations to minimize collisions and such...

I've been on the Machining Cloud and read the frustration of others here about that and Coroplus. And the Cloud doesn't even seem to have the holders/extensions that we use the majority of the time...

So what is an intelligent way to begin building our holder, extensions and tooling library? I've read Ron's suggestion and will try to look into that tomorrow as I'm walking out the door now...but just curious if anyone else has any good ideas.

Thanks,

Scott

I have sent requests through the Machining Cloud for Techniks, Sandvik and Ultra-Dex. Add your requests for what you want and if enough are made they may add themselves on. Sandvik does have most everything modeled up but it is a pain to find them. If you or your distributor makes a request to your local Techniks rep you can get STEP files from them.

• Thanks 1

I use a lot of Techniks.  Everything I have needed was for the asking with a simple email.  Usually a day or two response but the response was always what I needed.  Techniks has been a great product with great support.

• 5 years later...
23 hours ago, avega602 said:

The Mastercam tool manager proves highly valuable, yet those who have experienced the effort of generating a DXF file for a tool holder to import into the tool manager understand that it can be quite a laborious task. "Spammers name deleted " provides comprehensive tool holder libraries, eliminating the need to go through each step individually for every holder. This approach significantly streamlines the process and saves a considerable amount of time.

Open the toolmanager inside Mastercam (not the standalone application), there you can import STP files straight to the holder database. As long as the holders provided by the manufacturer are clean and Z axis up.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:02 AM, jpatry said:

The sound of chips hitting the window, Fanuc controls, seeing my wear offsets all running on zero, and undercut tools.

I used to work with cranky Hank and he would have .499 .374 ect end mills in his programs. you should see how he adjusted his threadmills

3 hours ago, Leon82 said:

I used to work with cranky Hank and he would have .499 .374 ect end mills in his programs. you should see how he adjusted his threadmills

The operation I work for, for the longest time programmed all their corner rounders and chamfermills as endmills with fudge factor offsets, and just avoided threadmills because they were "complicated".

Nowadays I have almost all our tools modeled and in the library with sane feeds and speeds, and I and my main co-conspirator are pushing usage of macro functions, undercut tools, etc, to redude parts to single op.

I'm waiting for the day I get complained at for fully deburring the part in the machine because "what's the guy going to do while the part runs?", or something even more absurd.