Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Cad software

specv

quote:

We currently use AutoCAD Mechanical Desktop for this but Autodesk is replacing this with Inventor Which is way more software than i need

Well I once heard MDT 5 would be last version, but since then they released MDT 6,2004 and 2004DX.

I don't think MDT will be replaced by anything, it's possible that they remove part modeling from MDT but 2d drafting will be left intact. Inventor is just like SolidWorks and no solid modeler is suited for 2d drafting as far as I know unless you have a solid model in it.

Latest versions of Inventor always accompanied by MDT. Inventor 8 professional has 3 CDs , the seconcd CD is MDt 2004DX. wink.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned Acad 10 and progressed into confusion from there. My expertise probably lies within Mechanical desktop since it was probably the only affordable solution prior to the many solid modelers today - I am certainly most comfortable with the product but hardly an expert.

I will put a scanned drawing up as a graphic if anybody wants to tackle this in any fashion you might see fit. I suspect that Mastercam might even provide the easiest solution – I actually started to do this in mechanical but bailed since this would defeat the exercise of learning Inventor.

This is not the easy modeling exercise that it appears to be; the drawing is issued from my night school instructor in an Inventor class.

All assumptions are your own as they were mine.

Email me your native solution if you would be so kind ([email protected]) and I will consider this a learning exercise for all enthusiasts. All modeling software is fair game Rhino, Solidworks, ProE, you name it! Anything and everything goes:

Please note that this is also my first try at photobucket.com which seems effortless enough – I can only hope that this functions correctly.

photobucket.com

Regards, Jack

Our company uses Cadkey 19 and 21.0, while I am still the lone guy progging and doing shop prints in Mastercam. I just finished a course in Autodesk Inventor and found it very capable in modeling and drafting. I put the bug to the autodesk salesperson pursing us to get us to move to Inventor , they would need to include a UG translator like Cadkey 21 does before we would even consider it. I feel Solidworks would be a better choice for us and most others.

Lots of people are going for it tonight and this is really great.

I have made the same assumptions as almost everybody else regarding this task.

This picture is the closest that I have come and I am unhappy with the result but I am still pondering it and refuse to give it up – I am smarter than this to allow something so trivial to beat me, sometimes I find I just need to step back from the task for a while.

I think I am the only one to pull a solution in the class and very much look forward to seeing the instructor lead me down the proverbial path on Wednesday night. His solution/argument will get posted as well.

My incomplete solution so far

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Hi Jack, I sent you an Inventor file for the bracket. I think I came as close as you did judging from your latest pic. I was not happy with the results I got on the 1.00 dia hole on the 45 deg face. I got the 1.625 from the base up but should have created some kind of const. geom. to position the hole lateraly so mine is pasted by eye biggrin.gif Hope everyone else has fun also

Jimspac, Cammando,

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am also a Cadkey 21 user. Are you two happy with the software? I am stopped paying my AUC about 2-3 years ago, am thinking it's time to purchase Solidworks now.

Thanks,

jimspac,

Our approaches are quite different; yours is a natural method of ease, mine is constructed as if I am from the old school - this is immediately apparent when viewing the model history tree.

That's what is interesting about Inventor, Solidworks, and other cad systems today; viewing the history gives feedback for design intent, drawing discipline, and how the user plans his attack… This is fun and challenging. smile.gif

I have emailed both files back to you for consideration; I hope they open up in Inventor 7 if not then tell me how you want them.

The hole in my first attempt was a non issue.

The hole in the second attempt is an issue.

For the Catia, Unigraphics and ProE aficionados; our designer at work has the converters (about one month current) used with Mechanical Desktop and Inventor 8.

Regards, Jack

Matt,

I am not a Cadkey user ...yet. I am making a commitment to learning V21 as Cadkey is the only software the current team of engrs know. I have had training in MDT,Pro E, and now Inventor so I know the value of a true parametric cad package. I was lucky to get them to purchase Mastercam, engrs wanted UG, money is tight now. The engrs that want UG have no clue as to what they would be up against

Pretty cool part Jack.

