Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Cad software

specv

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I solved this this morning; every possible method through Inventor was fully addressed and attacked.

The solution will astound you since there are about six different ways to pull this off; only one method completes with ease and integrity.

My first attempt was close to the final - the second attempt was moving hard and fast in the wrong direction.(both were emailed back to almost everybody that replied.)

I spent a minimum of 30hrs on this and will completely document the best solution as promised but I will likely need the weekend to complete it.

Alligators are snapping and I have to go.

Regards, Jack

I like MasterCAM for cutting firebounce.gif

SolidWorks for CAD cheers.gif

Personally, I like AutoCad for prints.....Solid works has some cool associative updating for changing the print to the model. Sometimes it isn't as user friendly as Autocad. (i.e.) You may see the edge of a part, SW recongnizes that as a siloutte and you have to section or BS the thing around just to grab a number! bonk.gifbanghead.gif That blows sometimes........

quote:

i worked thou the part in mc (1/2 hour) and pro-e(about an hour)<< still learning<< didnt run into to many problems. Now, how do you cut it?

bonk.gifbonk.gifbonk.gif

My bad I misunderstood the question. What is the question? confused.gif

Jack, I gave the model to a couple of other guys who use ProE.

One of them built it the same way that I did using Mastercam.

I told them we were looking for a simple solid solution and they re-thought it and did it with about 10 operations in the manager using draft,swept and a couple datums.

There was a trial measurement on the swept areas to hold the wall thickness 3/8.

We didn't spend enough time on it to come up with the ultra cool approach that you were looking for since it was a little hit and miss.

Sounds like you found it though congrats....

Good luck on your class tonite......

Murlin

Hey guy's,

Thank you so very much in your interest in this project. Going though the personal beating of a 30 hour learn can only build character; this is a fascinating project for any cad system.

As I mentioned before there are at least six ways to solve this exercise and the instructor actually learned another last night – don’t get me wrong this guy is absolutely awesome and it wasn’t me that came up with this amazing solution, but mine was certainly equal to his. smile.gif

Bottom line is that I received the lowest mark in the class at 91% - this might give you an idea of the sheer talent of my peers (six others got the same mark as I and four others actually pulled a higher mark.) For other professors and instructors – a class such as the one that I am fortunate enough to be in, is probably the most difficult to teach but a shear pleasure to attend.

The solution is obvious to an Inventor user, but as promised, I have completed a small tutorial within Microsoft Word and will upload to Jay’s site on the weekend (Small like in 2meg).

I will also solve this in Solidworks as a showing of good faith in a totally excellent product as well – great graphical post, bye the way kwolf (since it shows the history tree.)

Perhaps Merlin or Scott might care to add to the method they used from within Mastercam and whether they used solids, etc!

I emailed the detail drawing and part file back to anybody that emailed me - I hope I didn't overlook anyone.

I have a few other excellant leraning applications that I can put up as well or you can request an email - Thanks again. smile.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Jack, I got the model you sent, went through the history and having found the angle of incline along 45 deg edge, remodeled it in Inventor in less than 5 minutes. 2 in base extrusion, 2 chamfers,two hole center ops, 2 hole ops, and 1 three face shell op made a complete and acurate part

Hey guy’s,

It is now up at Jayson’s Ftp site.

The file is in unspecified_uploads and is titled Corner Bracket Inventor and Solidworks.zip – two Microsoft Word documents are included for a step by step screen capture for both (5.3Meg).

I have done this enough in each software and have concluded that it takes about 2 min - and it only took me 30 hours to get that fast or clever depending on how a person might look at it smile.gif

cheers.gif and thanks

Regards, Jack

quote:

I have a few other excellant leraning applications that I can put up as well or you can request an email

Jack,

That was an excellent exercise. Unfortunately, work and home responsiblities didn't allow me to participate in this. I'm interested in any other challenges that you have that I could work on in my own time. I just completed my first UG class. That would've been a kicker for a final exam!

Thanks for sharing this.

Thad

P.S. Nice hijack! wink.gif

I think the whole purpose to this exercise was the utilization of the shell command.

Mastercam, Solidworks, UG, Proe....the solid modeler works about the same.

The hard part to building any geometrical shape is the philophopsy you use to do it.

This was a great exercise Jack. I will definately be adding the shell command to my building strategy when using solids....

Murlin

Murlin,

“I think the whole purpose to this exercise was the utilization of the shell command.”

Until last week, I don’t believe it was ever used for this aged project, but many of us here, now seem to realize the real power of effectively using a shell command. I have learned more attacking this project than most can realize. (It is my own methodology of learning the hard way – it is very unusual for me to ask for help or to use the excellent help features in almost any software, I also despise reading tutorials and manuals. I tend to learn the hard way through trial, logic, and error; but be assured that once I learn something that I do indeed own this knowledge.) I believe that most that attacked this might also tend to agree.

I will start another thread with lots of other challenges – only because learning new things can be a lot of fun for everybody to better learn cad systems.

We do not have Mastercam Solids at work and it would be nice for somebody to document the last exercise as I did in Inventor and Solidworks – alternately, I am sure there would be a good reception for screen captures in UG, ProE, and Catia as well; To capture a screen in your software just push the print screen key, then alt-tab to your word processor and right click paste = done deal and it’s also pretty.

I will also be adding the shell command to my building strategy in the very near future.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack