Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

several problems occuring

phill heward

im trying to mill an impeller. 

ive never used mastercam until a week ago, im completely new to it, and this is the first job ive done so i really have no clue about anything.

i dont have blade expert so am having to make do with what there is.

what is zero line error?

i set up a taper end mill and tried to do a swarf cut, this was working until yesterday evening then started coming up with zero line error.

it works if i change for a straight 3mm ball nose, but gouges through the blades.

i deleted the taper mill and made a new tool with the same numbers and seems to be working now, although its not tilting to allow for the 5 deg tool taper.

the biggest problem im having is milling the floor. I can sort of bulldoze my way through 3 axis roughing and blade swarfing. but ive never been able to get it even remotely working on the hub floor.

there is a toolbox add in for impeller swarf finishing (thats what im sometimes having luck with)

and impeller floor finishing, with and without tilt curves. im doing nothing but a complete mess with both.

any ideas or better still, anyone local or within traveling distance to milton keynes to help me get this done????

IMG_20231012_163506[1].jpg

in addition, ive tried asking at least 12 machine shops with 5 axis, all have turned it down.

turbocam quoted 15 weeks. 

the image above is from 2 days ago, i just tried again now, its cutting with the taper mill but it is not compensating for the tool taper.

18 minutes ago, phill heward said:

is that a serious offer?

Yes, people like Ron and I are contract programmers who do stuff like this all the time.   Training/programming/being onsite for first article/etc., is all part of the gig :)

Heckuva first part to start with... Most people start with a CAM system by engraving their name on a square.   I appreciate that you're jumping into 5 axis!   That's how I started, although mine was with cylinder head porting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Yes very serious offer. How I feed my family and keep a roof over my head. i was in Oregon a couple weeks ago supporting a customer. I helped reduce a run time on a proven part from 5-1/2 hour to 2 hours. They are running 40 parts a month for the next 3 years. They have gained 5 hours per part 2-1/2 per part savings and 2-1/2 hour to use on other parts. 40 hours of my time resulted in 2400 hours a year in savings for that customer. I am working on a mill/Turn part where i think we will see the same kind of savings. Two parts that saved a customer over 4000 hours proves I might know one or two things about manufacturing. Not perfect and not the best, but I have 35+ years experience so that does help.

I have been to 46 states, 30 countries and 4 continents in my travels.

" 30 countries"

Poland ?

3 hours ago, phill heward said:

what sort of timeframe and cost are we looking at for you to come here then. if its for real then i can have a word with the managers and get it organsed

Shoot me an email and I will be glad to provide you a quote. I don't discuss pricing on the forum. I am pretty free could be there in a week.

3 hours ago, phill heward said:

what sort of timeframe and cost are we looking at for you to come here then. if its for real then i can have a word with the managers and get it organsed

Ron's company supports projects with Phillips Federal for Mill-Turn Applications and Training for our government customers including NASA. Hiring him is money very well spent. Many contractors can program a part. The ones who can do what Ron does are few and far between.

Ron delivers end-to-end solutions including training, programming, testing/prove-out of posts and machine simulation (providing proper feedback to developers and crafting custom solutions for machine control), tooling and processing recommendations, and creates paradigm shifts in capability for the companies and programmers he trains.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Getting Ron or Aaron to help you would be worth it, you can't learn this kind of expertise or experience in weeks...takes a lifetime almost!

This as a first part in mastercam is wiiiiiild.

Now, over 10 years in, I'd love to get an impeller part,.. just so long as the tolerances weren't too crazy or material too hard lol

14 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Ron's company supports projects with Phillips Federal for Mill-Turn Applications and Training for our government customers including NASA. Hiring him is money very well spent. Many contractors can program a part. The ones who can do what Ron does are few and far between.

Ron delivers end-to-end solutions including training, programming, testing/prove-out of posts and machine simulation (providing proper feedback to developers and crafting custom solutions for machine control), tooling and processing recommendations, and creates paradigm shifts in capability for the companies and programmers he trains.

Humbled thank you Colin for the recommendation.

4 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Humbled thank you Colin for the recommendation.

Just giving credit where it is due my friend! Glad to work with you and happy to recommend your services.

Speaking of, I may have a project bubbling up for 5-Axis with a Heidenhain Control. The interest from the customer is big, but they aren't sure where the budget is going to come from yet. I'll loop you in if anything comes from it.

7 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Just giving credit where it is due my friend! Glad to work with you and happy to recommend your services.

Speaking of, I may have a project bubbling up for 5-Axis with a Heidenhain Control. The interest from the customer is big, but they aren't sure where the budget is going to come from yet. I'll loop you in if anything comes from it.

No worries right up my alley. No matter the machine or control you know I am up for it.

• Like 1