Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T pay parity

George_Gerhard

Ok here is another question. Obviously everyone on this forum has some kind of technical experience. If you were offered $200,000 a year to sell vacuum cleaners would you? Would you be happy? Could you stand it after a few weeks? Or would you quit and go back to your original position earning $40,000 per year, were you are technically challenged, and your burning desire to learn new stuff is satisified?

I am in this situation now, I was offered a position in a completely different career, 2 miles from home, a small increase in pay up front, but the ability to earn much more is there. So in 1 year I could be earning 25 percent more, and no traveling like I do now. (I drive 47,000 miles a year)But will I be challenged the way I am now? I need to be learning new things. BTW its not selling vacuum cleaners!

Confused

George

confused.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I was in a sales position - selling Mastercam. It was a good experience I made a decent living. But I'm not suited for sales. In sales, it's "Dog eat Dog" and I'm not that way. I enjoy the technical side of things too much. True sales people do it for the "thrill of the kill". So I went back to the shop environment with no regrets. I also left due to the vast piracy problem in my old territory. I would not leave what I do even if it Quadrupled my salary GUARANTEED because I love what I do. My Grandpa always said "Find something you enjoy, figure out a way to make a living at it, and you'll never work a day in your life!". I've taken that motto to heart and I'm much happier for it. 8, 10, 12 hours a day is FAR too long to be miserable.

JM2C

James,

quote:

Grandpa always said, find something you enjoy, figure out a way to make a living at it, and you'll never work a day in your life.

Your Grandpa is or was a very wise man indeed.

quote:

With the new contract that those hosers’ went on strike for.

Damn James, this is the second time that you have used the word hoser in the last week. I am trying my best to fabricate a story line and you just keep on throwing it out there like it’s all too common or something. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Do our American friends know who the McKenzie Bros are? This is actually important to me. smile.gif

Yes, I am well paid for the work that I do - at least I am attempting to satisy the thread topic here. smile.gif

Regards, Jack

Yeah i love my type of work also. But it is a kinda kick in the a#$ when my buddy that drives for ups is maiking 26 an hour and full bennies. Overtime for anything over eight hours and eight hours pay if he gets finished early. 30 years and he gets 3grand a month pension the rest of his life. Gets on your nerves when he shows up at the shop to drop of a damn box with his shorts on. rolleyes.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Damn James, this is the second time that you have used the word hoser in the last week...

Take off eh! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I can speak canuk with the best of 'em! biggrin.gif

What erks me about the pay is I can go one place and they want to pay $11 to start if you don't have a job no matter if you have 30 years in the shop, a master machinist if you will, then, I can go to another place, and they want me to leave a job for the same pay I am getting from my old job, (about $17 to operate a cnc machine) that I have never run before its an OLD L&S lathe and mazaks, I have 0 years on these machines

cuckoo.gif

I know that some shops get $100+ a hour on some cnc machines, I know other shops get $45-60 hour on manual ones, sad that they want all the money for themselfs and the sad part is, if it wasn't for us operators,makeing good parts no one would make ANY MONEY

But thats why I want to learn mastercam, so I can make more of that pie biggrin.gifheadscratch.gif

quote:

Who out there has business cards???

Oooh I do, I do! But the week I got them, they moved my office across the street, so my address is wrong... um... and they changed my phone number, and oh yeah my fax number. Come to think of it, they forgot to put my email address on there too... But I got a whole box of them!

[ 04-20-2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've got them. The address is my "Home" office, and the phone number is the "home" office number (as I'm at this particular facility temporarily). But my e-mail addy is on there so there is a way to contact me if you have one of my cards.

They are so cheap here I had to make my own. I got tired of being asked by customers do you have a card I just printed them off. Funny thing is mine look alot better than the ones they had made and now they want to copy my design. I have about 250 cards and that is my contacts list for people I have met. You never know when an old contact might come in handy. I don't get that many cold calls but if it something I don't want I just tell thanks but have a nice day not intrested.

quote:

------------------------------

Who out there has business cards???

------------------------------

I don't hand out a company card for the two close custermers that I work with, or the small list of outside vendors I use. I have a card with my name and cell#, this way I am still available for comunication, without getting paged every 20 minutes for someone to sell me a 10 year supply of light bulbs.