Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Learning How To Program an Impeller?

#Rekd™

54 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

This is a bit of a bump too.

But a question for you at the same time.

The Roughing routine used to rough between the fins, what happened to it in 2021? 

It has changed into a different name 5 Axis Pocketing, but still the same abilities with enhanced functions. It supportS Barrel and Lens type cutter better than previous versions did.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

It has changed into a different name 5 Axis Pocketing, but still the same abilities with enhanced functions. It support Barrel and Lens type cutter better than previous versions did.  

I notice that if you pull your file up in to 2021, it wont regen.  It gives exception errors. That was why I asked. 

3 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

Too bad you couldn't limit this path to 4axis. I have a part that it would work great on. 

You can I do it all the time. Make the floor normal to the 4 Axis and make fence surfaces for the walls normal to that surface keeping everything geometry wise 4 axis in nature. Then try posting the code. I have been able to make it work on 4 Axis HMC and VMC parts. All else fails use Axis sub and unroll the shape and then use 2D Dynamic and then roll it back. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

You can I do it all the time. Make the floor normal to the 4 Axis and make fence surfaces for the walls normal to that surface keeping everything geometry wise 4 axis in nature. Then try posting the code. I have been able to make it work on 4 Axis HMC and VMC parts. All else fails use Axis sub and unroll the shape and then use 2D Dynamic and then roll it back. 

The pocket floor isn't flat.  If it were, unroll would have been my first choice. 

I may tinker with it later and see if I can force it to stick to 4axis. 

This is a section view of the floor.  

XNWgq56.png

Yes for it to work in 4 Axis the floor must be normal to the 4th Axis you are driving the toolpath with. I would look at Triangular Mesh and Pick Rough as the Pattern and Dynamic as the Type. Then use the Tool Axis control to set it to 4th Axis and give that a try on your shape. If you use a stock model and pick the stock option it should yield almost the same results as what your looking for. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Neurosis said:

I notice that if you pull your file up in to 2021, it wont regen.  It gives exception errors. That was why I asked. 

It is tore up from the floor up. I have sent the file and asked QC to help figure out why that doesn't open and work in 2021. I can make the toolpath in a new 2021 file, but you cannot do anything with that 2020 file. I would have to start over in 2021 Update 1. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Damn that sucks for legacy compatibility. 

My thoughts exactly. Like the skip smaller pockets added about X9 or 2017 so that hosed all HST toolpaths before that version. At least they can be regenerated. I cannot do anything with this file with the 5 Axis Roughing. The file comes in clean, but you cannot change anything or see anything on my system in 2021.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

I cannot do anything with this file with the 5 Axis Roughing. The file comes in clean, but you cannot change anything or see anything on my system in 2021.

Errrr....that's a big no-no on the scale of Houston, we have a problem!

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:55 AM, Neurosis said:

The pocket floor isn't flat.  If it were, unroll would have been my first choice. 

I may tinker with it later and see if I can force it to stick to 4axis. 

This is a section view of the floor.  

XNWgq56.png

Use 5 axis curve, the red line will be ur curve minus the radius of the bal em for your vector depth. draw your vectors, projecting a lines towards the wall up into the spindle, and use compensation surface as the walls. 5 axis curves works as 4th axis if you turn off the 5th axis in the parameters.

Okay everyone there is an issue in the 2020 file that was creating the problem. Matt Dean from QC pointed out the mistake and helped me fix the 2020 file that will open in 2021. There should be a pop up to alert you, but that is not happening and it being addressed. For now if you have a problem with any 5 Axis roughing toolpath coming into 2021 here is what to look for in the previous version file to save so it will open.

image.png.c582377d45771a9c7985b1b05cf4ff84.png

All the files have been updated and now everything opens with no issues in 2020 and 2021 and everyone can check the process John and I worked out to help the Manufacturing Community.

• Thanks 2