Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Literature on 5 axis programing

AMCNitro

If you want to be good at 5 axis there are only so many books you can read.... I find the hardest part with people is getting them to think in a "multiaxis" world.

A great exercise you can do to get your brain thinking 5 axis is to just grab random objects around you (mouse, pencil, water bottle, shoe, etc) and try to visualize how you would machine this shape on a 3 axis, then a 4 axis, then a 5 axis, then maybe a mill-turn if your brain still has some juice left in it. How can i grip this to access that types of thoughts? How will the part move as I machine material away? How will it relax once I unclamp this crazy widget? and on and on and on...

Multi-axis machining is as much of an art form as anything else. You are the artist. The process is your canvas, Cut off an ear and go to town!

• Like 6
6 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Shameless plug

Ron week on CamInstructor.

You can always call me. I liked working with you in the past and would be glad to help you when I have time.

These helped immensely!!!

Youtube has been the best resource for me. I'll toss in some accounts I have subscribed,

https://www.youtube.com/@mastercam

https://www.youtube.com/@CamInstructor

^^top two probably the best resources

https://www.youtube.com/@themcamnw

https://www.youtube.com/@MLCCADSystems

https://www.youtube.com/@CADCAMSOLUTION

^^ they have great videos not showing programming, but showing process of 5axis workflow, that can be super useful.

https://www.youtube.com/@TITANSofCNC

^^ can of course be corny as hell but if you dig deep there is a little good mastercam info. like the one titled "MasterClass CNC Programming Techniques Revealed"

a couple specific videos I really enjoyed

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4
23 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Shameless plug

Ron week on CamInstructor.

You can always call me. I liked working with you in the past and would be glad to help you when I have time.

I will absolutely look into CamInstructor.

As much as I hate to bother people, if Im stuck I will call you.  

If you like working with me you must have caught me on one of my good days lol

Thank you Ron!

21 hours ago, JParis said:

Book is on its way to me!  THank you Sir!

• Like 1

Another overlooked thing is to schedule some time with your machine tool's AEs.   Have them explain the different options to you on your machine and train you on the way it has to be applied.  Does DWO have to be applied before TCPC or after?  Does your machine use G43.3 vs. whatever, how are the DWO/TCPC parameters stored & manipulated on your machine, etc.  

Even once you have an understanding of what's possible in theory, a lot of times getting it going can be a bit daunting until you understand how things flow.  A half a day or day of training with them is worth its weight in gold.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Zoffen said:

If you want to be good at 5 axis there are only so many books you can read.... I find the hardest part with people is getting them to think in a "multiaxis" world.

A great exercise you can do to get your brain thinking 5 axis is to just grab random objects around you (mouse, pencil, water bottle, shoe, etc) and try to visualize how you would machine this shape on a 3 axis, then a 4 axis, then a 5 axis, then maybe a mill-turn if your brain still has some juice left in it. How can i grip this to access that types of thoughts? How will the part move as I machine material away? How will it relax once I unclamp this crazy widget? and on and on and on...

Multi-axis machining is as much of an art form as anything else. You are the artist. The process is your canvas, Cut off an ear and go to town!

I agree with this, and its great advice!  It's funny because I've always thought the way you explain, even though Ive been limited to 4 axis.  Its something I will keep in mind.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, Kyle F said:

These helped immensely!!!

Youtube has been the best resource for me. I'll toss in some accounts I have subscribed,

https://www.youtube.com/@mastercam

https://www.youtube.com/@CamInstructor

^^top two probably the best resources

https://www.youtube.com/@themcamnw

https://www.youtube.com/@MLCCADSystems

https://www.youtube.com/@CADCAMSOLUTION

^^ they have great videos not showing programming, but showing process of 5axis workflow, that can be super useful.

https://www.youtube.com/@TITANSofCNC

^^ can of course be corny as hell but if you dig deep there is a little good mastercam info. like the one titled "MasterClass CNC Programming Techniques Revealed"

a couple specific videos I really enjoyed

I will be watching these!

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Another overlooked thing is to schedule some time with your machine tool's AEs.   Have them explain the different options to you on your machine and train you on the way it has to be applied.  Does DWO have to be applied before TCPC or after?  Does your machine use G43.3 vs. whatever, how are the DWO/TCPC parameters stored & manipulated on your machine, etc.  

Even once you have an understanding of what's possible in theory, a lot of times getting it going can be a bit daunting until you understand how things flow.  A half a day or day of training with them is worth its weight in gold.

THIS!!

DWO and TPCs and G43.3s and all that I constantly read about on this forum, its what I want to be familiar with, I don't want to be just a programmer and not understand the finer points.  ITs a bit scary...

The opportunity has shown a bit late in my life, but I want to learn as much as I can about it 5x.

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

I will absolutely look into CamInstructor.

As much as I hate to bother people, if Im stuck I will call you.  

If you like working with me you must have caught me on one of my good days lol

Thank you Ron!

Well it was more than one day so I guess I was lucky enough to catch you on more than one good day. 😆

I am glad to help those who are helping themselves. All I ever ask of anyone I am teaching is pass it on and share it with others that is all the thanks I need.

