Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HS Waterline surface finish tool path gauging in mc 2022 ?

mig

in 2022 the Linking Parameters for waterline and a few other 3D toolpaths is totally different. I am by no means an expert, but it has the power to do a few more tricks than it used to. I'm thinking this might be getting in the way of how we approached this path in the old version, and I have gouged with it too. This video has a quick explanation at the end about the new features of the Linking Parameters. HTH, b'y

Below MasterCam offical video is waaay better than what I found..

9 minutes ago, gcode said:

Did you toolpath run correctly in Verify but gouge on the machine?

If this is what happened, your real machine dogleg rapids and you Mastercam machine is set to rapid in straight lines

That happened to me a few years ago, I figured mastercam was just broken :crazy:

6 minutes ago, Thee Kid™ said:

That happened to me a few years ago, I figured mastercam was just broken :crazy:

you have to set this on the Rapids page of your Control Def

If it is set to run in straight lines, and your machine doglegs, you may get real life crashes

that Verify does not detect

11 minutes ago, gcode said:

If it is set to run in straight lines, and your machine doglegs, you may get real life crashes

It could probably just test both and warn you of impending collisions for each scenario...

It's a safety hazard. 👷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Thee Kid™ said:

It could probably just test both and warn you of impending collisions for each scenario...

It cannot do this because this would be two branching paths of simulation. It also cannot ever truly match what your machine dogleg will look like, as that's based on individual axis acceleration curves- so even if Verify shows your dogleg clearing by 0.03", and thus doesn't trigger a warning, a slight change in actual machine acceleration could mean that your 0.03" of clearance now becomes -0.1" of clearance and you just clipped the part. Dogleg crashes shown in verify are at best, a guess at machine behavior defined by a fixed acceleration number in the machine def. 

Best practice is really to never be introducing G0's in your toolpath while your tool is doing a "death star run" down in the valley between part features.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Chally72 said:

Best practice is really to never be introducing G0's in your toolpath while your tool is doing a "death star run" down in the valley between part features.

Why most people need a new change of underwear running some of my 5 Axis programs. 🤣

Death star runs are fun. Years ago was improving a part. The machine was a Head-Head Horizontal SNK. The process was to rapid back to the same place and drill each of the holes on this cover for the Tomahawk missile. If I remember correctly 120 holes in the part. I think it took about 6 hours to machine this part. I reprogrammed it using curve 5 Axis to link the moves. We cut about 3 hours of run time out of the part just doing the death star run with that machine. Everyone thought it was crazy watching it run, but I told all of them .1 is 100 miles away from the part. Be glad I didn't decide to only go .001 and be only one mile from the part. No one could see the humor in that. :rofl::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, gcode said:
3 hours ago, Thee Kid™ said:

Tom could you post a screen shot of how it is supposed to be set?

As shown in the attached screenshot Verify will dogleg

If you set it to "all axis arrive simultaneously" Verify will rapid in a straight line

the max feed rate setting would be used for a machine that does not dogleg but has a Z rapid different from X and Y

You would define these feedrates in the Machine Definition 

Keep one this in mind , thIs cannot simulate your machine perfectly

Verify does not know the accel/deccel rates of your machine, or how much the part on the machine weighs

My MC dealer sent me this yesterday and it's pretty cool, but still only an estimate..

CD_rapids.png

• Thanks 1