Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam to Acquire Reseller, Cimquest

crazy^millman

I see it creating more issues for all Mastercam customers. Happy for Rob and the people at Cimquest they are all good people, but what kind of signal does this send to customers and other resellers? Are we seeing this turn into another Auto Desk or Hexagon power play for the market share?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cruzila said:

Well, they certainly got all the buzzwords in there.....

They missed "leverage", you shouldn't announce something like this unless you've added how it will help us end-users "leverage" something or other against our "solution" needs.

I just text searched - 4 "solutions" and not a single "leverage". Bullocks!!

• Haha 1

The Autodesk Borg was my first thought, unfortunately, too. I've been leery of all the acquisitions.

I know nothing has changed substantially for us as end users, but I fear the day will come. You know... the 'buy now' button beside the recommended tool for your operation based on the AI's suggestion from the Sandvik library.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

The Autodesk Borg was my first thought, unfortunately, too. I've been leery of all the acquisitions.

I know nothing has changed substantially for us as end users, but I fear the day will come. You know... the 'buy now' button beside the recommended tool for your operation based on the AI's suggestion from the Sandvik library.

I have customers that even the mentioning of the word Sandvik will get me kicked out of their shops.

1 minute ago, riverhunter said:

I wonder how long it will ne before we see Mastercam go to the SAAS model and begin rolling out subscriptions only.  

That will be it's death knell if you ask me....

This company will NOT utilize software that is subscription based.....Autodesk was already dropped...Materialise is about to hit the curb...if a perpetual license isn't available it won't be here.

• Like 3

So far the Autodesk acquisition of CAMplete has been no factor. The only kind of negative so far is bug fixes and feature enhancements are mostly on a schedule now. That said, the subscription only model isn't great. I like to own stuff, not lease it. However the product is phenomenal and is a way better posting solution than anything else out there. 

Several updates per year now is how it is as opposed to how it used to be, but, I haven't run into any show stoppers so it's fine. There's always a work around... just like Mastercam. :rofl:

The AD haters were predicting doom and gloom for the product. They pretty much look like we all did when we predicted SolidWorks' demise... WRONG!  :rofl:

:coffee:

19 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

So far the Autodesk acquisition of CAMplete has been no factor. The only kind of negative so far is bug fixes and feature enhancements are mostly on a schedule now. That said, the subscription only model isn't great. I like to own stuff, not lease it. However the product is phenomenal and is a way better posting solution than anything else out there. 

Several updates per year now is how it is as opposed to how it used to be, but, I haven't run into any show stoppers so it's fine. There's always a work around... just like Mastercam. :rofl:

The AD haters were predicting doom and gloom for the product. They pretty much look like we all did when we predicted SolidWorks' demise... WRONG!  :rofl:

Not a hater a business owner and to do business with CAMPlete in my line or work would bankrupt me in a heartbeat.

10 programmers 10 user licenses. 10 machines then each user has to pay per machine 100 machine license no way to float them between users.

No floating network license anymore cost per machine plus per user account yeah that doesn't have highway robbery written all over it.

:coffee::coffee:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

10 programmers 10 user licenses. 10 machines then each user has to pay per machine 100 machine license no way to float them between users.

I think you may have been misinformed on the pricing.

Yes there is a per-user license, there is no "per-machine" cost to the best of my knowledge. We have a number of customers with 5+ machine tool builder variety with multiple machines from each builder and they only pay the per user cost. 

4 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

While true there is no actual "floating" license, I personally manage 12 (IIRC) licenses between 15 to 20 users. I have no trouble or issues doing it. I assign and revoke as needed. It takes maybe 30 seconds. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

I think you may have been misinformed on the pricing.

Yes there is a per-user license, there is no "per-machine" cost to the best of my knowledge. We have a number of customers with 5+ machine tool builder variety with multiple machines from each builder and they only pay the per user cost. 

What the Autodesk sales person started quoting us to keep being a partner and that has been many years. Either way I have what I need to get work done.

2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

What the Autodesk sales person started quoting us to keep being a partner and that has been many years. Either way I have what I need to get work done.

Software policies with nearly all software companies change as do partnership agreements from time to time.

I merely wanted to correct you in case someone took what you stated as policy and were prepared to make a decision based on that statement.

As always, it is best to contact YOUR software provider regarding policies and pricing rather than rely on Reddit, eMastercam, Practical Machinist, CNC Zone, etc... for accurate up to date information. Many unlisted factors go into pricing and policies. 

14 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

Software policies with nearly all software companies change as do partnership agreements from time to time.

I merely wanted to correct you in case someone took what you stated as policy and were prepared to make a decision based on that statement.

As always, it is best to contact YOUR software provider regarding policies and pricing rather than rely on Reddit, eMastercam, Practical Machinist, CNC Zone, etc... for accurate up to date information. Many unlisted factors go into pricing and policies. 

Fair point it is a product you support and your customers use.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting!!!  As a former employee of Services Four Automation, which was sold to Cimquest, I can't help but wonder.  What happens to Cimquest employees?  SFA's founder, Steve B. was made an employee of Cimquest when it was bought.  Will ALL Cimquest employees be welcomed into the Mastercam fold?  Are they just changing the name on the face on the building?

55 minutes ago, P_Scott said:

What happens to Cimquest employees?  SFA's founder, Steve B. was made an employee of Cimquest when it was bought. 

Steve just left my building....scheduled in for some extended time to get our DNC and NCBase up and running...

I was part of the S4A > Cimquest transition.....That was just technical on the business side.....no real early changes to the customer experience except several other AE's and services coming available...

From all I have heard, early on, no big changes other then how the business end is handled....currently Cimquest is running as it has....

On 3/20/2024 at 3:31 PM, JParis said:

From all I have heard, early on, no big changes other then how the business end is handled....currently Cimquest is running as it has....

Thanks for the info John.  I can't help but think Mastercam may look to acquire all resellers in the future.  Or at least the US ones.  How many are there in the US?  Did they acquire MACDAC too?  I know for years MACDAC answered their phones as if they were Mastercam.  That was under the OG management though so maybe it's different today.

Pete    

1 hour ago, P_Scott said:

Thanks for the info John.  I can't help but think Mastercam may look to acquire all resellers in the future.  Or at least the US ones.  How many are there in the US?  Did they acquire MACDAC too?  I know for years MACDAC answered their phones as if they were Mastercam.  That was under the OG management though so maybe it's different today.

Pete    

Macdac was purchased by Tri-Mech about 2 years ago, as well Compumachine at the same time...

My suspicion is several other resellers will be purchased, though not all and Sandvik will take sales and support in house....I have zero info to base that on just how I think they'll move ahead over the coming years