Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T High Feed Cutters

GREG

James,

See Here Seco claims chip loads on the order of 3mm per tooth or about .125 IPT in steel at .04 DOC.

Greg,

Who made this claim and on what basis was it substaintiated?? I would ask your machine tool builder. We use these with great sucess in 45 Rc H-13. We run 750 RPM and .04 DOC at 75 IPM full engagement with a 2.5" dia mill and it cuts like butta. We tested up to 150 IPM with sucess but brought the feed back down because of interrupted cuts. These things are great but when they fail it is catastrophic and reeeeeeeeal ugly eek.gif . If its true that it is bad for ceramic bearing machines there will be a grown man crying in this office today. frown.gif

I think the theory of these

highfeed.jpg

is the big radius on the bottom of the tool. What you end up with is a chip thinning condition just like a shallow radial DOC with an end mill where you can pump up the feed rate because the chip gets so thin. In this case the radius on the bottom of the tool is like 30 in. or something huge like that. So what happens is the chip gets so thin that the feedrate can go through the roof. Very impressive and kinda scary to see run. eek.gif

quote:

We used the Iscar version on a stainless job. Wonderful tool!

+1

Feed Mill, too cool. Cuts like butter in 420ss. Very scary, but mesmerizing to look at at the same time.

Also consider Mitsubishi's AJX type cutter.

AJX

A little slower because (2.5" Dia.) has only 3 flutes compared to Iscar's 5, but the tool seems to run a lot quiter, and the inserts last a lot longer. As to damage being done to ceramic bearing, I don't know because I don't have them.

• 6 months later...

We've used these on 15-5 sst at 118 ipm, .07 doc. My Wakasha cutter uses an insert angled at 10 degrees. (If memory serves) They are very cool. In addition to the chip thinning they also transfer much of the high radial feedrate forces to axial load, making them quite stable. Run with an air blast to evacuate chips, have yet to get a failure while in-cut. Used on a Mori Seiki NV5000 w/ceramic bearings.

I don't get the recommendation against using them with ceramic bearing spindles. If you're lucky enough to have a machine with ceramic bearings then you get a spindle with better stiffness and ridgitity. I could perhaps see an issue with extremely high rpm, but with these cutters you'll probably never exceed 4000 rpm. So I don't get it... then again I'm not a mechanical engineer.

This is the Toshiba cutter going to town in some low carbon steel.

http://www.usshoptools.com/current_year/wh...ideo%20mpg1.mpg

Mitsubishi has videos of the AJX on their website if you'd like to see it in action.

-Chuck

• 8 months later...

The thing about high-feed cutters and ceramic bearings is that when traveling at warp speed, the tool wear curve is diffrent.

This causes an increase in spindle side pressure when you try to get the most out of your inserts........

Trust me, I can trash out a ceramic headstock in to time on nickle aloy... biggrin.gif

quote:

Are you running it on your new Fadal?

HAHHAHA!

You are joking right!

lol our fa-don't is only a 40 taper belt driven(what a joke)

I ran it on our 30hp 50 taper Takumi-Seiki last night.

Took it easy to start, .06 doc,450 rpm,130 ipm.

in 4150 pht with an 80% stepover.

nice and smooth like a babies bottom!

it will run nicely with air blast,but it gets too dang hot so I flood the hell out of it and all is good.