Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath editor

You have "Point" & "Pass"....Point will take you along an entire Z level of the cut......when you get the top, change Pass so that you can get the points along the next Pass and so on if you have multiple depths of cut

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, JParis said:

You have "Point" & "Pass"....Point will take you along an entire Z level of the cut......when you get the top, change Pass so that you can get the points along the next Pass and so on if you have multiple depths of cut

I don't understand this at all. When I select Toolpath editor it opens this dialog:A.PNG.bf28746310019f0ea94e81205e707228.PNG

Then, when I select Edit Point, this dialog opens:B.PNG.8b101d868b979227fbf526c253af08f8.PNG

How do I apply changes to all depths? I know I can select Section and, after clicking the green check, it will prompt me to choose the end point of my feedrate change. But it will only apply it to the first depth, and that's the rub that's got me flummoxed.

16 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

How do I apply changes to all depths? I know I can select Section and, after clicking the green check, it will prompt me to choose the end point of my feedrate change. But it will only apply it to the first depth, and that's the rub that's got me flummoxed.

If you use the up/down arrows next to Position > Pass it will cycle thru each depth cut. If you want to change the feed on more than one depth cut you have to do each depth or "pass" individually.

Also keep in mind using toolpath editor will lock the toolpath. If the toolpath needs to be regenerated you will need to manually make all of the changes again after regenerating. This is why I only use toolpath editor when really necessary.

Edit: pic for clarity

Screenshot.png

• Thanks 1

If you are using 2D contour, you want to change the partial path feed rate to apply the change to all depths
"Maybe" Toolpath editor is not a faster way
You can try using the "change at point" function
sorry, I am not good at English

image.png.e8874437fa9541aec1a7f5cff5a93759.pngimage.png.07f42099211c0895db5db38deed2ddfe.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Jake L said:

If you use the up/down arrows next to Position > Pass it will cycle thru each depth cut. If you want to change the feed on more than one depth cut you have to do each depth or "pass" individually.

Also keep in mind using toolpath editor will lock the toolpath. If the toolpath needs to be regenerated you will need to manually make all of the changes again after regenerating. This is why I only use toolpath editor when really necessary.

Edit: pic for clarity

Thanks, this was what I asked for & it works well.

38 minutes ago, bird2010 said:

If you are using 2D contour, you want to change the partial path feed rate to apply the change to all depths
"Maybe" Toolpath editor is not a faster way
You can try using the "change at point" function

This is even better! Thank you very much!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Change-at-Point is the best solution, because those changes are attached to the "chain", so the changes can be made in the Chaining Manager, and the modifications "stick" through regeneration.

Absolutely, I hadn't noticed that as an option until @bird2010 pointed it out, Every time I start to think I've got a pretty good understanding of MC's capabilities, I'm reminded of why my tag is what it is.😁

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

Absolutely, I hadn't noticed that as an option until @bird2010 pointed it out, Every time I start to think I've got a pretty good understanding of MC's capabilities, I'm reminded of why my tag is what it is.😁

Thats the best part, theres always something new to learn

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Change-at-Point is the best solution, because those changes are attached to the "chain", so the changes can be made in the Chaining Manager, and the modifications "stick" through regeneration.

I think I played with this in the past. What it does is change at point but, from there forward. You have to change the next point back to the feedrate if you only want one or a selection of segments to be altered. In addition, changing the feedrate in the OP or tool does not reset the feedrate in those subsequent OPs. There is room for improvement here. Not sure how the "lock feedrates" setting would affect this.

Another way to do this is to use Convert to 5 axis, then use a Feed control Zone on the inside pockets to slow it down.  It'll work volumetrically, so any changes to the input toolpaths will be instantly updated.    I can grab a video tomorrow if it would be helpful.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Another way to do this is to use Convert to 5 axis, then use a Feed control Zone on the inside pockets to slow it down.  It'll work volumetrically, so any changes to the input toolpaths will be instantly updated.    I can grab a video tomorrow if it would be helpful.

That sounds awesome!

9 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Went to answer with this, scrolled down through the replies and found Aaron already here.....again.... 😅

• Haha 6
9 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Will this convert the whole toolpath to point to point  even if the seed file contains arcs??

23 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

Yes- all arcs are linearized when using Convert to 5

I wish Moduleworks could output arcs when it was appropriate.

Moduleworks outputs some really sweet toolpath motion but most of the time, the file sizes are too big to run

on the old dinosaurs we've got around here.

Cimco used to offer a filtering app, but last time I looked, it hadn't been updated in years... and now

it's not on the Product list.

I often wondered how well it worked, but never had the opportunity to try it 

I did find an old brochure

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gcode said:

I wish Moduleworks could output arcs when it was appropriate.

Moduleworks outputs some really sweet toolpath motion but most of the time, the file sizes are too big to run

on the old dinosaurs we've got around here.

