Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hasp for my X5 seems to have died ? Told by supplier there is no replacement available ?

18 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I have I nice vid of X4 dynamic pocketing a big ally block on a Prototrak 2axis SMX1500 mill running flat out at 4k rpm and 2000mm/min feedrate.

and a funeral and memorial service for the Protrack shortly thereafter.

• Haha 6
31 minutes ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Would be a messy job running HSM toolpaths on an open machine! We had to get out the cardboard box panel to deflect the facemill chips back then, lol.

Haha, yeah!     I showed these guys how to use Dynamic on some wear plates (4140 PH?? I can't remember), either way, took the cycle time from 27 minutes down to like 3...    And ended up just letting the stuff pile up and snow shovel it off the floor every half hour or so.    You couldn't stand within 10' of it while it was cutting.

I hate open machines.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, gcode said:

and a funeral and memorial service for the Protrack shortly thereafter.

All was well - but I had to play to get to grips with the settings.

And confidence....as Bus partner was still of the belief that you get the largest cutter you can and plough it through the part shaking the machine to pieces and sod consumable cost and part distortion :rolleyes:

But....it was faster than I thought - F2250.00000000000000HHHHH :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZHd73Ovis

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

All was well - but I had to play to get to grips with the settings.

And confidence....as Bus partner was still of the belief that you get the largest cutter you can and plough it through the part shaking the machine to pieces and sod consumable cost and part distortion :rolleyes:

But....it was faster than I thought - F2250.00000000000000HHHHH :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZHd73Ovis

Love the video, especially the wrench on the right side of the machine so you can help pull the poor thing

around the corners 

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

At least you guys had coolant and machine guards, lol! Impressed to see a knee mil running like that!

That was a heavily modified machine....I had a fab company next door and I had a powder coater as a supplier. So one Sunday morning armed with cardboard and masking tape, I removed/scrapped all the original guarding and made cardboard templates. The front plastic guards had a couple of pins sticking out the bottom so I could lift them out the way and they ran in a channel so I could slide left to right. Worked well.

Another Sunday gone though....

3 hours ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

ProtoTrak DPM SX5 was the first NC machine I ever ran, ~2013,  fond memories. Would be a messy job running HSM toolpaths on an open machine! We had to get out the cardboard box panel to deflect the facemill chips back then, lol.

Top tip for the cardboard guarding is to first coat it with parcel tape - keeps it waterproof for a surprisingly long time.... :whistle:

:sofa:

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Top tip for the cardboard guarding is to first coat it with parcel tape - keeps is waterproof for a surprisingly long time..

and Double Bubble chewing gum to seal those pesky leaks 

• Haha 4
Just now, Newbeeee™ said:

Tell me you're 'Murrican....without telling me you're 'Murrican.... :hrhr:

When I was a kid in Saudi Arabia, people would cut your throat for Double Bubble... even though

it had been in transits so long it was rock hard. 

When I got to the states and bought some fresh chewing gum, I thought something was wrong with it cause it was soft.

• Like 2

I think about 99 percent of machines i got and thats alot i would not even bother opening up a computer or mastercam as they just are way to slow

Put safe return and custom macros you make yourself for rought and finishing mostley on lathes and Mills is all about tool structure routines

G code canned cycles is just that -Some guy at fanuc dreaming up anther code to preform functions and most times they dont do what is required

I worked before mastercam came about and with some of the founders of these companies over the yrs and my advice if someone paid for a software even if its ten yrs old or not and you uprgrade the system incorporate that into the new so it can still work ------This allows older and cheaper models to be sold so people can use and become familiure and then inquire about new stuff ---------Its like getting a Kid to buy there first car as an old BMW or Merc or Ford and you will find they time to come back when they can afford the new ------------Thank for some positive ideas and maybe can get the purple one from somewere and get the old one running again and if not so be it

1 hour ago, Ulstermanone said:

I worked before mastercam came about and with some of the founders of these companies over the yrs and my advice if someone paid for a software even if its ten yrs old or not and you uprgrade the system incorporate that into the new so it can still work ------This allows older and cheaper models to be sold so people can use and become familiure and then inquire about new stuff ---------Its like getting a Kid to buy there first car as an old BMW or Merc or Ford and you will find they time to come back when they can afford the new ------------Thank for some positive ideas and maybe can get the purple one from somewere and get the old one running again and if not so be it

To use your car example, though, call up BMW, and see if they'll give you a new ECU for your 2009 325is?  If it's NLA (no longer available) as a lot of the 90s/2000s electronics are, ask them to just put in a new model's version.  When you ask for the ECU, they'll try to (kindly) tell you that it's no longer made, "Talk to junk yards and see if you can find someone to re-key it for you" (i.e., go try to find someone who switched to a software license that can give/sell you their old hasp).  When you ask them why doesn't the 2024 ECU "just incorporate that into the new one so it can work on 15 year old cars?" they'll laugh at you.    That's not a practical use case, and it would require tons of engineering to support a very slim "customer" base. 

X5 is ~15+ years old at this point.  Unfortunately, you're talking about jamming a new ECU into it.  They started supporting software licenses in the 2019 release, which was made ~7 years ago.  The software that powers the licenses now wasn't even in existence when X5 was programmed. 

To put it bluntly, if you only have a 15 year old version of the software that you haven't maintained, you're not really a customer anymore.  I can understand why you're upset, but the reality is that it's hard to justify engineering effort for someone who only buys a product once every ~15 years...  Same thing people get told when they try to get BMW to cover a blown transmission in their 15 year old car.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Ulstermanone said:

I think about 99 percent of machines i got and thats alot i would not even bother opening up a computer or mastercam as they just are way to slow

Put safe return and custom macros you make yourself for rought and finishing mostley on lathes and Mills is all about tool structure routines

G code canned cycles is just that -Some guy at fanuc dreaming up anther code to preform functions and most times they dont do what is required

But chalk and cheese.... you're talking macros and 'grammin at the control.

