Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X questions - Do we need to keep 2 ways to Project toolpaths?

All,

We are just about to start porting over the Toolpath, Project function for X (In V-9 it would be Toolpath, next, Project) and we realize this function is really outdated because it projects NCI files.

Frankly isn't as useful as Toolpath, Surface, Finish, Project which projects operations and allows for more varied shapes.

- Both require level 2 to work

- Both require reference geometry, either wireframe or surfaces.

- Toolpath, next, Project requires an NCI file.

- Toolpath Surface, Finish, Project uses an operation.

What would the consensus be about dropping Toolpath, Project (NCI projection) and have everyone use Toolpath, Surface, Finish, Project instead?

I polled the Dealers first and got the feeling that the NCI style of Project could go away. What do you guys think?

We will not drop it if there are users who find it important to getting their job done.

Thanks,

I use NCI project from time to time and like it too .

This stuff from old days sometimes is the only possible thing .

I also for example use trim toolpath function very much and I like it .

Hide it deeper in menu ,even write obsolete but leave this option intact .

That`s the strength of Mastercam ,it leaves old ,proven things and you can always have a walk around in case of ...

I have lots of old NCI 2D files that need projection on different surfaces from time to time. For example, all my logo files are templets for projection. In the bottle industry, I have all my recycle logos, brand name logos in 2D format. I use EditNCI to place them where I need them and the project NCI to get what I need. I hate reinventing the wheel.

Since you made EditNCI a chook, you may want to do the same with project NCI. At least, you won't be "flushing" a proven and useful tools "down the drain." cuckoo.gifcuckoo.gif

Just my opinion . . . biggrin.gif

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

IMHO, why not just integrate it into the "Toolpath, Surface, Finish, Project" and leave it. Frankly I can't tell you the last time I used it but it probably makes sense to keep it in one form or another.

JM2C

I've never used toolpaths/next menu/project, always use surface/finish/project. I use Blend and sometimes NCI projection types.

Well, James and Eeyore [iskander?] recommend keeping it intact. Thad's chook idea ain't bad but I kinda like James idea integrating it into the finish/project toolpaths. Code_Breaker seems to want it around as well.

As of this point from the responses thus far the consensus seems to be "keep the sucker". wink.gif

We use project nci rarely but when we do, man do we need it.

Toolpath trim is also great, it works really well to trim swept toolpaths. I could find a work around if either were eliminated but, like others have said, why reinvent the wheel?? Bury it deep somewhere so that those of us that need it can use it but dont get rid of it!!!!!

I don't think anyone brought up eliminating the trim function and I don't think you have to worry about it disappearing, way too useful. You can import a nci file and then project that using surface finish project. If someone has an example of something that surface finish project does not do that project nci does I would like to see it, please post it on the ftp. I always like to learn new things. I used to use project nci a lot for many of the same things that code_breaker brought up but surface finish project works and works on much more complicated geometry.

Hey code_breaker I see you work on blow molds, I worked for a company called Empak that sold their bottle manufacturing to Robb container. Who do you do blow molds for?

later,

Roger,

I worked for Century Die Company--Calif branch--formerly called Luther Lane Tool Company for 15 yrs. Our customer base was Silgan, Setco, KIK Corp, Clorox, Gramham Pkg, Pretium and a host of others.

Presently, I work at Fairway Molds doing injection molds.

I also do side work. In fact, CDC (above) still contracts me for the more difficult 3D work. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks for asking . . .

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

quote:

How many of you have not tried using Surface Project,Mostly becuase you did not know it was there or how it works?

cadcam,

I haven't used toolpaths/next menu/project [experimented with, didn't feel i needed this feature] because I just use the toolpaths/surface/finish/project. Blend along3d thorough for steep walls and also use nci project [which can do complex shapes as opposed to the older project function that does only simplier part shapes, i.e., cylinders, cones,etc].

but after reading some of the forum member's responses, there seems to be reasons why this is still used.

If any members have not used surface/finish/project toolpaths they should check it out. Very powerful, yes?

Thanks for all the responses. By the looks of it we will keep it. I like James' idea too, but we don't have a lot of time to spend on these kinds of functions.

Importing an NCI then projecting it is nice because now the NCI is always with the part, no matter where the part goes. But not everyone will know that and it could cause some distress.

In reality, I have used all three methods:

[*]1. Project NCI

2. Toolpath, Surface, Finish, Project

3. Import NCI with #2

I believe all three have there place and value. I feel that you should never "throw" something away that is usable. Like I said earlier, make it a chook, and then those who want to use it can, and those who don't won't.

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

I did it with a lot of ways before and nowadays :

You can post your file to get a stand-alone NCI than use it for project .

Or not to make NCI ,only to point on the other mastercam MC9 file with logo or recycling or type of plastic file than project it .

And this is a best in this story that I love (you make feature`s library with toolpathes than simply project it

Teh time for a beer biggrin.gif