Cimco used to offer a filtering app, but last time I looked, it hadn't been updated in years... and now

it's not on the Product list.

I often wondered how well it worked, but never had the opportunity to try it 

I did find an old brochure

It definitely is not a simple lift- If you look at the spun-off 3 Axis Deburr for 2025, this is outputting arcs and lines, not just linearized segments, so that it has a wider availability to existing/older 3 axis posts and machines. This was a large component in the development of this toolpath.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Chally72 said:

It definitely is not a simple lift- If you look at the spun-off 3 Axis Deburr for 2025, this is outputting arcs and lines, not just linearized segments, so that it has a wider availability to existing/older 3 axis posts and machines. This was a large component in the development of this toolpath.

We have a few dinosaurs around these parts too, good to hear you guys are looking out for us when it comes time to post!

Without permanently hijacking this thread, and while you are here - can you give us the elevator pitch as to the advantage of 3 Axis Deburr over Contour 2D/3D in deburr mode? I have been looking for the major differences and have not seen a post that outlines it. Most of the info seems to be "if you like 5axis deburr, you'll love this" and I don't have multiaxis to know what I'm missing!

1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Sorry G, Dylan called it..  Time to set up a drip feed for your dinosaurs :)

Here you go, sir:

a dumb question

If my seed toolpath gas wear CDC enabled, will  Convert to 5X output the G41 D and G40 callouts

Even if it did, I don't think it would work if .1" long linear leadin/out moves were converted to .001 point to point motion

22 minutes ago, gcode said:

a dumb question

If my seed toolpath gas wear CDC enabled, will  Convert to 5X output the G41 D and G40 callouts

Even if it did, I don't think it would work if .1" long linear leadin/out moves were converted to .001 point to point motion

No, unfortunately the G40/41s don't survive the conversions.    In the background, a converted toolpath is stored as a 5 axis path (G11s in the NCI instead of G1/2/3), which doesn't have support for comp on/off.

3 hours ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Without permanently hijacking this thread, and while you are here - can you give us the elevator pitch as to the advantage of 3 Axis Deburr over Contour 2D/3D in deburr mode? I have been looking for the major differences and have not seen a post that outlines it. Most of the info seems to be "if you like 5axis deburr, you'll love this" and I don't have multiaxis to know what I'm missing!

I'm still on MC2023 so I don't have my hands on the new 3-axis deburr yet.

But for the 5-axis deburr set to 3-axis:

1. The deburr path is model driven, so you can set your "machining geometry" (surfaces) and also have avoidance geometry that will check against your tool, shank, and holder. 

2. Deburr will automatically find the "sharp" edges that need to be deburred. You can also switch this to manually define the edges to deburr.

3. Deburr will walk up and down edges of walls, it'll walk across a floor - up a fillet - then up the corner of a wall. Can Contour 2D/3D in deburr mode do this? (honest question I don't know)

I'm sure I'm missing stuff but that's the first few things that come to mind. The coolest thing to me is to be able to select a whole model and the toolpath will just automatically find and deburr the edges.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jake L said:

I'm still on MC2023 so I don't have my hands on the new 3-axis deburr yet.

But for the 5-axis deburr set to 3-axis:

1. The deburr path is model driven, so you can set your "machining geometry" (surfaces) and also have avoidance geometry that will check against your tool, shank, and holder. 

2. Deburr will automatically find the "sharp" edges that need to be deburred. You can also switch this to manually define the edges to deburr.

3. Deburr will walk up and down edges of walls, it'll walk across a floor - up a fillet - then up the corner of a wall. Can Contour 2D/3D in deburr mode do this? (honest question I don't know)

I'm sure I'm missing stuff but that's the first few things that come to mind. The coolest thing to me is to be able to select a whole model and the toolpath will just automatically find and deburr the edges.

Well, Jake got to it before me and did a great job listing out some of the reasons to use Deburr rather than 2D chamfer in contour. The latter is a 2.5D wireframe take, and the former is a fully model aware toolpath with a lot of smarts built in specifically for breaking edges.

Don't forget about the options on the advanced page, where you can mess with the minimum edge angle necessary for it to "Find" sharp edges to break when set to auto, along with some other controls to filter out edges under a length threshold, and to target specific Z zones:

image.thumb.png.87493db5c172d5e9ab04c6d3ce0fc68b.png

• Like 3

The deburr path is probably my favorite toolpath. Another few things to add to the list:

1. The ability to edge break by "depth" or by "width". Meaning if you have a very sharp edge (>90deg) you'd probably want to use "depth". But with a dull edge (<90deg) proabably want to use "width". This allows you to put a uniform edge break all around the part.

2. Deburr supports lollipop tools for undercutting. 

3. The ability to have multiple passes on one edge and generate a radius instead of a flat chamfer

I could go on and on about this toolpath, it's just awesome.

On 3/13/2024 at 8:08 PM, Aaron Eberhard said:

This assumes that you have the 5 axis license.