Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

BIG CRASH !

cadcamjim

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$8 million

2 traveling gantries with 3 spindles each

230 foot by 25 foot wide bed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy S#!t gotta pic of that thing?

+1 to that eek.gif

Bet you don't have the guy who worked for Domino's last week running that thing!!

Does the operator have a telescope to see if the thing broke a cutter 200' away?!!?

C

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been able to find a picture of it.

Its an SNK, but they don't even show a machine like it on the SNK webpage.

When the south gantry is ruffing wing skins,

it take 2 guys with push brooms to keep the chips out of the way.

It rapids at 600 IPM for the X and Y axis,

400 for the Z. The A and b rapid a 240 dpm,

That looks pretty slow on sometime that big,

but there is a whole lot of iron moving around out there.

I usually do all my 5 axis positioning as a

400ipm curv5X toolpath. That way I always know exactly where the tool is.

Seriously, Haas has some serious issues with this pull stud dilema. I had no idea that so many people had this same problem. I was gonna post the picture of the pull stud.I forgot the Haas tech guy took it to be Rockwell tested. mad.gif

quote:

I'm an hour away.......Be there soon with my digital camera!

There was talk about having an Open House

this spring, but its summer now and it never happened. I was looking forward to inviting

some of the local forum.

quote:

That thing aint normal thats huge

From the perspective of that picture, you are only seeing about 2/3 of the table. There is another 70 feet of table behind the guy taking the picture.

We run Boing C-17 wing skins on the high speed gantry. There are 8 different parts, but the biggest starts out as a piece of stock 110 feet by 20 feet by 1.25 thick. It was all programmed

with Mastercam and Predator VCNC. I wasn't involved in that project, but I've done quite a bit titanium work on the high torque end of this machine.

I don't think Dennis used any scallop toolpaths,

but there were a bunch of curv5X toolpaths.

They had to buy him a new Xeon workstation to get the job done.

I was only throwin out a number crunching path, thats amazing. That i hope is the biggest of your machines oh any idea about weight????Thats gotta be heavy, you guys got 20 feet of concrete under that? How about tolerance whats the accuracy over 250 feet. I gotta see it, some day I will.

Rob,

Check your email.

I have no clue how much it weighs, but they did

pour a 30 foot slab of concrete for a foundation.

The longest part we've run is 110 feet and we

held +/-.010 tolerances on that. The biggest problem we have is expansion and contraction

of the machine and workpiece due to temperature

changes. They are talking about enclosing it

in an air condintioned room to help with that.

We had two pull studs in 1 week break on us. They were thru spindle coolant ones, but the actually broke and the end of the threads. We came to the conclusion that our custom wrenches we made were a little too beefy and we were actually tightening the pullstuds too tight. We cut down the handles on our wrenches and haven't had a problem since.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...They are talking about enclosing it

in an air condintioned room to help with that...

Acramil in City of Industry did that with one of their 120' machines. Said it works well for keeping things as they should be. They had a guy with a broom and another guy with a hose spraying the chips off the part. They kept the coolant tank temp regulated as well. When you gotta hold any kind of tolerance on big parts you gotta keep things stable else you'll be out $50-$100k in a heartbeat. The thermal expansion on Aluminum is 23.6 x 10^-6/ºC, in.