Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

startup config file

PROG_MAN_DO

Hey..

Can someone try this and let me know if the same thing happens to them? Create a brian.cfg and edit your shortcut target line as follows and tell me what happens.

C:Mcam9Mill9.exe brian.cfg

If this works like I think it will then try bob.cfg

C:Mcam9Mill9.exe brian.cfg

Thanks

banghead.gif

We are running Win2K P2.8GHz..The problem is I told the guys in the shop they could run their own config files, so Bob wanted his own. I created a shortcut on the desktop and changed the target accordingly and added bob.cfg and MC starts fine but it boots up with mill9m.cfg not with bob.cfg same thing with brian.cfg..if I rename it to test.cfg it comes up with test.cfg active just like it should...

What's up?... headscratch.gif

Russell,

We had the same problem with Jimmill.cfg or Jim.cfg, I don't remember which. It kept switching to the metric cfg. We never did get it to work right so we quit using it. Eventually, I think Jim would open MC, manually change the cfg and then it ran fine from there. It was the shortcut that seemed to be faulty.

Thad

Russell, I have setup a shortcut on each users desktop (win2k) the same way you have it in your 1st post. Works fine, every time. I cant see how the file name would make any difference, but I use eg. Mill9F.cfg for Fred, Mill9D.cfg for Dave etc.

I had trouble w/ Windows XP and file permissions when we switched from NT to XP a while back. Maybe you can't permanently change a config file, or it defaults to the original if you don't have the file permission parameters set properly in XP that allow you to make permanent changes.

I had my IT guy fix the rights so I could change the cfg files and now they stay changed and always launch properly.

Surprise, surprise...ANOTHER Windows problem!! eek.gif

Make sure set the custom config file to the current config file. Go to screen-configure, select the files tab and at the bottom make sure to have the current configuration file set to the custom file. I have 4 different machines that I program for and 4 Mcam icons each with it's own config file. We are using Windows XP Pro. Also had the same problem as Jim at Gentex when we went to XP. Had to have administrative rights to get things to work as they did in Win 2000. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Tried every suggestion and still could not get personalized icons on the desktop that would read specific .cfg file.

Here is my solution.

Double install Mcam on your computer, just create another folder like “LarsMcam” Then customize the mill9.cfg file in that folder to your personalized settings. One of the wonderful things about Mcam is beside it is not very big on a 20 G hard drive, is that you in the configurations can set were you want to pull your C-hooks, tool library, posts and etc. So you can redirect all these settings to your original folder and delete them in “LarsMcam” folder.

Lars

Russell,

This is how I created my shortcuts. Create a short to mastercam. Then right click on the icon, go to properties button and after the .exe leave a space then put in the file path of the cfg file you want. IE "C:Mcam9MILL9.EXE X:CollaborationCNCDataTemplates_NCPMCAMMILL9MILLCENTERS.cfg" and this one "C:Mcam9Router9.exe X:CollaborationCNCDataTemplates_NCPMCAMROUTER9.CFG /1" we had to add the space /1 for the nethasp on routers to work on our network.

I have serveral shortcuts on my desktop for all the machines that we use here.

HTH

Glenn

P.S. As you can see, we mapped our server to X: so our configs are on our server and everyone uses the same config. file. Change one, change all. Sometimes though, if our script that mappes the server to drive X hasn't finished running, you will default to the cfg file in the MCAM folder. So we routinly save the server cfg to the C drive config.

We have similar .cfg goofiness here...

I've attempted to have 4 config files in the mill9 folder...each with it's respective icon and target on the desktop.

No matter which icon I would select, it would always open "spencer.cfg". Even if I tried to open the basic "mill9.cfg" in the screen>configure pull down, upon closing the dialog, again the SAME spencer.cfg config would open! No matter what .cfg I tried to open, it would always switch to spencer.cfg.

I tried trouble shooting/fixing it a zillion different ways, but finally chalked it up to the NAME of the config being the only discernable factor. Which again was spencer.cfg

Got me. confused.gifeek.gif V9.1 sp2 no maintence

CMR

When you say it would open to spencer.cfg, Was that what it was really using? or would it just say spencer.cfg when you looked at it in screen config? When ever we look at screen config, it shows MILL9M.CFG(metric). But that is not what it is using. We don't have any of our cfg files on the C drive. They are all on the server. All of of cfg files point to different places to save the MC9 files, NC files and use a different post processor. This is how I know that it uses the different cfg when the different shortcuts are accepted.

HTH

Glenn

P.S. Several people here had said that it was defaulting to the metric cfg untill I showed them how I knew that it wasn't.

That particular user (Spencer) has his toolbars configured in a certain manner, thus I could immediatly tell that his config (spencer.cfg) was active .

I tried taking another users .cfg file that would operate proplerly, and merely change the name to "spencer.cfg", and it would again automatically start switching to it.

Also, we have all .cfg files stored locally (c:), not on the server (z:). Maybe I should try moving them to z: and seeing how they react.

We change them from time to time. They are machine specific. The thing that works great for us on the server is that when we make a change, it is made for every seat of mastercam. Again, we have no problems with this. It works great. If I can help anyone make it work as well for them I'd be happy to try.

Glenn