Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

CNC dropping partnership with Volumill?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

TEEJAY

TEEJAY

5 Axis Choreographer

• Moderators
  • 6,171 posts

I'd like to share, but not until I sleep on it, this is a lot to take in.

Dont take this the wrong way Dave, But I really wonder how any of you at CNC can sleep at night since the beginning of the "X" files
  • Bob Wolcott likes this

dforsythe

dforsythe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
John,

PM sent

Neurosis

Neurosis

Forum Indigent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
I got word today that this was not the decision of Volumill but the decision of CNC software. I dont want to go in to the exact verbiage but the short story is, CNC doesnt want to support this plugin anymore when they have tool paths of their own that accomplish the same thing.

Does this mean the end for Cimco as well? Volumill and CNC had a partnership (CNC supplied Volumill with a seat of Mastercam for development) and I am not sure that they have this same partnership with Cimco. The way that it was explained to me, Volumill in some peoples opinion, has become more of a competitor than an addition. Im not sure what that means or if that is an interpretation of what is going on or an accurate statement. I'll be waiting to hear what Dave has to say about all of this.

Bob Wolcott

Bob Wolcott

Advanced Member

• eMC Learning Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

I dont want to go in to the exact verbiage but the short story is, CNC doesnt want to support this plugin anymore when they have tool paths of their own that accomplish the same thing.

They don't do the same thing. For some parts Dynamic milling or Optirough are better and for some parts Volumill is better. I use both very often as they both have their strengths. Volumill REALLY shines when it comes to 3D rest roughing and Optirough doesn't even have an option for that. Often times if one toolpath fails the other will work. I don't see them competing as much as I see them making a better complete package.

The way that it was explained to me, Volumill in some peoples opinion, has become more of a competitor than an addition

I have never programmed a part from start to finish using Volumill :-)

Joe788

Joe788

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts

I got word today that this was not the decision of Volumill but the decision of CNC software. I dont want to go in to the exact verbiage but the short story is, CNC doesnt want to support this plugin anymore when they have tool paths of their own that accomplish the same thing.

Does this mean the end for Cimco as well? Volumill and CNC had a partnership (CNC supplied Volumill with a seat of Mastercam for development) and I am not sure that they have this same partnership with Cimco. The way that it was explained to me, Volumill in some peoples opinion, has become more of a competitor than an addition. Im not sure what that means or if that is an interpretation of what is going on or an accurate statement. I'll be waiting to hear what Dave has to say about all of this.

Interesting. Is there anything that would stop Volumill from being run in Mastercam anyways if they really wanted to? I don't know enough about how chooks and add-ins are developed.

Dave.L

Dave.L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Interesting. Is there anything that would stop Volumill from being run in Mastercam anyways if they really wanted to? I don't know enough about how chooks and add-ins are developed.

Guys, go to the volumill website and read their statement by clicking the MC link. They claim to have another product that runs in any system but that's all I know.

Bob Wolcott

Bob Wolcott

Advanced Member

• eMC Learning Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
There are some 5-axis parts I make that are roughed and prepped in 3-axis and roughed again and prepped in 5-axis for the final finish. With Volumill I can hit only the areas that need to be hit and not waste any time cutting air. This is with the stl driven rest roughing. I really hope Mastercam has an answer for this because I will be at a huge loss if it doesn't. Notice how close this part is roughed out before the tapered end mill begins finishing, and there was no wasted motion with the tool cutting air.

Neurosis

Neurosis

Forum Indigent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

I really hope Mastercam has an answer for this because I will be at a huge loss if it doesn't.

You can use SHS rest rough. :rolleyes:

Joe788

Joe788

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts

Guys, go to the volumill website and read their statement by clicking the MC link. They claim to have another product that runs in any system but that's all I know.

Dave, after perusing the manual, I don't think it runs "in" any system. It's just a stand alone system that posts code. Kind of a bummer.

newbeeee

newbeeee

old but NOT grown up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
Bob - that's a really neat part. Hats off to you.

David - Please don't split out the trochoidal toolpaths and make them an option. That will REALLY suck.

Bob Wolcott

Bob Wolcott

Advanced Member

• eMC Learning Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

You can use SHS rest rough.

Bwaaahahahahaha! Funny :-)

David - Please don't split out the trochoidal toolpaths and make them an option. That will REALLY suck.

Yeah, and it would really make me wonder exactly what I was paying maintenance for over the last few years. What exactly did it buy me if these new features are split off and sold separately? It certainly didn't buy me many bug fixes.

Dave.L

Dave.L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
Guys, I know you are all more affected than I will be however it was nice to see someone from CNC software post. As a suggestion, maybe wait until he replies, as he stated he would,to avoid speculation and rants that may not be required?

gcode

gcode

Serenity

• Moderators
  • 20,785 posts

Please don't split out the trochoidal toolpaths and make them an option

This is idle speculation..before we get all worked up, lets wait and see what CNC has got to say.
I don't know any more that the rest of you, but I would be seriously surprised if something like this happend

David Conigliaro CNC Software Inc.

David Conigliaro CNC Software Inc.

• CNC Software
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
Nothing is being split out.

Joe788

Joe788

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
Thanks for the clarification, David.

Ricksterâ„¢

Ricksterâ„¢

MOBSTERATOR

• Moderators
  • 12,555 posts
So.....Does this mean they are going to find the time to fix the long overdue rest rough and rest water line
Paths?....(8 out of 10 attempts fail on my files)

Chris Rizzo

Chris Rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
I think this topic should be locked until Dave has a chance to reply. How did the last conspiracy theory firestorm of "split out" even start?... :blink:

Hey is Glen Beck a member now? :P

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*

Guest_CNC Apps Guy 1_*
  • Guests

.....before we get all worked up, lets wait and see what CNC has got to say.

gocde, the usual voice of reason is at it again.

Thank you.

I can't believe how bad you girls get your panties so wadded up. My gosh, pull yourselves together!

gcode

gcode

Serenity

• Moderators
  • 20,785 posts

How did the last conspiracy theory firestorm of "split out" even start?

I watched it go from a random thought spoken out loud to full blown internet rage on my Droid
while sitting in the Vericut seminar this afternoon.. wasn't too worried about it though.
The one that's got me nervous is the upcoming BobCad/Mastercam merger ;)

Mick

Mick

Poison Ivy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

I watched it go from a random thought spoken out loud to full blown internet rage on my Droid
while sitting in the Vericut seminar this afternoon.. wasn't too worried about it though.
The one that's got me nervous is the upcoming BobCad/Mastercam merger ;)

Vericut Seminar? Is that one of their training courses at CGTech? If it is, I was supposed to be there, but the pin was pulled on it, by my powers further up the chain :(

I hope to make it later in the year :)