The work that you are doing, is not the work that a lot of the other guys are doing. Because you need CAE tools to efficiently 'gram, verify, and inspect a part when all you have is a customer supplied multi-surface model, or with no print, or a very basic print just detailing part number, material and finishes....

And I say efficiently, because yes the newer controls can import a step model, but while you're messing with it, 10bucks says the machine isn't running....

You missed the point of the old excample ----Small and older companies use older machines and software and still run today no issue ---If i want to Run Windows 95 on a 2024 computer it would take up 0.1 of its memory to still function --------I have the same issue with Allen bradely now in 2024 becuause everything prior to 2019 is not compatable !!!-----------A 1970 BMw and a 1980s as as a 2020 is alot different but they still have an engine and gearbox other than electrics so basically be careful new models cant be used for older things --We need to get back into the real world of no magic 300mm long 2mm tools and other things like special projects because 5 axis suck for speed and before any ones gets excited last big machine i was on had 11 Axis and not to many software packages out there to help -------If something is 15yrs  old and owned outright it would be so hard to create a lience  file to look after and make obsolete the Hasp !!!

6 hours ago, Ulstermanone said:

If i want to Run Windows 95 on a 2024 computer it would take up 0.1 of its memory to still function

Yeah, but try installing Windows 95 on a 2024 computer.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Singularity said:

Speaking of which, if patterns hold, we should be due for another brand new interface and version naming system again in a couple years.  Any bets?

Or a merger of sorts??? Lots of changes in the last few years in ownership in the CAD/CAM world.

1 hour ago, #Rekd™ said:

Or a merger of sorts??? Lots of changes in the last few years in ownership in the CAD/CAM world.

Programmed by MasterCimaGibbs, post output using Postability, and simulated using IcamiCut verification.
One. Stop. Shop.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Singularity said:

Speaking of which, if patterns hold, we should be due for another brand new interface and version naming system again in a couple years.  Any bets?

Just think how fast and efficient, a fully customisable hotkey driven interface would be.... :sofa:

• Haha 3
22 hours ago, Ulstermanone said:

You missed the point of the old excample ----Small and older companies use older machines and software and still run today no issue ---If i want to Run Windows 95 on a 2024 computer it would take up 0.1 of its memory to still function --------I have the same issue with Allen bradely now in 2024 becuause everything prior to 2019 is not compatable !!!-----------A 1970 BMw and a 1980s as as a 2020 is alot different but they still have an engine and gearbox other than electrics so basically be careful new models cant be used for older things --We need to get back into the real world of no magic 300mm long 2mm tools and other things like special projects because 5 axis suck for speed and before any ones gets excited last big machine i was on had 11 Axis and not to many software packages out there to help -------If something is 15yrs  old and owned outright it would be so hard to create a lience  file to look after and make obsolete the Hasp !!!

I'd absolutely LOVE a 2002 Turbo to smoke around in. But only on weekends....not a day-to-day.

Same for machines. Horses for courses - depends upon what work you're doing, and whether you have a constant steady product. If you have high turnover having to compete in the big wide world as a job shop, you need the flexibility of all the latest tools, machinery, and processes. Otherwise, you're not competitive....

On 3/25/2024 at 12:29 PM, Ulstermanone said:

You seem to have all the answers, so why bother asking questions here? Either contact Mastercam, or a reseller and see if there is an option, or do not. But to throw a fit on them not supporting 15 year old software seems a little illogical.  

I know several small shops that do just fine without CAM.

One shop has a bunch of bar feed Okumas. If you know anything about Okuma lathes, you'll know

their canned roughing/finishing cycles are world class. They got along fine programming at the control

and the owner is doing very well for himself. Occasionally they would get a part that had geometry issues the Okuma

control couldn't solve.  He'd give me a call, I'd whip out a finish toolpath  and a bill for a 1/2 hour minimum of $45.

No doubt it could have all been done  better with Mastercam or some other CAM software but he didn't

want to invest the $$ to buy it or the time to learn it.

Eventually, he hired a guy with a cracked copy of AutoCad and they started using that to solve math the Okuma control

couldn't handle.  That was one more customer gone. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gcode said:

If you know anything about Okuma lathes, you'll know

their canned roughing/finishing cycles are world class.

Totally agree.  Their turning cycles had quite a lot more capability over Fanuc canned cycles in the early mid nineties, and I believe continue to do so.

Their IGF onboard programming produces code bloat, and has some limitations that only CAM (or CAD for coordinates) can solve, but like you, I know several shops that use it over CAM.

Our C-Axis lathe has a Siemens 840D controller on it with shop turn software. The Shop Turn software is really powerful and easy to use. We have MC lathe license but the Shop Turn software for R&D one offs is really convenient as you can "copy", "cut", "paste" from existing programs. 

• Like 2
On 3/25/2024 at 8:04 AM, SuperHoneyBadger said:

ProtoTrak DPM SX5 was the first NC machine I ever ran, ~2013,  fond memories. Would be a messy job running HSM toolpaths on an open machine! We had to get out the cardboard box panel to deflect the facemill chips back then, lol.

The Good Old Old Days Of Dodging  Hot Chips and Coolant ,Or at the least Using  The Wood Or whatever As a shield While Using A Spray bottle  for Coolant Sprays!👨‍🚒 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1