Mastercam made it pretty easy to build a solid the old school way. I e-mailed you my interp of the part. There is not much to the history tree since I built it from offset trimmed surfaces.

But a solid is a solid???

heh smile.gif

Murlin

quote:

This is not the easy modeling exercise that it appears to be; the drawing is issued from my night school instructor in an Inventor class.

All assumptions are your own as they were mine.

Email me your native solution if you would be so kind ([email protected]) and I will consider this a learning exercise for all enthusiasts. All modeling software is fair game Rhino, Solidworks, ProE, you name it! Anything and everything goes:

Jack -> From your scanned dwg how can you put in the 1" dia hole thru the face at 1-5/8" up on the 15° face. It will break thru the top edge.

quote:

how can you put in the 1" dia hole thru the face at 1-5/8" up on the 15° face

The face is 29sumpthin degrees. You must line up with the face first. Using the old school way, rotate your part on 45 degrees. Create an edge curve on the face and a vertical line so you can analyze the angle of the face.

Then rotate the part to line up with it.

punch the hole and rotate it back.

Corse you could use the WCS if you wanted....

Murlin teh alias Jack biggrin.gif ..... couldn't resist Jack rolleyes.gif

HiJack,,Hi all

I use Mastercam , I draw few assemblies.

Jack I did the exercise, no problems came up.

So I'm thinking I missed some part of the lesson.

The only odd think I could find on the drawing was that the dotted line(phantom line)to show the intersecting of undercut walls didn't line up with the .125 fillet(partial fillet) with the pitorial of the 75 degree angle .

Scott

Brent,

Please email me your native Solidworks 2004 file and I will in turn, email back to you my two attempts in Inventor 8. (Yours is the only contribution from the Solidworks camp so far and I find this rather unusual given the amount of people in here that tout the product.)

pip,

Pictures are pretty but solutions are emailed. smile.gif

All others,

There is a very real possibility that somebody using ProE will forward a solution since the Catia and Unigraphics camps have all but mysteriously vanished. Nothing yet from the Rhino camp but I wasn’t really expecting much. frown.gif

Two people have provided Mastercam solutions so far; but that’s the sheer irony of this exercise – this should not be so damn easy in Mastercam and so damn tough in virtually every solid modeler example sent into me to date. I have spent countless hours thinking about this and at least as many hours approaching the task from virtually every conceivable angle. (I will not die until this is resolved).

Yes, my instructor is lightning fast, and yes he appears to be a rather knowledgeable person as well – he has the benefit of teaching the same learning applications day after day, class after class.

The instructor might bring me down with bricks or boulders – but don’t beat me down with this wee puny pebble. I can solve this with Mechanical Desktop but I will not since the immediate task is for me to learn to effectively use Inventor, the same applies as well to Mastercam and Solidworks.

Do I have to hike it to some yet unknown or unnamable forum?

I already know the answer to this one thanks. biggrin.gif

I will create an itemized Microsoft Word document with a graphical inserts to show how this task was ultimately completed with Inventor, for all that contribute.

Imagine the prestige of having me crawl into your corner on my knees and to tell the forum world that YOU are the GREATEST! – Hell, I’ll even wear the boxing gloves.

Now there’s an incentive trophy if I have ever heard of one; you could use this as a dart board, hang it next to the international terrorist T-shirt, or perhaps hang on the wall in your office – that way when people ask who is the beat up goofy looking guy in the picture? You can proudly say “That picture? Oh that’s just Jack ....... after I kicked his butt.”

This contest closes at 6:30PM Wednesday – that’s when I get led down the garden path in night school.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Brent, take a round solid bar and cut four 15 degree cuts on the end of the bar to where the cuts come to a sharp point at the end.

Now rotate the bar 45 degrees and look at the edge of where 2 of the 15 degree cuts make an edge. This is not 15 degrees while viewing the edge turned 45 degrees, it will be more.

The principle is the same smile.gif

Murlin