14 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

I agree with this, and its great advice!  It's funny because I've always thought the way you explain, even though Ive been limited to 4 axis.  Its something I will keep in mind.

Thank you!

I will be watching these!

Thank you!

THIS!!

DWO and TPCs and G43.3s and all that I constantly read about on this forum, its what I want to be familiar with, I don't want to be just a programmer and not understand the finer points.  ITs a bit scary...

The opportunity has shown a bit late in my life, but I want to learn as much as I can about it 5x.

Thank you!

Your smart enough to figure it out. You impressed me with what you were doing when we meet. You got the drive and understanding now it is just a matter of doing it. In no time you will be impressed how the knowledge you have in the other things can help with 5 Axis Machining.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
On 2/1/2024 at 8:24 AM, Aaron Eberhard said:

Another overlooked thing is to schedule some time with your machine tool's AEs.  

As a Machine Tool Dealer AE, I cannot stress this enough. SO many people will fumble their way through, find a way that works-ish, then get married to that. Then WHEN issues crop up they may find themselves painted in a corner. I've last count the number of individuals I've had to untrain and retrain. Personally I don't mind it, it's part of the job, but let's face it, sometimes there's some ego involved and that can make for a difficult training experience if one is not open to change.

So, before you go down the 5-Axis MACHINE side blind, call your builder/dealer and schedule some training. It'll be worth the effort.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

As a Machine Tool Dealer AE, I cannot stress this enough. SO many people will fumble their way through, find a way that works-ish, then get married to that. Then WHEN issues crop up they may find themselves painted in a corner. I've last count the number of individuals I've had to untrain and retrain. Personally I don't mind it, it's part of the job, but let's face it, sometimes there's some ego involved and that can make for a difficult training experience if one is not open to change.

So, before you go down the 5-Axis MACHINE side blind, call your builder/dealer and schedule some training. It'll be worth the effort.

I would love to hang out with you for a day!  What machine do I need to buy? :p

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

If only we all had dealer AE's with as much talent............

On 1/31/2024 at 10:22 AM, AMCNitro said:

There's a good chance that I will have the opportunity to program a 5 axis machine in the near future.  Are there any books, videos or general information that would be helpful to have or know?  

Thank you!

Oh, hey, I have been building a YouTube channel a bit as well.  I recently had a chat with Cristian from Aether Machining.  He reached out to me because of this forum.   It might be a useful introduction if you haven't been through the easy way to make a Unified toolpath:

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Oh, hey, I have been building a YouTube channel a bit as well.  I recently had a chat with Cristian from Aether Machining.  He reached out to me because of this forum.   It might be a useful introduction if you haven't been through the easy way to make a Unified toolpath:

Great Video Aaron.

On 2/1/2024 at 7:41 AM, crazy^millman said:

Well it was more than one day so I guess I was lucky enough to catch you on more than one good day. 😆

I am glad to help those who are helping themselves. All I ever ask of anyone I am teaching is pass it on and share it with others that is all the thanks I need.

Your smart enough to figure it out. You impressed me with what you were doing when we meet. You got the drive and understanding now it is just a matter of doing it. In no time you will be impressed how the knowledge you have in the other things can help with 5 Axis Machining.

Thank you for the kind words Ron, you have more confidence in me than I do on myself.  Still going through the interview process.

Also thank you everyone who contributed, Ill be looking at ever ones suggestions and those videos.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

Thank you for the kind words Ron, you have more confidence in me than I do on myself.  Still going through the interview process.

Also thank you everyone who contributed, Ill be looking at ever ones suggestions and those videos.

you got this! I don't know what kind of parts/customers y'all have but I'll at least tell you this:

99% of my 5axis parts,.. 95+% of the machining is done in 3+2 haha! I'm still relatively new to multiaxis, about 2 years. but long story short it's really not all that crazy different from what you're used to.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

you got this! I don't know what kind of parts/customers y'all have but I'll at least tell you this:

99% of my 5axis parts,.. 95+% of the machining is done in 3+2 haha! I'm still relatively new to multiaxis, about 2 years. but long story short it's really not all that crazy different from what you're used to.

100% this!

When I teach my multiaxis classes (just did one this morning), I always start with this:

Why do you use Multiaxis toolpaths?

#1 reason - it looks badass and it makes you look cooler when it comes time for the raise!  You paid for the machine, use it all!

#2 reason - to avoid hitting the part/machine/fixture.

#3 reason - to use the shortest tool possible.

:p

I totally agree with Kyle that 90%+ is really just 3+2.  And of the remaining 10%, 75% of THAT can be covered with the steps I show in the video above.  

It's that last 2.5% that can get REeeeeaaaalllll tricky, though :)

Good luck on the interview!

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Kyle F said:

Right now, I'm doing medical, mainly testing/assembly fixtures, some prototypes and some molds, plus I'm the go to when a mold breaks down or wears out.  The place I'm trying to get into is aerospace, big company started by one of the biggest names, based in Malibu, many of you will figure it out.

I hear you and Aaron about mostly being 3+2, but I'm hoping to do 5x interpolation as well.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Kyle F said:

Couldn't have said it any better myself. :clap:

• Thanks 1